9 replies to this topic

#1 rcapoccia

rcapoccia

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 04:06 PM

Hi all!

I shoot underwater with a Nikon D200 in an S&S housing. I am thinking about purchasing a Tokina 10-17mm lens (at least in part based upon all of the great reviews it gets in these forums). On the S&S system chart the only port it shows as compatible with the Tokina lens is the optical dome port. I hesitate to buy a large glass port because I have on occasion put a scratch or two in my acrylic dome port (and thanks to the great advice from people in these forums have been able to remove those scratches). Does anybody know if any of the other S&S ports are compatible with this lens? I use the S&S compact dome port for my 12-24mm and would be delighted if that port works. But I think hell would freeze over immediately if the purchase of one item of underwater photographic equipment didn't lead to the expenditure of a small fortune for needed accessories.

Rachel

#2 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3026 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 18 June 2008 - 08:48 PM

Hi Rachel, I use the 10-17mm on my Sea & Sea Canon 40D rig and the S&S guys recommended the short SX extension ring with the big NX fisheye dome. It works great. :P

Steve

The Fin Foundation
My Images on Flikr

Canon7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#3 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 18 June 2008 - 09:16 PM

Hi Rachel, I use the 10-17mm on my Sea & Sea Canon 40D rig and the S&S guys recommended the short SX extension ring with the big NX fisheye dome. It works great. :P

Steve

As he said, you need the small extension ring and either the big NX fisheye dome or the optical port. I have both but I find the optical glass port is perfect and less bulky to handle both for transport and in the water. Here's an example of the quality you can get._DSC8312bigfile.jpg

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#4 pakman

pakman

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1099 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 09:41 PM

I second John on the optical glass dome. More expensive, but easier to pack and travel with.

If you already have the compact dome port, maybe pick up a SX extension and give it a try.

Canon 40D, S&S MDX-40D housing, Inon Z-240's
Sony HC7 & Gates Housing

#5 IMSushi

IMSushi

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 07:34 AM

So, I have the Optical Glass Dome for my 10-17. I gotta say I love it for its compactness. It works beautifully, but I have one worry. I spent quite a bit of money on it for use with just one lens. Can it be used with other lenses such as the Sigma 10-70? Or is it an expensive one trick pony?
Pat Crane
Nikon D80, S&S DX-D80, YS-110 x 2, TTL III, ULCS, 60mm, Tok 10-17, Sig 17-70
Back-up: Sony DSC-P10, Inon D2000

#6 pakman

pakman

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1099 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 09:42 AM

So, I have the Optical Glass Dome for my 10-17. I gotta say I love it for its compactness. It works beautifully, but I have one worry. I spent quite a bit of money on it for use with just one lens. Can it be used with other lenses such as the Sigma 10-70? Or is it an expensive one trick pony?

On a Canon, I can use the optical dome with a Sigma 18-50 and Canon 10-22 when using the 40mm extension.

Canon 40D, S&S MDX-40D housing, Inon Z-240's
Sony HC7 & Gates Housing

#7 markprior

markprior

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 11:44 AM

I have a d200 and use the Compact dome with the 10-17mm with an SX extension. Works fine for me.

I have enough trouble with packing and travelling with a small dome, let alone a big one !
Sea & Sea D200 Housing - 60mm,105mm, 10.5mm, 12-24mm (All Nikon) Sigma 17-70mm and Tokina 10-17mm lenses and a bunch of Ports.
Lighting: 2 x Ikelite DS-125, 2 x Manual controller

My Pictures

#8 rcapoccia

rcapoccia

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 12:25 PM

Steve, John, Pakman, Pat, and Mark:

Thank you so much, you have all been really helpful. And John, that picture you appended is beautiful -- I hope I somehow learn to be competent enough to get shots that great with the new lens.

Rachel . . .

#9 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 20 June 2008 - 12:21 AM

Steve, John, Pakman, Pat, and Mark:

Thank you so much, you have all been really helpful. And John, that picture you appended is beautiful -- I hope I somehow learn to be competent enough to get shots that great with the new lens.

Rachel . . .

It's good for bigger subjects too. I found the compact dome (Sea&Sea, Subal, Aquatica, Seacam, Nexus) does not give good sharpness from edge to edge,

Attached Images

• OWT1.jpg

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#10 craig nelson

craig nelson

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 05:34 AM

HI All

Im a user of the compact dome port with sx extension ring alongside the 10-17mm

it works just fine but i would agree with john that it not as good as it could be edge to edge. but for me at this time, i'm quite happy with it.

when it gets a look in that is, i love my tokina 12-24mm (with the 40mm entension), i have had work published from the 10-17mm behind the compact dome.

regards

craig
Nikon D200 - Sea & Sea DX-200 - Inon Z-240's
10-17mm 12-24mm 60mm 105mm