• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 jeremypayne

jeremypayne

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1199 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 05:55 PM

Can't wait to see what my Nikon D700 can do on a shot like this ... oh yeah, wake up ... you're dreaming again ...

Seriously, how's this for a P&S sunburst?

I used my G9 and shot at f8 and 1/1000th at ISO 80. The strobes probably fired, but I think were already folded up over the housing as I was about to surface ... this was the last click on the last dive of a great week ...

Posted Image
Jeremy Payne
My Website

#2 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2856 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 06:02 PM

this was the last click on the last dive of a great week ...

Real nice (again) man. Looks like you are really getting the G9 happening and it goes to show you that of course some of the cooler bigger toys have some things to offer, but knowing and using even a P&S can ead to great results. Really like what you said..I aways stretch out the last safety stop of the trip as long as possible and take my time getting into the boat.

So print that picture, hang it up and smile about it and the trip and knowing exactly where when and how you shot it :)

#3 Nakedwithoutcamera

Nakedwithoutcamera

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 07:09 AM

I think it's absolutely lovely. You know, the grand prize winner of Scuba Diving magazines annual photo contest was shot with a G9? Its more the photographer than the camera. Except, of course, for over/under shots. ;-)
Ellen B.

#4 jeremypayne

jeremypayne

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1199 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 10:44 AM

I think it's absolutely lovely.

Thanks! I'm finally feeling like a photographer underwater as opposed to a diver with a camera.

You know, the grand prize winner of Scuba Diving magazines annual photo contest was shot with a G9?

I did not ... interesting ... is that in the latest issue?

Its more the photographer than the camera. Except, of course, for over/under shots. ;-)

Over/unders are basically impossible without a dome, huh? I have tried (to no avail) with the G9 and a wide angle adapter ... guess it will have to wait until I get the D300/700 ... :-)

One question for anyone out there listening ... I'm decent with the "global" aspects of Lightroom and Photoshop, but "localized" fixes are not my forte ...

Does anyone have any advice on how to "dodge" the diver's left side to get a more consistent silhoutte? As it is, his left side is way too "hot". What's the best tool for that with respect to preserving the right "edge" of the silhoutte and matching the rest of his body?

Thanks in advance!
Jeremy Payne
My Website

#5 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3058 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 01 July 2008 - 10:50 AM

Does anyone have any advice on how to "dodge" the diver's left side to get a more consistent silhoutte? As it is, his left side is way too "hot". What's the best tool for that with respect to preserving the right "edge" of the silhoutte and matching the rest of his body?

Thanks in advance!

Hi Jeremy,

Love the blue. You might try grabbing the recovery slider (LR) and pulling back the highlight a little on the RAW file. Just a touch of Black might be worth trying too. Have fun!

Steve

The Fin Foundation
HSWImages.com        My Images on Flikr

Canon 5D Mk III, 7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#6 Nakedwithoutcamera

Nakedwithoutcamera

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 11:10 AM

I did not ... interesting ... is that in the latest issue?

Yes. I thought they were posted on their website too, but now I can't find it. It is a photo of a cuttle fish egg. You can see the baby inside. The diver who shot it saw it on a safety stop. He didn't know what it was at the time.

Edited by Nakedwithoutcamera, 02 July 2008 - 08:17 AM.

Ellen B.

#7 scott_nielsen

scott_nielsen

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Interests:Love to dive and travel. Now, I'm trying uw photography, have a lot to learn.

Posted 02 July 2008 - 06:46 AM

Wonderful Shot! Great color, etc.

I thought they were on their site also, couldn't find them Scott

Edited by scott_nielsen, 02 July 2008 - 09:29 AM.

Camera, Nikon D300, Seatool housing, Inon Strobes.
One World, One Ocean, Let's Protect It!

#8 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2856 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 07:08 AM

Wonderful Shot! Great color, etc.
I thought they were on their site also, couldn't find them Scott

They definately were on the site, looks like the site changed and in fact a bookmark I had to the contest now returns a page not found. http://www.scubadivi...g/photocontest/ is still up but that page has been changed before I can see all the photos in the "Winners Will Be Chosen" now it is cut off by the material on the right

#9 scott_nielsen

scott_nielsen

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Interests:Love to dive and travel. Now, I'm trying uw photography, have a lot to learn.

Posted 02 July 2008 - 08:07 AM

Yes. I thought they were posted on their website too, but now I can't find it. It is a photo of a cuttlefish egg. You can see the baby inside. The diver who shot it saw it on a safety stop. He didn't know what it was at the time.

Hi Ellen? here's the link to the winners. scuba diving mag winners 2008

Edited by scott_nielsen, 02 July 2008 - 09:31 AM.

#10 Nakedwithoutcamera

Nakedwithoutcamera

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 08:19 AM

Hi Ellen? here's the link to the winners. scuba diving mag winners 2008

Thanks. Hey Scott can you do me a favor so I don't look like a complete idiot. I spelled cuttlefish wrong in my original post and you quoted me twice. Can you correct it. :P
Ellen B.

