#1 shawnh

shawnh

Shawk Man

• Senior Moderator
  • 1398 posts
  • Interests:UW Video, UW Photography Diving, Telemark Skiing, Cycling, Travel

Posted 12 June 2008 - 09:14 AM

Hey Folks,

You'll notice on the front page the article on Misool Eco Resort privately funding a ranger boat. I have been down there several times and seen what they are fighting. We are talking about the heart of the Coral Triangle, the most bio-diverse marine ecosystem on earth, and the hottest new dive destination. What most folks don't know is how rapidly Raja Ampat is being destroyed by destructive fishing and endangered species trade. I have witnessed and filmed this on several occasions. Shark being finned, turtles being butchered, nets dragged across once pristine staghorn coral beds. It is happening every day all over Raja Ampat. Many times it is outsiders coming in b/c they have so depleted their own waters they must travel great distances to find something to catch.
IMG_2239.jpg

IMG_2255.jpg

Misool Eco Resort is located on the frontlines on the southern border of Raja. Not only are they protecting their own no take zone (which is open to all and includes some of the best sites in all of Raja such as Fiabecet), they are turning away fleets of longliners that would pillage other areas. They now have the cooperation of the Navy and police.

What they don't have is a ranger boat. They are using the limited resort boats and workers to patrol as much as possible. They want to do much more. As such, they are now seeking to fund a low cost ranger boat/team to patrol 24/7. This will be good for anyone diving Raja on any liveaboard or at the resort.

They are really the only ones patrolling in Raja. They need support. Can we give it?
http://www.misooleco...t.com/news.html

-Shawn
Canon 5D MII - Aquatica Housing - Sola 4000 Lights - Wahoo HD Monitor & Sony EX1 - Gates EX1 Housing - Fathoms UWA Lens
www.bluespheremedia.com

#2 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4570 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 04:28 PM

I can do that; it's on my short list of places to go.
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#3 Misool Eco Resort - Cherry

Misool Eco Resort - Cherry

Starfish

• Industry
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 02:54 PM

Hi there Shawn.... Thanks for the post. The visitors to the Misool Eco Resort website have so far donated over $2000 . We have ordered the patrol boat and hope that it will be in action in the coming months. The MER team have been busy recently as this season is when the Shark fishermen target the waters of Raja Ampat, but we believe there have been none within the no take zone this season!

It is not too late to donate and aid the cause, not to mention winning a holiday at the resort the draw will be on the first of August.

I would like to thank all those that have donated, and good luck.

Cherry

SharkFinsBlueDeckWeb.jpg
LongLiningBoatWeb.jpg
LongLineFlagsWeb.jpg

#4 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10595 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 03:03 PM

Cherry
Just stand there and growl... all those puki's will run in fear. :blink:
Tired of island life yet?

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#5 Misool Eco Resort - Cherry

Starfish

• Industry
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 01:52 PM

Cherry
Just stand there and growl... all those puki's will run in fear. :huh:
Tired of island life yet?

Hey dude... have given up on the growling and taken to roaring!!!! Tired of island life - come on have you seen where I am living??????

#6 Misool Eco Resort - Cherry

Starfish

• Industry
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 02:40 PM

Thank you very very much to all of you who contributed to our Misool Ranger Project. We raised over 3000 Euros (and nearly half of that in the last 3 days of the raffle!), which is enough to get our own Ranger Patrol boat built. Congratulations to Patrik Nilsson of Solna, Sweden! He is the lucky winner of a free holiday at Misool Eco Resort.

We have rasied another 4000 Euros through donations so we are well on our way to paying for the engines, fuel and running costs. The fibre glassing of our Misool Conservation Centre flagship started last week, and we are hoping that she will be launched next month, and that this signifies a safer future for the reefs of SE Misool.

IMG_2444.JPG

Thank you again!

#7 shawnh

shawnh

Shawk Man

• Senior Moderator
  • 1398 posts
  • Interests:UW Video, UW Photography Diving, Telemark Skiing, Cycling, Travel

Posted 06 August 2008 - 11:56 PM

I can't wait to hop in and do share patrol duty...really!
Canon 5D MII - Aquatica Housing - Sola 4000 Lights - Wahoo HD Monitor & Sony EX1 - Gates EX1 Housing - Fathoms UWA Lens
www.bluespheremedia.com