• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rmenashes

rmenashes

Starfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 May 2002 - 12:39 PM

Does this set will give me good results in macro mode ?

#2 rstark

rstark

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 05 May 2002 - 08:34 PM

The only problem is that the DS-50 is that it only has one power setting when used at manual. Because the Aquatica housing can't be used with TTL that means the only way to adajust the output from the strobe is to move it further or closer to the subject which would become a real pain. Save up for either a DS-125 or a YS90DX or any other strobe that has manual power settings.

________
Robert

#3 davephdv

davephdv

Doc Eyeballs

• Senior Moderator
  • 2297 posts

Posted 06 May 2002 - 06:53 PM

I'm confused. Aquatica says their housing has a standard TTL socket. Why wouldn't the housing support TTL (or at least auto flash like the CP 5000)?
Dave Burroughs, Nikon D300, D2X, Subal housing, DS160 strobes

Life is a beach and then you dive.

My Website

#4 rstark

rstark

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 06 May 2002 - 07:35 PM

Because the TTL sensor (right next to the pop-up flash on the 995) is blocked by the housing. They say in their ads that it comes with a standard TTL bulkhead which it does. It just dosen't allow you to use it in TTL mode. Very bad marketing. I can imagine that they will have a lot of mad customers because of this.
I suggested to them that they put in a small window to support the TTL sensor before they released the housing, but they shot down the idea.
Mabey we can convince them to add a small TTL window as an addition What do you think?

________
Robert

#5 ikelite

ikelite

(In Memoriam)

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 07 May 2002 - 11:02 AM

rstark analysis is very correct. Interesting that insignificant little Ikelite still offers the best housing choice. It allows TTL opration with a sync cord or with our sensor. You can see all operations and that housing is sealed properly. The 45 degree aiming of the viewing screen at the surface on some housings makes vertical pictures more difficult and seeing the screen very difficult in bright conditions.

I apologize for such a commercial posting, but someone has to say something good about us.

ike

[Edited on 5-7-2002 by ike]