#11 ornate_wrasse

ornate_wrasse

• PipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 08:38 AM

Hey Scott can you do me a favor so I don't look like a complete idiot. I spelled cuttlefish wrong in my original post and you quoted me twice. Can you correct it. :P

I'm not absolutely 100% postive about this, but I don't think that Scott can correct it himself. :)
Once something appears in a quote, it may require the intervention of a moderator to change it.

We had a poster here a while back who had great difficulty staying on topic (and that's putting it mildly) who was eventually banned from wetpixel. He and others would use the technique of quoting something as a way of preserving what a poster had said.

Ellen
D300, Subal housing, Focus Fix Light, Tokina 10-17mm, 60mm, Sigma 17-70, 105mm VR, Inon Z240 (2)

www.pbase.com/ornate_wrasse

#12 Nakedwithoutcamera

Nakedwithoutcamera

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 08:43 AM

OK then, please note everyone. I know it's a cuttlefish and not a cuddlefish. I think I was in the mood for some hugs yesterday. LOL
Now, I hope this doesn't get me banned for being off topic. ;-)

Edited by Nakedwithoutcamera, 02 July 2008 - 08:43 AM.

Ellen B.

#13 scott_nielsen

scott_nielsen

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 09:33 AM

Great Sunburst Jeremey, this site is really cool. Have really been reading a lot today.

Ellen, sorry about that. Should be all fixed now. Scott

#14 Timmoranuk

Timmoranuk

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1170 posts
  • Interests:Technical diving; open circuit and rebreather, U/W photography, topside photography, travel, aviation and sailing.

Posted 02 July 2008 - 01:09 PM

Hi Jeremy

The surface water has a lovely texture and definition coming through. Very nice!

Over/unders are basically impossible without a dome, huh? I have tried (to no avail) with the G9 and a wide angle adapter ... guess it will have to wait until I get the D300/700 ... :-)

PMFJI but you may be interested to see a couple of my u/o attempts taken with the G9, UWL-100 and dome unit

IMG_1546.jpg IMG_1542.jpg

Edited by Timmoranuk, 02 July 2008 - 01:38 PM.

· Canon 5D3, 7D & Nauticam housings. Sigma 15mm, Canon 16-35mm, Tokina 10-17mm, Sigma 8-16mm, Canon 10-22mm, Sigma 17-70mm, Sigma 70-200mm, Sigma 120-300mm, Canon 60mm & 100mm
· INON Z-240s & Sea & Sea YS-250 Pros
· SmallHD DP4 monitor & NA-DP4. Fisheye Aquavolt 3500s & 7000s
· Zen DP-100, DP-200 & DP-230

#15 scott_nielsen

scott_nielsen

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 01:27 PM

PMFJI but you may be interested to see a couple of my u/o attempts taken with the G9, UWL-100 and dome unit

IMG_1546.jpg IMG_1542.jpg
[/quote]

those are great photos...can I do that with a fish eye lens and my oly350? I tired once and there was water all over the lens...thanks, scott

#16 jeremypayne

jeremypayne

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1199 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 07:13 PM

Cool over/unders! That's workin' well.

Check out a new edit - tell me if you like it better. I dodged/darkened the diver, hit the curves a bit and slightly tweaked the blue.

Posted Image

EDIT: Replaced the picture with a new version based on Tim's feedback ... darkened the guage a bit to match the body ...

Edited by jeremypayne, 03 July 2008 - 04:32 AM.

Jeremy Payne
My Website

#17 Timmoranuk

Timmoranuk

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1170 posts
  • Interests:Technical diving; open circuit and rebreather, U/W photography, topside photography, travel, aviation and sailing.

Posted 02 July 2008 - 11:09 PM

Nice. FWIW and if it were my pic, I'd try tidying up the diver's contents gauge...
· Canon 5D3, 7D & Nauticam housings. Sigma 15mm, Canon 16-35mm, Tokina 10-17mm, Sigma 8-16mm, Canon 10-22mm, Sigma 17-70mm, Sigma 70-200mm, Sigma 120-300mm, Canon 60mm & 100mm

#18 stewsmith

stewsmith

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1586 posts
  • Interests:World travel
    diving
    photography
    winding Drew up

Posted 03 July 2008 - 03:54 AM

I think cuddlefish sounds very cute - but of course we dont want to start cuddling them !!!!!!!!

Canon 5D MK2 - Sea and Sea housed - 17-40L 100mm - Sigma 15mm FE - twin YS250 pro's and gadgets galore

http://www.euphoticzoneimaging.com

#19 jeremypayne

jeremypayne

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1199 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 04:33 AM

Darkened the guage and replaced the pic in the prior post ... now the guage lanyard looks like it needs work ... back to photoshop I go ...

Edited by jeremypayne, 03 July 2008 - 04:34 AM.

Jeremy Payne
My Website

#20 Timmoranuk

Timmoranuk

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1170 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 08:51 AM

Darkened the guage and replaced the pic in the prior post ... now the guage lanyard looks like it needs work ... back to photoshop I go ...

maybe remove them altogether...