• Please log in to reply
179 replies to this topic

#101 pats0n

pats0n

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 01:09 PM

Couple of bait ball action shots - these ones are not best quality but I think they demonstrate what bait ball diving is all about pretty well:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by pats0n, 12 July 2008 - 07:34 AM.

#102 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3049 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 11 July 2008 - 01:13 PM

Great images Alex! I'd love to see what you think best quality looks like. :)

Steve

The Fin Foundation
HSWImages.com        My Images on Flikr

Canon 5D Mk III, 7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#103 shawnh

shawnh

Shawk Man

• Senior Moderator
  • 1398 posts
  • Interests:UW Video, UW Photography Diving, Telemark Skiing, Cycling, Travel

Posted 11 July 2008 - 03:00 PM

Wow!...enough said.
Canon 5D MII - Aquatica Housing - Sola 4000 Lights - Wahoo HD Monitor & Sony EX1 - Gates EX1 Housing - Fathoms UWA Lens
www.bluespheremedia.com

#104 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 02:56 PM

Alex,
There is an almost 'painted' quality to these images, unlike anything I have ever seen underwater. Really exceptional.
Are these straight out of camera as shot, what, if any, post-processing have you done? Can you give us EXIF data?

Edited by loftus, 12 July 2008 - 02:58 PM.

Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#105 pats0n

pats0n

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 03:10 PM

Alex,
There is an almost 'painted' quality to these images, unlike anything I have ever seen underwater. Really exceptional.
Are these straight out of camera as shot, what, if any, post-processing have you done? Can you give us EXIF data?

first four I posted are straight out of camera shots with some very minimum contrast/saturation correction (none of first four are cropped) - conversion is done in Adobe Lightroom and sharpening for web is done in Photoshop;

second two are more difficult shots due to bigger lighting difference of the scenes, so I used Capture NX for conversion which does better job in pulling shadows and filtering noise then Lightroom for NEF's, especially in D300 14 bit mode. First image of two is cropped and second has some retouching (some dolphin tails are removed from left bottom corner). That's pretty much it.

Each image has EXIF preserved.

#106 pats0n

pats0n

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 03:19 PM

Great images Alex! I'd love to see what you think best quality looks like. :)

Steve

Thanks ! Well, I guess I will have to keep few images for upcoming competitions, to preserve "wow" factor intact :ninja:

#107 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 04:35 PM

first four I posted are straight out of camera shots with some very minimum contrast/saturation correction (none of first four are cropped) - conversion is done in Adobe Lightroom and sharpening for web is done in Photoshop;

second two are more difficult shots due to bigger lighting difference of the scenes, so I used Capture NX for conversion which does better job in pulling shadows and filtering noise then Lightroom for NEF's, especially in D300 14 bit mode. First image of two is cropped and second has some retouching (some dolphin tails are removed from left bottom corner). That's pretty much it.

Each image has EXIF preserved.

Thanks, I love that light. Especially the last one you posted.
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#108 davichin

davichin

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1106 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 11:53 PM

Thanks ! Well, I guess I will have to keep few images for upcoming competitions, to preserve "wow" factor intact :P

Enough WOW for me! :) :ninja: :P Posted Image

I have this and next year´s holidays compromised but I have to go there! Posted Image

Luisa says to get to married and get 15 more days off by law! :lol:
D300, D7000. 10.5, 10-17, 16, 10-20, 17-70, 60, 105, 150 Hugyfots, Subtronic Novas, Seacams 350, YS250s, YS-D1s
Aqualung Team
www.davidbarrio.com

#109 pats0n

pats0n

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 08:08 AM

Enough WOW for me! :) :ninja: :P Posted Image
I have this and next year´s holidays compromised but I have to go there! Posted Image

Luisa says to get to married and get 15 more days off by law! :lol:

That might be totally worth it ! :P ;)

#110 NickJ

NickJ

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Interests:NATURAL HISTORY
    PHOTOGRAPHY & VIDEO
    SCUBA DIVING
    MOUNTAIN HIKING
    MUSIC
    COMPUTING

Posted 13 July 2008 - 10:31 PM

Hi from Sydney Drew - well done on a spectaclar run, that's what comes with going so regularly, some days it just has to come together when you are onsite that often. Spectaculat photos! The sail fish, speechless ..... (and you know that is hard for me :) )

Sony RX100+Nauticam+Sea&Sea YS-D1; Sony FX1+Light and Motion BlueFin+SunRay Pro, Sony A1, Nikon D80

#111 Cal

Cal

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 11:30 PM

Hey guys!

Private question but what does a trip out there normally set you back?

