Caught in the Act...again

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 bmyates

bmyates

Great White

• Team Wetpixel
  • 973 posts
  • Interests:UW Photography, motorcycles.

Posted 16 June 2008 - 08:01 AM

I finally finished processing photos from my recent Indonesia trip and put up a gallery on my website.

One of the pleasant surprises of the trip was one of my mandarinfish photos. Of all the fish in the sea, mandarins are probably the one most often photographed "in the act" :P but this photo clearly shows the female releasing her eggs (a split second before the pair dashed back into the rubble). I'm sure others have caught this in photos as well, but I have never seen it, so I was delighted to have captured it. I'd love to say I timed my shutter release at that precise moment on purpose, but I'm afraid it was just dumb luck! :P

Posted Image

Bruce Yates
www.UnderwaterReflections.com
Canon 5DMkII in Aquatica, 1DsMkII in Seacam, G15 in RecSea...Inon Z240's...too many lenses
"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damned fool about it." WC Fields

#2 imasleeper

imasleeper

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 08:26 AM

Very nice capture...Congrats!

imasleeper

#3 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2854 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 08:29 AM

I'd love to say I timed my shutter release at that precise moment on purpose, but I'm afraid it was just dumb luck! :P

Nice job regardless and remember we all contribute to making our own luck. You can just have easily been out of focus, f/stop off, strobes wrong and the rest. So I think you did more than just have dumb luck :P

Now about your Peeping Tom tendencies.... :P

#4 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 08:32 AM

Very nice Bruce!

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#5 yahsemtough

yahsemtough

Great Canadian Mokarran

• Senior Moderator
  • 3495 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 08:33 AM

Very nice. I think a lot of us get lucky and happen to be in the right place at the right time. The key is, you were there and captured the image. Well done.

Cheers

Todd
Todd Mintz
tmintz.com
all photographs posted Todd C Mintz

#6 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 10:26 AM

It's a beautiful image, with or without the eggs; the eggs take it up a notch.
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#7 Stephen Colquitt

Stephen Colquitt

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 12:13 AM

Great work!

#8 edpdiver

edpdiver

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 06:45 PM

Wow! What a great shot.
Erwin Poliakoff, Baton Rouge, Louisiana USA
Nikon D7000, Tokina 10-17 zoom, Nikkor 60mm, 85mm, 105mm macros
Nauticam NA-D7000V housing, Two Inon Z240 strobes

http://www.flickr.co...poliakoff/sets/

#9 ilanbt

ilanbt

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 11:45 PM

very nice capture!
Nikon D300 - Sea&Sea Housing
2 Ikelite DS125 Strobes
Sigma 50mm 2.8 Macro
Nikon 105mm VR
Tokina 10-17 Fisheye
Sigma 17-70 2.8-4
Site - My Gallery

#10 Tazzie

Tazzie

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 04:57 AM

Absolutely stunning photo!

Would I be cheeky to ask you how you had your rig set up? After an unsuccessful Mandarin fish dive myself (focus light packed up after I'd spent I don't know how long making a red filter for it!! ;) ) I'd love to know how you got your shot...

What spotting / focus light were you using? Did you go for a red filter etc :)

#11 mrbubbles

mrbubbles

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • Interests:medical doctor and wanabe photographer

Posted 23 June 2008 - 05:17 AM

great one. My favorite saying in uw photography is luck is a good thing

#12 bmyates

bmyates

Great White

• Team Wetpixel
  • 973 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 07:52 AM

Absolutely stunning photo!

Would I be cheeky to ask you how you had your rig set up? After an unsuccessful Mandarin fish dive myself (focus light packed up after I'd spent I don't know how long making a red filter for it!! ;) ) I'd love to know how you got your shot...

What spotting / focus light were you using? Did you go for a red filter etc :)

Having done MANY mandarinfish dives before myself, including strapping red celophane over my light, etc., I have discovered that it is VERY difficult to handle both lighting and focusing/shooting by yourself. Trying to spot an emerging pair of fish through your viewfinder is just plain tough!

I did two mandarin dives on this trip, the first "by myself" using a FIX LED light on low, during which I got NO decent shots, and the second dive using a much more "manual" technique, i.e., with the dive guide holding a weak flashlight behind his hand so that only a faint amount of light came through. The dive guide would watch for a "pairing" and when he thought one was beginning, he would grunt loudly and my dive buddy (Don Silcock) and I, who were shoulder to shoulder next to him, would try to find the pair in our viewfinders and focus on them as they rose from the rubble. Once they cleared the rubble, the guide was able to shine the full light (albeit still a pretty weak beam) on the couple and we had a second or two to try to focus and get a shot. On that dive, I got three "keeper" shots, one of which is the one above that started this thread. (You can see the other two keeper shots in the gallery at www.seattleyates.com .)

