• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 owfotograaf

owfotograaf

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 11:00 PM

Right - the main thing is the measurement between the lens center-line and the viewfinder centerline. If that measurement is different, then it's difficult to adapt the housing.

CheerS
James

That is the greatest problem for al the housings D300! The center is for sure at a higher place than the D300. :)

#22 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8394 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 11:06 PM

Well I ordered one! Expected arrival July 25th. For me it's a cheaper, smaller D3 which I've been lusting after for topside, available light etc. Not sure yet it will be my underwater choice.

Cool Jeff, you have to bring it on our trip to Mexico.

Regarding housings. In addition to the viewfinder, the focus area select seems to be in a different position
http://www.robgalbra...700_preview.jpg

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#23 timrock

timrock

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 01:10 AM

OK, I like the crop sensor. In any of the reviews or pre-release propaganda is there any word about a new crop sensor Nikon? I'm not about to jump on this horse unless Nikon is definitely phasing out crop sensors?

Anybody?

Best,

Tim of the Deep
Tim Rock
Barrigada, Guam 96921 USA
New Rock Bookstore: http://www.blurb.com...r/store/timrock
See the Newest Images: http://www.photosour...aunch=pdn-31809
Tim's Blog: http://timrockblog.blogspot.com/
E-Mail:

#24 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8394 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 01:57 AM

Thom Hogan, a decent source for speculation, has said in the past that DX format could be expected to reach 16MP as a workable limit. But Canon has marketed "FF good, DX bad" for so long that now Nikon have FX chips, we might not see any more 12MP+ pro-bodied DX cameras from Nikon.
Alex

Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#25 timrock

timrock

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 02:40 AM

Thom Hogan, a decent source for speculation, has said in the past that DX format could be expected to reach 16MP as a workable limit. But Canon has marketed "FF good, DX bad" for so long that now Nikon have FX chips, we might not see any more 12MP+ pro-bodied DX cameras from Nikon.
Alex

Thanks Alex,

Ol' Thom does keep his pulse on the Nikon scene. I sure like having a 150-560 (or whatever it is) instead of 80-400. Sure adds heft to my zooms with the crop.

Guess we'll just see if there a D400 or if the D700 is th shape of things to come.

Best,

T
Tim Rock
Barrigada, Guam 96921 USA
New Rock Bookstore: http://www.blurb.com...r/store/timrock
See the Newest Images: http://www.photosour...aunch=pdn-31809
Tim's Blog: http://timrockblog.blogspot.com/
E-Mail:

#26 DavidScubadiver

DavidScubadiver

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 08:11 AM

Having just bought the D300, I'm assuming its not too far along the road to obsolescence, and I expect it will take as fabulous a picture as all of the reviews said it will, provided I learn how to use it.

I also think that if I tie a piece of fish to it, it will attract sharks for good pictures.
Nikon D300/Ikelite housing and Ds-125 Strobe
Tokina 10-17mm
Nikon AFS 60mm

My Blog

#27 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 09:36 AM

Thom Hogan said today that he doesn't think Nikon will make a D3x at all! At least not a Sony 24mpix D3x. Pretty interesting statement.

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#28 TomR1

TomR1

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 06:03 PM

I just housed a D-300 in a Seatool case. Actually, the d-200 was enough camera for me. I just purchased a D-300 because I didn't want to house a generation-old camera (the d-200) in a $4K case. So, for me, I am out of the upgrade loop for a few years.

However, as a macro shooter it isn't clear that a FF sensor would buy me anything.

Regards

#29 BottomTime

BottomTime

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 08:41 PM

Personally, I think DX is here to stay and the reason is all about the economics of chip fabrication. The bottom line is that the FX chip is more than twice the size of the DX sensor and I'm guessing that they cost 3 to 4 times more to produce. There are a hand full of us that are willing to buck up a couple grand for a camera, but it isn't people like that who drive the market. I'd think that the real bread and butter of the market is for cameras like the D40x and the Rebel XTi and I'm not convinced that these camera's will ever see full frame.

