Photo
- - - - -

Opinions Needed. To keep or sell my old strobes in favor of new ones.

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 underwatercolours

underwatercolours

Manta Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • Interests:skinny dipping, sailing, snow skiing, water skiing, art galleries, classic cars, flying

Posted 26 June 2008 - 03:30 PM

Alex's explanation helps to make sense of it. I may try shooting the same subject and alternate strobes when I'm down in Cozumel in August.

#22 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2856 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 03:37 PM

Alex's explanation helps to make sense of it. I may try shooting the same subject and alternate strobes when I'm down in Cozumel in August.

His pictures were eye opening on the subject and I am starting to look at filters also. I need to get on that a bit more.

#23 pakman

pakman

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1099 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 05:35 PM

I have been sitting on this gag for a while, waiting for the right moment to use it. I am amused ever time I look at the back of my Inons.

Alex

lol! thanks for the laugh this morning Alex... same here, I'm always thinking of that classic Spinal Tap quote whenever I'm tinkering with the Inon's... :D

Canon 40D, S&S MDX-40D housing, Inon Z-240's
Sony HC7 & Gates Housing

#24 DYVERJ

DYVERJ

Starfish

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 07:24 PM

I am amused ever time I look at the back of my Inons.

Alex

Alex,
Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought you primarily stuck with Subtronic. Do you still use your Inons too?

#25 davephdv

davephdv

Doc Eyeballs

• Senior Moderator
  • 2290 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 07:38 PM

DS 160 is not vaporware. Memo I cut and pasted on another post is direct from Ikelite.

Also same information is on Reef photo and video's website.

They say they will post this on their (Ikelite) website by the end of the month.

You will have it in your hands before the D700 shows up.
Dave Burroughs, Nikon D300, D2X, Subal housing, DS160 strobes

Life is a beach and then you dive.

My Website

#26 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 11:55 PM

Alex,
Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought you primarily stuck with Subtronic. Do you still use your Inons too?

My Subtronics break a lot! Also I favour the Inons for green water diving. I also use the Inons to save luggage weight, although that is a bit unnecessary as my bags have been 5Kg under-weight on my last two trips. With the filters I can get the colour temp out of them I like, but the quality of the light does not match the Subtronics for a few types of image (a subset of wide angle).

To break down my diving this year.
Trip 1) Cayman, Florida, Socorro. Took both, but used Subtronics (and they did not go wrong).
Trip 2) Thailand. Subtronics
Then UK diving. Inons
Trip 3) Canaries. Inons with filters.
Trip 4) Lembeh. Inons with very mild filters.
Trip 5) Red Sea. Inons, but would take Subs in future. On this trip I did most dives without strobes using Magic Filter.
Trip 6) Bahamas. Subtronics.

My strobe choice is determined by subject matter and conditions.

Alex

Just to repost the strobe comparison tests, to save people digging around for them. The tests were not perfect, it is quite a pain to do them underwater - but they give you a feel for the difference they make. It is small, but there in every shot.

Inon vs Subtronic. The difference is subtle, but in the background water colours:
Posted Image

Inon vs Filtered Inon
Posted Image

The original article is in the UWP Issue 42. I also put it online on my website recently. Linked from this page (its the second one down).

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#27 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 27 June 2008 - 12:52 AM

[quote name='Alex_Mustard' date='Jun 26 2008, 11:55 PM' post='174971'] I also use the Inons to save luggage weight, although that is a bit unnecessary as my bags have been 5Kg under-weight on my last two trips.

I desperately need some lessons from you regarding this. At the moment I am looking at a bag that weighs 28kg and all my camera kit is in my carry-on (honest, it weighs nothing!). I'm going to Marsa Alam on a Thompson flight and they are now merciless with a 25kg limit. I have 1 T-shirt and 1 pair of shorts. Am I taking too much toothpaste?

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#28 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 01:16 AM

My strategy is a save a little on everything. The difference between being charged and not being charged is usually just a few KGs. These small savings mean I am on the right side of this line.

One big difference is that I get to choose my dive kit, John. Where as you have to take what needs to be tested for the magazine. I would say I save about 5kg compared with the average diver. I select all my dive kit with a Spring Scale. I still have not gone over to the Scubapro Twin Jet Max from my Twin Jets because they weigh 200g more! Lightweight BC (T-Sport) and regulator (Titanium Mk25 + 600). Foot fins rather than boots whenever possible.

Bags are another area to save. One of the best savings I have made is going over to a Beaver "Mariner Rucksack" for my dive kit. Superlight and very strong. I know that Diver had a special offer on these a few years back (free with subscription). I got mine from DYK magazine. I also use a Samsonite hard suitcase rather than pelican case. Much lighter, still strong and does not attract the attention of customs. These bags save me 6-8kg compared with a few years ago.

On the airline scales: my hold luggage to the Red Sea last week was 25.8kg (limit 30kg), and to Lembeh was 25kg (also 30kg limit). 3 years ago I was travelling with 35-40kg hold luggage. I still take the same stuff, it is just savings across the board have dipped me under the limits.

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#29 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 27 June 2008 - 01:40 AM

Thanks for the steer Alex but I have just realised it is because my body is too big!

I am taking Scubapro T-Sport, Mares Raptor fins and 5mm suit for example but of course they fit a freak! (Sorry, those of you in America - I'm really quite small at only 6'3" with size 12 feet.)

I am going to have my legs cut shorter. That will help. ...and with the seat pitch too!

Edited by John Bantin, 27 June 2008 - 01:41 AM.

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#30 craig nelson

craig nelson

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 01:38 PM

Thanks for the steer Alex but I have just realised it is because my body is too big!

I am taking Scubapro T-Sport, Mares Raptor fins and 5mm suit for example but of course they fit a freak! (Sorry, those of you in America - I'm really quite small at only 6'3" with size 12 feet.)

I am going to have my legs cut shorter. That will help. ...and with the seat pitch too!

Ha ha John

Sharon says take lipo suction and a few cosmetic lifts (the knife) as well :D

I dunno how you do it Alex, i skinned my gear down to nothing, yet each time i go it gets increasingly heavier.

maybe its the corrosion on my ally backplate, or the Jet fins.. :wacko:

regards

craig
Nikon D200 - Sea & Sea DX-200 - Inon Z-240's
10-17mm 12-24mm 60mm 105mm