When you consider the "productivity" of my first mandarin dive on this trip vs. the second (ZERO vs. 3 keepable shots), the argument for having a dive guide handle the lighting is (at least IMO) pretty compelling. It was still lucky that I got the shot with eggs, but I'm not sure I would have gotten ANY good shots if I had been trying to do it all on my own.

Hope that helps!

Bruce Yates
Canon 5DMkII in Aquatica, 1DsMkII in Seacam, G15 in RecSea...Inon Z240's...too many lenses
"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damned fool about it." WC Fields

#13 Tazzie

Tazzie

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 11:25 PM

Having done MANY mandarinfish dives before myself, including strapping red celophane over my light, etc., I have discovered that it is VERY difficult to handle both lighting and focusing/shooting by yourself. Trying to spot an emerging pair of fish through your viewfinder is just plain tough!

I did two mandarin dives on this trip, the first "by myself" using a FIX LED light on low, during which I got NO decent shots, and the second dive using a much more "manual" technique, i.e., with the dive guide holding a weak flashlight behind his hand so that only a faint amount of light came through. The dive guide would watch for a "pairing" and when he thought one was beginning, he would grunt loudly and my dive buddy (Don Silcock) and I, who were shoulder to shoulder next to him, would try to find the pair in our viewfinders and focus on them as they rose from the rubble. Once they cleared the rubble, the guide was able to shine the full light (albeit still a pretty weak beam) on the couple and we had a second or two to try to focus and get a shot. On that dive, I got three "keeper" shots, one of which is the one above that started this thread. (You can see the other two keeper shots in the gallery at www.seattleyates.com .)

When you consider the "productivity" of my first mandarin dive on this trip vs. the second (ZERO vs. 3 keepable shots), the argument for having a dive guide handle the lighting is (at least IMO) pretty compelling. It was still lucky that I got the shot with eggs, but I'm not sure I would have gotten ANY good shots if I had been trying to do it all on my own.

Hope that helps!

Absolutely helps - thank you very much!

I've only done 2 mandarin fish dives so it's not surprising I've not got the results, was just really frustrated when I'd prepped my gear for the second dive and still wasn't able to get focus when they came out to play (although at least I managed to get an ok shot of one in the coral which was a better result than my fist dive!)

I think it's really easy to underestimate the lengths people go through to get their awesome shots even though deep down I think I really know!

Thanks again, much appreciated ;)

#14 sailordiver

sailordiver

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 01:57 PM

At what dive site did you shoot the beautiful couple ???

#15 bmyates

bmyates

Great White

• Team Wetpixel
  • 973 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 02:32 PM

At what dive site did you shoot the beautiful couple ???

I was staying at Divers Lodge Lembeh, and it was taken on their house reef. It's a great place to stay BTW, and a great dive operation.

Bruce Yates

#16 deepsea

deepsea

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Interests:Photography, environment, education, as much diving and in water time as possible. Swimming with Humpback Whales and much more.

Posted 28 April 2009 - 05:08 PM

Stunning, well done
Nikon D200, Sea and Sea Housing, YS250 and YS90 strobes

Personal website http://beyondtheeye.ifp3.com

#17 Hani Amir

Hani Amir

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Cinematography, Music, Bass Guitar and most of all stuff to do with the Ocean.

Posted 28 April 2009 - 11:38 PM

Awesome photo dude :D

#18 Scubamoose

Scubamoose

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1118 posts
  • Interests:Diving, photography, travel.

Posted 29 April 2009 - 01:09 AM

Congrats! Really great capture!
My Flickr
www.karelbernard.com

Karel Bernard
Canon G9 in Ikelite Housing; SubStrobe DS-160
WA lens Ikelite W-20; Inon UCL-165 M67 Close-up Lenses

#19 The Octopus

The Octopus

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 05:18 AM

nice shot, i also was "lucky" and got a shot with egg release.
Yours is the only other one that I have seen

Attached Images

• 200810235446.jpg

D300, Aquatica Housing, Dual Inon z240 strobes, Lenses: tokina 10-17, tokina 11-16, Nikon 12-24, nikon 17-55, nikon 60, nikon 105, nikon 70-200

#20 bmyates

bmyates

Great White

• Team Wetpixel
  • 973 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 06:11 AM

nice shot, i also was "lucky" and got a shot with egg release.
Yours is the only other one that I have seen

Ditto - yours is the only other one I've seen, although I suppose we're bound to see more in the future...

I'm a little confused, however, about which is the male and which the female. I was told on my previous trips to Lembeh by dive guides that the big one was always the female. In my photo, however, it "appears" clear that the eggs are coming from the small one, so I decided I had been getting false information. Now, in your photo, it looks like the eggs are coming from the big one(!).

Can anyone clear this up conclusively? Are males the smaller or larger fish in these pairs? :blink:

Bruce Yates