4 replies to this topic

#1 jnsgonda

jnsgonda

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 31 May 2003 - 02:44 PM

Hello,

I have a Cannon Printer (SJC-8600 I think - I'm at work) and ussually print my pics at home. I was wondering if any commercial operations will print high quality JPEG or TiFF files from cd-rw's sent to them or dropped off.
I would like to assume commercial ops would be able to print higher resolutions than myself. I have a Fuji S2 and would like to see the quality reflected in the prints. I know most places (Walmart,etc.) will print from cds but don't know the specifics. One better than the other?

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks,

John
Nikon D-200, Ikelite Housing, Dual DS-125 Strobes.

#2 TedJ

TedJ

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 31 May 2003 - 06:35 PM

John,
I have had Costco print a number of images for me. Price is .19 for 4x6 and $1.99 for 8x12. They use a Fuji Frontier print machine and print onto Fuji Archival paper. I have been very pleased with the results. I know I have run across a site where you can download ICC Profiles to be ued with this machine, or others at different locations, but I can't seem to find it in my Favorites. When I do I'll post.
TEdJ

Ted Janssen

NEX-7, Nauticam,  INON, and ULCS

#3 jnsgonda

jnsgonda

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 18 June 2003 - 04:15 PM

Hello,

I just wanted to report my experience with Cosco.

I was very happy with the results. The prints looked great using the glossy paper, much better than my Canon 8000 at home. Great price at 0.19 per print. I was also very happy with the 8X12 enlargements for $1.99 per print.

The pictures were TIFF (8 bit) files from a Fuji S2.

I converted the above files to the highest quality JPEGS as possible and ordered a set to compare.
I actually saw a large difference in quality between the TIFF and JPEGs which suprised me. From now on I will print only from the TIFFs. Also gave me another reason to shoot only in RAW.

Thanks for all your help,

John

#4 TedJ

TedJ

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 19 June 2003 - 03:01 AM

John,

Thanks for the feedback. I have not tried using Costco with TIFF files, very interesting results. I too will give it a try. Did they also use the Fuji machine and did you do anything about ICC profiles? Thanks TEdJ

Ted Janssen

NEX-7, Nauticam,  INON, and ULCS

#5 jnsgonda

jnsgonda

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 21 June 2003 - 03:24 PM

Ted,

The Cosco near me did use the Fuji Frontier printers. I didn't do anything about the ICC profiles, to be honest, because I'm not sure what you are referring to. I assume the ICC profile has something to do with the printer deciphering the colors correctly from a specific camera type (Nikon, Fuji, etc). I may have gotten lucky because I printed files from a Fuji camera through Finepix Viewer.

Thanks again,

John