I just cant drag my eyes away from some of these photos................

Does any one have a link to more?

Cal
http://www.calmero.com.au/ - Creative Underwater Photography

#112 philsokol

philsokol

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 08:07 AM

Hi Cal,

I'm signed up for the Island Dreams trip next year. Cost is $3895 for 10 days, not incl air fare or the add-on safari that you're going to want to do somewhere :D Check out www.divetrip.com.

Phil

Phil Sokol
Canon 5D3 and 7D, Nauticam and Subal, an assortment of strobes and too many damn lenses!
"Hey Dean! How do you work this crazy thing?!" Jerry Lewis

#113 davichin

davichin

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1106 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 10:32 AM

Hey guys!

Private question but what does a trip out there normally set you back?

I just cant drag my eyes away from some of these photos................

Does any one have a link to more?

Cal

Hello Cal

I think that is not JUST the money but the risk of not getting a good week etc... I would think one needs ten to fifteen days and, in my dayjob case, booking months in advance which adds more risk to the holiday :D

But I have to go anyway! (I am starting by telling Luisa that water temp is about 26 degrees :P :D )
D300, D7000. 10.5, 10-17, 16, 10-20, 17-70, 60, 105, 150 Hugyfots, Subtronic Novas, Seacams 350, YS250s, YS-D1s
Aqualung Team
www.davidbarrio.com

#114 pats0n

pats0n

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 10:36 AM

Hello Cal

I think that is not JUST the money but the risk of not getting a good week etc... I would think one needs ten to fifteen days and, in my dayjob case, booking months in advance which adds more risk to the holiday :D

But I have to go anyway! (I am starting by telling Luisa that water temp is about 26 degrees :P :D )

I fully agree with you, in 14 days we had 11 days on water, and only 4 days of actual diving - and I consider this as successful trip. For me it would be successful with just one bait ball dive, anyway, thing is totally worth all waiting. And if you are open minded enough there is always plenty of things to enjoy - dolphin/whale watching/swimming, birds, beautiful scenery. Setting your expectations for this trip as low as possible is best approach for planning.

Edited by pats0n, 14 July 2008 - 12:08 PM.

#115 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10642 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 12:03 PM

I think that is not JUST the money but the risk of not getting a good week etc

:D:lol: Oh how much is half full? If you only knew how many people spent how many days to get 1 day? :P

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#116 stewsmith

stewsmith

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1586 posts
  • Interests:World travel
    diving
    photography
    winding Drew up

Posted 14 July 2008 - 01:27 PM

excellent up to date info, great photos. excellent photos , amazing photos and an absolutely excellent topic. Thanks so much for all the info, you guys who have braved the elements to bring back some amazing shots and a life time of memories to keep for yourselves.

Where do I pay the deposit ?

Canon 5D MK2 - Sea and Sea housed - 17-40L 100mm - Sigma 15mm FE - twin YS250 pro's and gadgets galore

http://www.euphoticzoneimaging.com

#117 davichin

davichin

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1106 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 02:21 PM

:P:lol: Oh how much is half full? If you only knew how many people spent how many days to get 1 day? :D

:D

Could you ellaborate (is that well writen? :D ) on what are aproximately the good months and how much can that vary? I mean, if you had to choose/book a period of 2-3 weeks with four months in advance when would you book? and: how many dry/bad days would be an approx average? Are there many ops down there?

All this is to start making up my mind! :D

Thank you very much! :)
Aqualung Team
www.davidbarrio.com

#118 Cal

Cal

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 04:29 PM

wow...........

Thats a fair bit out of my price range being a uni student and all.

I guess i'll just have to look on and admire

Cal
http://www.calmero.com.au/ - Creative Underwater Photography

#119 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10642 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 06:34 PM

:D

Could you ellaborate (is that well writen? :P ) on what are aproximately the good months and how much can that vary? I mean, if you had to choose/book a period of 2-3 weeks with four months in advance when would you book? and: how many dry/bad days would be an approx average? Are there many ops down there?

All this is to start making up my mind! :D

Thank you very much! :D

I have a better chance picking the lottery than giving that sort of info. It's nature man. Read the reports from the last 3 years.
As for ops, as of now, I believe there are at least 4 commercial operators.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#120 davichin

davichin

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1106 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 11:22 PM

I have a better chance picking the lottery than giving that sort of info. It's nature man. Read the reports from the last 3 years.
As for ops, as of now, I believe there are at least 4 commercial operators.

Somehow I knew I would be answered something like that! :P

I will check last years´ reports :D
Aqualung Team
www.davidbarrio.com