• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 09:58 PM

Today, in Lembeh, I took my 99,000 photo with my Nikon D2X. Almost all of these have been underwater - and I will no doubt go through the 100,000 mark in the Red Sea at the weekend.

I guess this is just a post to say - good work Nikon and Subal for their reliability. :D

I bought the pair of them in February 2005 - during my first year of working as an UW photographer - and their trouble-free (and expense-free) exemplary performance are largely responsible for me making underwater photography a profitable job.

I have had one problem with the D2X - a weird AF issue in South Australia (Dec 2007) where AF would not work with macro lenses. Which was fixed on my return (I continued shooting the D2X on that trip for wide angle). And I have had no problems at all with the Subal - save for me fitting dodgy ports and snapping a push button when I dropped the back! One camera, one housing and 100,000 UW photos. And some have even come out.

I actually came to Lembeh with just the D2X and Subal. I didn't have a spare camera available - so I just relied on its reliability once again. I didn't even bring a spare battery!

Whatever comes next will have quite something to live up to.

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#2 Strmko

Strmko

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 10:46 PM

That are imressive numbers. I can only wish I meet your time spent UW.
I remember that terrible moment flooding my D70 through the badly designed ikelite 8" dome port (their fault) after 2 days of 13 day cruise and sweared I will only go with quality and durability stuff next time. Good to hear Subal is something you can rely on! It makes things much easier at the end of the day.

Martin

#3 paquito

paquito

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 04:36 AM

Today, in Lembeh, I took my 99,000 photo with my Nikon D2X. Almost all of these have been underwater - and I will no doubt go through the 100,000 mark in the Red Sea at the weekend.
Alex

Congratulations! And remember Alex, you don't have to go on shooting everything in continuous mode and 5 fps, you can actually shoot the camera in single shot mode now. :D

We had no doubt you could reach 100K. :) Now, did your sync cords and strobes hold out for 100K?

Have a great time in the Red Sea, and reach 100,001 and beyond (all good kharma!)

#4 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 04:52 AM

Despite all the complaints about continuous upgrades some folks have; think about what that would have cost you with film. Sure you would shoot less with film, but chances are you would not have as many great shots as you do, and of course we would not have nearly as much info about underwater photography that you have taught us.
When you think about it that way, what a great value digital is.
(I notice you left Subtronic out of the credits. :D )
Good job Alex.

Edited by loftus, 10 June 2008 - 04:53 AM.

Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#5 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 05:15 AM

(I notice you left Subtronic out of the credits. :D )

Left them out of the suitcase too. Just done two of three consecutive trips with Inons.

Alex

Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#6 blimbo

blimbo

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 05:26 AM

Alex,

How many shots do you think you take on average per dive?

Cheers,
Tim
Nikon D90, Hugyfot housing, Tokina 10-17mm, Sigma 17-70mm, Nikkor AF-S 105mm, Inon Z-240

#7 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 06:10 AM

80-100. I guess.

Alex

#8 eyu

eyu

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 08:31 AM

I guess this is just a post to say - good work Nikon and Subal for their reliability. :D

Alex

WOW!!!! I was beginning to think that I should buy and carry a backup body since it seems common practice among the wetpixel group. Congrats and hope my D2Xs and Subal keep pace with yours.

Elmer

Nikon D800E, D800, Subal ND800, Inon Z240, ULCS with StiX floats

#9 DrFiscus

DrFiscus

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Interests:Diving, underwater photography, snow skiing, golf

Posted 10 June 2008 - 09:44 AM

WOW!!!! I was beginning to think that I should buy and carry a backup body since it seems common practice among the wetpixel group. Congrats and hope my D2Xs and Subal keep pace with yours.

Elmer

Alex:
Congrats - and just think of all that Photoshop processing time you spent on almost 100K images.
Elmer - you know it is only a matter of time before you switch to the D3 or D3x so there is no way you can hit that mark with the D2X.
Andy
Andy Malbin
DrFiscus@msn.com
www.oceandoctorshots.com

Nikon D200, D300, Aquatica housing, twin Ikelite DS 161's, Nikon 10.5, 60, VR105, Tokina 10 - 17, Sigma 17 - 70 HSM, Tokina 11 - 16

#10 PRC

PRC

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1163 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 10:15 AM

Having spent a bit of time with Alex he does trashcan a number of shots before thePhotoshop stage.

It was an illuminating experience sitting by him and watching him hit the delete button and me thinking "I would hang that one on my wall"

Paul C :D
Nikon D300, Subal, 2 * Inon 240
Water Temp (just cold & Nasty)
My Pictures

#11 ralphy

ralphy

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • Interests:riding my motorbike(s)

Posted 10 June 2008 - 11:36 AM

Having spent a bit of time with Alex he does trashcan a number of shots before thePhotoshop stage.

It was an illuminating experience sitting by him and watching him hit the delete button and me thinking "I would hang that one on my wall"

Paul C :D

Ditto that!

R

#12 wobby

wobby

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 07:04 PM

Congratulations Alex,

That sounds like one sore trigger finger with all those images.

Regards

Nigel
Digital fisher

#13 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 10 June 2008 - 08:02 PM

Alex, you sad B. You need to get out more!

XXX

JB

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#14 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 04:44 AM

Alex, you sad B. You need to get out more!

I'm in Singapore this evening and did pop out for a couple of beers. But judging from the Reef Police thread, the place for a night out is Bali with Mike and Simon.

Alex

#15 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 11 June 2008 - 05:17 AM

I wonder how many rolls of film and the cost that would come to.
Too easy now days to just fire away with a 4 GIG card :D
Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au