• Please log in to reply
179 replies to this topic

#61 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10629 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 11:44 AM

Actually I spoke with him and found out I've seen his art exhibition in NYC last year. I never thought it would be the same guy. Small world.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#62 pats0n

pats0n

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 11:01 PM

Actually I spoke with him and found out I've seen his art exhibition in NYC last year. I never thought it would be the same guy. Small world.

Cool ! You went to Makarevich art exhibition in NY ? Was it his personal or with group of other people ?

In drinking frenzy of last night I forgot to ask Igor (guy who introduced us to Andrei) for his e-mail, but hi has mine, if he did not lose it - if you see him just nag him for that pictures of us with Makarevich (you can give him my e-mail again :P

Anyway, here is few first pics from Wetpixel Ocean Safari - not the best ones, just sampler:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

taken with Nikon D300 + Nikkor 12-24mm in Sea&Sea housing with NX Compact Dome with two YS-250 strobes.

Alexander Safonov
http://pats0n.livejournal.com

Edited by pats0n, 02 July 2008 - 11:49 PM.

#63 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10629 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 12:12 AM

I'm impressed my billfish ID is spot on for once.
Alex, there's a distinct lack of yellow/red in your pics. The common dolphins as you know have a light yellow patch and the gannets are really just blondes like you :P. Even the limbatus in your picture should have a bronzish appearance.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#64 stewsmith

stewsmith

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1586 posts
  • Interests:World travel
    diving
    photography
    winding Drew up

Posted 03 July 2008 - 03:30 AM

AWESOME. I love the sailfish shot

Edited by stewsmith, 03 July 2008 - 03:31 AM.

Canon 5D MK2 - Sea and Sea housed - 17-40L 100mm - Sigma 15mm FE - twin YS250 pro's and gadgets galore

http://www.euphoticzoneimaging.com

#65 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 05:28 AM

Yes, that sailfish shot, and the dolphins are both awesome shots. I agree w/ Drew - maybe a warmer white balance would help?

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#66 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8373 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 05:43 AM

Wow looks fantastic.

Alex are you using a dioptre on your 12-24mm? That smudging in the corners is what mine produces if I don't use a dioptre?

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (waiting for housing).

#67 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 06:21 AM

Wow; gotta go see this ASAP.
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#68 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10629 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 06:22 AM

Yes, that sailfish shot, and the dolphins are both awesome shots. I agree w/ Drew - maybe a warmer white balance would help?

Cheers
James

James, I was going to use my Hrvatski accent but Alex is russian so it'd be insulting :)

Alex are you using a dioptre on your 12-24mm? That smudging in the corners is what mine produces if I don't use a dioptre?

Alex

Hey Alex, stop talking to yourself :lol:. You also need to get more complimentary phrases...Wow it's fantastic has been used already. :P Oh and no soft corner debates on this thread please. :blink:

Speaking of soft corners, Herb, I figured out the 12-24 needed a thicker 25mm extension to help the corners. It's now pretty decent even at f4.5.

Hey Safanov
One of your 250s died after the first baitball, didn't it?

Jeff
It's still going NOW! Get a flight quick! I just notified a film crew about it and they are dispatching a team like right now.

Drew

#69 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 09:02 AM

Jeff
It's still going NOW! Get a flight quick! I just notified a film crew about it and they are dispatching a team like right now.

Next year, this time SA is on the books.
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#70 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10629 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 09:45 AM

Well there may be a WP boat next year. You just have to convince Eric and me. LOL

Drew

#71 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 03 July 2008 - 04:40 PM

Damn you, Drew! Temptation...

Next year is my year to stay home. I mean, aside from the 100 days or so of travel I already have booked.
eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#72 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10629 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 07:20 PM

You're the guy (baitballs with whales!) with the horns and I'm tempting (thousands of dolphins!) you? I do submit thou doth protest (thousands of sharks!) too much (some breaching too!) methinks. So what's another 3 (thousand humpbacks) weeks to the hundred(s of gannets diving on your head!) odd days? Stay home? I consider South Africa home 1(mega baitball) month of the year. :P

WP subliminal messaging courtesy of the RahDiAHTor man.

Drew

#73 pats0n

pats0n

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 12:47 AM

I'm impressed my billfish ID is spot on for once.
Alex, there's a distinct lack of yellow/red in your pics. The common dolphins as you know have a light yellow patch and the gannets are really just blondes like you :blink:. Even the limbatus in your picture should have a bronzish appearance.

