• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 underwatercolours

underwatercolours

Manta Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 444 posts
  • Interests:skinny dipping, sailing, snow skiing, water skiing, art galleries, classic cars, flying

Posted 30 May 2003 - 06:34 AM

Dermot Keane from Sam's Dive Tours in Palau just sent me these photos and story link and asked me to share them here.

The images are from a recent event conducted by the Palau Ministry of Justice. They burned a shipment of shark fins confiscated from a vessel illegally fishing in Palau's waters. The President of Republic of Palau and the Minister of Justice set the pyre of shark fins aflame.

Radio interview about skark finning

Sam Scott of Sam's Dive Tours & charter supporter of Palau Shark Sanctuary Fund, inspects the pile of shark fins prior to burning.

Posted Image

Left to Right: Repubic of Palau President, Tommy E. Remengesau Jr., Dermot Keane, Palau Shark Sanctuary Fund, Rep. of Palau, Minister of Justice, Michael Rosenthal, Marine Biologist Nicolas Pilcher (with book), Koror State, Rep. of Palau, Legal Counsel, Greg Fullem (with Camera), listening to Marine Biologist Nicolas Pilcher describing the species of sharks from which the fins came and explaining the impact on Palau's eco-system / shark population.

Posted Image

The burn

Posted Image

Photos by Kevin Davidson and Thomas Baechtold

#2 Don in Colorado

Don in Colorado

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 30 May 2003 - 08:06 AM

It's a start.

I just wish there was a picture of the boat burning.

#3 Cybergoldfish

Cybergoldfish

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts
  • Interests:Don't include plankton

Posted 01 June 2003 - 05:01 PM

Various areas of Hong Kong burning would be much more gratifying!