• Please log in to reply
179 replies to this topic

#81 pats0n

pats0n

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 11:22 AM

Today was a nice day. Had another Bryde's whale buzz the baitball but we all missed it AGAIN! I think I'm going to just wait for the whales to come through and not shoot anything else. That's the 2nd time I missed it.
The usual predators were again present in great numbers to feast on the red eye herring baitball. Hopefully I'll catch the Bryde's again tomorrow but I may not head out.
Errr Jeff the shots are mostly of gannets. They do exhale through their beaks :P

I had to extend I had to extend I had to extend I had to extend I had to extend I had to extend

#82 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4570 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 01:02 PM

Errr Jeff the shots are mostly of gannets. They do exhale through their beaks :)

I was trying to be funny; guess I wasn't. :P
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#83 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10596 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 07:42 PM

Good thing about church is the kids are all going there... so I'm free to go out to sea in the morning instead of working with the kids. :P
Tomorrow I'll be heading out with the guys from EarthTouch.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#84 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10596 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 01:41 AM

Very nice sunday morning. Started out with hundreds of birds diving and we jumped in on a VERY small baitball and still had 20 odd dolphins and sharks chowing. Then as we had our surface interval and let the 2 teenage sons of my host have a turn in the water... a Bryde's whale pops its head out of the water mouth open, devouring the redeye herring which were so abundant and feeding on the surface. There was so much fish that the gannets stopped diving because they were FAT and there weren't enough dolphins around. Even the sharks look disinterested today. I was laughing at the newbies who thought this activity was normal every year. Oh to have a dry week or 3 again just to show them what waiting is like really.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#85 vazuw

vazuw

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 07:40 AM

Those shots are AWSOME, wow. Ive got to go :P

#86 pats0n

pats0n

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 08:18 AM

Very nice sunday morning. Started out with hundreds of birds diving and we jumped in on a VERY small baitball and still had 20 odd dolphins and sharks chowing. Then as we had our surface interval and let the 2 teenage sons of my host have a turn in the water... a Bryde's whale pops its head out of the water mouth open, devouring the redeye herring which were so abundant and feeding on the surface. There was so much fish that the gannets stopped diving because they were FAT and there weren't enough dolphins around. Even the sharks look disinterested today. I was laughing at the newbies who thought this activity was normal every year. Oh to have a dry week or 3 again just to show them what waiting is like really.

Sounds fantastic, Drew, I'm very glad you had such a wonderful days this year ! How long it may last theoretically ?

#87 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10596 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 12:56 AM

Today was very interesting.
I was on the Earth Touch boat with Barry SkinStad (you springbok fans should know his very big cousin), who likes to launch predawn. We went out to a gorgeous predawn sky and I spotted some birds about 3km away. Turned out to be a major feast with Bryde's whales, sharks and common dolphins with gannets thrown in. It was moving quickly and the guys tried to jump in front of it but they failed 3-4 times before they managed 3 minutes in the melee of predators and prey. We'd all assumed it was redeye but Barry caught a sardine with his barehands while shooting the baitball (well it was injured!) and so we saw a mixed bag of sardines and red eye herring, not the first time this has happened.
The viz was ok but not great. Barry had 2 dusky sharks bump him for good measure and we saw 2 husky bull sharks again. Seems the action continues to be good but the weather is moving in.

Drew

#88 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10596 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 10:41 PM

A few shots of topside pandamonium. Sharks and dolphins punching the baitball from under the water, pushing the herring right out of the ocean:

Posted Image
Posted Image

Drew

#89 pats0n

pats0n

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 11:43 PM

A few shots of topside pandamonium. Sharks and dolphins punching the baitball from under the water, pushing the herring right out of the ocean:

Unbelievable ! Small fish flying in the air - such an action. Can't wait to come back next year.

Thank you Drew again for sharing with us this incredible experience !

#90 Pierce

Pierce

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 01:55 AM

Sounds great. When do we see some pix? :lol:

Yes really I also want to see some new pix.

#91 davichin

davichin

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1104 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 02:10 PM

I do not know any english words to describe the envy I feel! :lol: :lol:

did you take the pictures down? as I cannot see any.
D300, D7000. 10.5, 10-17, 16, 10-20, 17-70, 60, 105, 150 Hugyfots, Subtronic Novas, Seacams 350, YS250s, YS-D1s
Aqualung Team
www.davidbarrio.com

#92 pats0n

pats0n

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 02:55 PM

I do not know any english words to describe the envy I feel! :lol: :lol:

did you take the pictures down? as I cannot see any.

Drew and myself posted few pics above - please go to previous pages :lol:

#93 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10596 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 11:25 PM

Didn't launch today despite the good weather due to the arrival of present day living legend Kingsley Holgate and his family. Kingsley is on his last leg of circumnavigating the African continent and his "one net one life" anti-malarial campaign for the entire continent has been a success.
Ross Kingsley, his son, whom I'd met years ago, accompanied him on this epic journey. I'll write more about it in another thread.
Some things are more important than baitballs and action at sea. :lol:

Drew

#94 philsokol

philsokol

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 12:03 PM

Drew, your report and pics have been awesome! I've already booked my trip for next year :lol:

Phil
Phil Sokol
Canon 7D, Subal, dual Inon Z240's, Tokina 10-17, Canon 60mm and 100mm
"Hey Dean! How do you work this crazy thing?!" Jerry Lewis

#95 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10596 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 01:17 AM

Sorry no updates for the next 2 days... my dirty weekend time :lol:

Drew

#96 pmooney

pmooney

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1228 posts
  • Interests:Growing Grapes

Posted 10 July 2008 - 01:26 AM

Sorry no updates for the next 2 days... my dirty weekend time :lol:

What - your not washing .......... :lol: :lol:

#97 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10596 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 09:32 AM

Maybe that's your idea of a dirty weekend Peter, but you are older than I am. :)

Drew

#98 AMW

AMW

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 420 posts
  • Interests:Boxing, English Premier League, SCUBA, aqua-culturing SPS and LPS, yoga

Posted 10 July 2008 - 01:39 PM

Cool ! You went to Makarevich art exhibition in NY ? Was it his personal or with group of other people ?

In drinking frenzy of last night I forgot to ask Igor (guy who introduced us to Andrei) for his e-mail, but hi has mine, if he did not lose it - if you see him just nag him for that pictures of us with Makarevich (you can give him my e-mail again :)

Anyway, here is few first pics from Wetpixel Ocean Safari - not the best ones, just sampler:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

taken with Nikon D300 + Nikkor 12-24mm in Sea&Sea housing with NX Compact Dome with two YS-250 strobes.

Alexander Safonov
http://pats0n.livejournal.com

Just fantastic images!!!!!!!!

#99 antacid

antacid

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 03:56 PM

cool stuff!

just curious: do you guys wear helmets or something when you dive? what happens when a gannet dives on you?

or is this just a dumb blonde question... heh heh.

how do i get myself on a trip like this for next year?
www.colouredshots.com
Kodak disposable film camera

"I use lousy equipment. I charge very high rates."

#100 shawnh

shawnh

Shawk Man

• Senior Moderator
  • 1398 posts
  • Interests:UW Video, UW Photography Diving, Telemark Skiing, Cycling, Travel

Posted 10 July 2008 - 07:06 PM

He he. The ocean safari is never the same and never predictable. You have no guarantees of any one thing. You will certainly see amazing stuff, but likely not what you expected. A must do but keep your expectations in line!
Canon 5D MII - Aquatica Housing - Sola 4000 Lights - Wahoo HD Monitor & Sony EX1 - Gates EX1 Housing - Fathoms UWA Lens
www.bluespheremedia.com