Well Drew, it will take few days before my WB will be restored to normal after all these adventures and I will be ready to have fresh look at images and process them properly :P) And I'm not just blonde, I'm blonde with yellow fins ! :)

On serious note - thanks for advice, will think about your notes next time I open Lightroom.

There is my Makarevich pictures ???!! :lol:

Edited by pats0n, 04 July 2008 - 02:03 AM.

#74 pats0n

pats0n

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 01:01 AM

Cheers
James

James, thanks for advice - will definitely try warmer WB next time I run Lightroom :)

Wow looks fantastic.

Alex

Alex, I don't know what dioptre for 12-24mm is ;(( - will google it now, but I certainly don't use add-ons of any kind for lens. Your advice and feedback appreciated a lot, I'm big fan of your photos and very curious about all new shooting techniques you are using ! Thanks !

James, I was going to use my Hrvatski accent but Alex is russian so it'd be insulting :blink:
Hey Alex, stop talking to yourself :lol:. You also need to get more complimentary phrases...Wow it's fantastic has been used already. :P Oh and no soft corner debates on this thread please. :D

Speaking of soft corners, Herb, I figured out the 12-24 needed a thicker 25mm extension to help the corners. It's now pretty decent even at f4.5.

Hey Safanov
One of your 250s died after the first baitball, didn't it?

Jeff

Drew, you are right, I replaced one of YS-250 with died battery with spare YS-110. Bottom three shots are done YS-110 + YS-250.

Good luck with activity and shooting ! I definitely want to come on WP boat (if any) next year, I will bring my yellow fins again ! :lol:

You're the guy (baitballs with whales!) with the horns and I'm tempting (thousands of dolphins!) you? I do submit thou doth protest (thousands of sharks!) too much (some breaching too!) methinks. So what's another 3 (thousand humpbacks) weeks to the hundred(s of gannets diving on your head!) odd days? Stay home? I consider South Africa home 1(mega baitball) month of the year. :)

WP subliminal messaging courtesy of the RahDiAHTor man.

I'm having baitballs every night now ! Very big baitballs ! %)

Edited by pats0n, 04 July 2008 - 02:10 AM.

#75 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10629 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 01:58 PM

Just went out this morning and again the players were all out there. Just not a lot of action as it seems the predators are all satiated. I'm skipping tomorrow to concentrate on my volunteer project. Hopefully the guys heading out will find some great activity.

Posted Image
The great torpedo whale... Bryde's (B.Edeni)

Drew

#76 pats0n

pats0n

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 02:22 PM

Just went out this morning and again the players were all out there. Just not a lot of action as it seems the predators are all satiated. I'm skipping tomorrow to concentrate on my volunteer project. Hopefully the guys heading out will find some great activity.

The great torpedo whale... Bryde's (B.Edeni)

Great shot Drew - decent bryde's shot like this is one thing I want to do next time I go to Wild Coast. Good luck !

Edited by pats0n, 04 July 2008 - 02:22 PM.

#77 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10629 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 09:26 PM

Posted Image
More b/w shots.... this time of 60+ gannets in the water at the same time. It should be added that this baitball at that time was at 35ft/11m. A few scientific studies of the Morus Capensis claim max depth depth of the dive alone is 9m but I've seen them hit 14m/50ft to hit prey. They also can swim quite a long time (up to 20 seconds) before having to surface. I've seen them down at 70ft/20m before. They may not be shearwater class of divers but they sure are spectacular to watch.
Posted Image

Drew

#78 pats0n

pats0n

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 09:29 PM

More b/w shots.... this time of 60+ gannets in the water at the same time.
[/quote]

Aarrrghhh... 60 gannets, whatever. ... (crying) I had to extend, I had ! :P

Edited by pats0n, 04 July 2008 - 09:30 PM.

#79 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 04:56 AM

What a spectacular dolphin shot, like jets in the water! Wonder how those gannets clear their ears? :P

#80 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10629 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 11:01 AM

Today was a nice day. Had another Bryde's whale buzz the baitball but we all missed it AGAIN! I think I'm going to just wait for the whales to come through and not shoot anything else. That's the 2nd time I missed it.
The usual predators were again present in great numbers to feast on the red eye herring baitball. Hopefully I'll catch the Bryde's again tomorrow but I may not head out.

What a spectacular dolphin shot, like jets in the water! Wonder how those gannets clear their ears? :P

Errr Jeff the shots are mostly of gannets. They do exhale through their beaks :)

Drew