I think the chapter for DX sensors in pro level DSLR's is already over and I doubt that FX will ever make it's way into consumer cameras. I also believe that both DX and FX have a place in prosumer level camera. I believe that in the future we'll continue to see divergent evolution of the prosumer level cameras. Camera's at price points in the Canon 40D to Nikon D300 range will be DX while cameras in the Canon 5D to Nikon D700 range will be FX. Isn't there is enough room for both markets?

There has been some discussion on the forum about whether or not DX is obsolete and if it's risky to buy lenses designed for DX sized sensors. Personally, I don't see an end in it's future. 35mm evolved in the presence of medium format.... I don't see any reason why DX could, would or should go the way of the Dodo bird. Whether or a DX lens is a safe investment or not depends on which camp you see yourself in the future.

Cheers,

Mike

Mike

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible"

#30 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 03:38 AM

Personally, I think DX is here to stay and the reason is all about the economics of chip fabrication. The bottom line is that the FX chip is more than twice the size of the DX sensor and I'm guessing that they cost 3 to 4 times more to produce. There are a hand full of us that are willing to buck up a couple grand for a camera, but it isn't people like that who drive the market. I'd think that the real bread and butter of the market is for cameras like the D40x and the Rebel XTi and I'm not convinced that these camera's will ever see full frame.

I think the chapter for DX sensors in pro level DSLR's is already over and I doubt that FX will ever make it's way into consumer cameras. I also believe that both DX and FX have a place in prosumer level camera. I believe that in the future we'll continue to see divergent evolution of the prosumer level cameras. Camera's at price points in the Canon 40D to Nikon D300 range will be DX while cameras in the Canon 5D to Nikon D700 range will be FX. Isn't there is enough room for both markets?

There has been some discussion on the forum about whether or not DX is obsolete and if it's risky to buy lenses designed for DX sized sensors. Personally, I don't see an end in it's future. 35mm evolved in the presence of medium format.... I don't see any reason why DX could, would or should go the way of the Dodo bird. Whether or a DX lens is a safe investment or not depends on which camp you see yourself in the future.

Cheers,

Mike

I agree that DX may have life, but more because it is a format that is more than adequate for most users, with advantages of compact size, very respectable performance compared to FX etc. But I do not think it is because of price. The cost of manufacturing FX sensors is certain to drop just like all electronic devices. Think about the cost of the first Kodak DSLR cameras, about $25000 for a 1.3MP camera (Kodak DCS).
The high volume market considers factors like compact size, weight etc as important, if not more than having superior image quality.

Edited by loftus, 04 July 2008 - 03:47 AM.

Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#31 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8394 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 11:24 PM

Thom Hogan said today that he doesn't think Nikon will make a D3x at all! At least not a Sony 24mpix D3x. Pretty interesting statement.

Particularly if, like quite a few of my friends, you have bought a D3 and housing, hoping to be able to use one. :lol:

I know that Thom is banging on about the D900 or whatever coming next, but many others do expect a D3X. Also while I understand landscape snappers (and us) not caring about a vertical grip, I imagine that studio guys would want it for shooting portraits.

Anyway, I haven't got a clue anymore. Totally confused by all these rumours and counter-rumours. :lol:

Alex

#32 davichin

davichin

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1107 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 01:09 PM

One question is: ┬┐if we had to choose between a D300 or a D700 for uwp what would we prefer?

I have very clear that I would choose the D300 :lol:
D300, D7000. 10.5, 10-17, 16, 10-20, 17-70, 60, 105, 150 Hugyfots, Subtronic Novas, Seacams 350, YS250s, YS-D1s
Aqualung Team
www.davidbarrio.com

#33 Claude

Claude

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 09:33 PM

I have very clear that I would choose the D300

so do I B)
www.Aquatilia.com
Nikon D300 - Sea & Sea housing

#34 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8394 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 11:12 PM

-blank