• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10645 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 08:43 AM

In my travels, I've met many an adventurer, from cameramen who've done Everest and Antarctic and joined expeditions to remote islands for 2 months with other crews. I have to say meeting Kingsley Holgate, the last true explorer following the steps of Livingstone, at the tail end of his epic journey circumnavigating the African continent probably is the most awe inspiring.
His latest adventure, call Africa Outside Edge expedition, took him round the entire edge of Africa in 1.5 years. Travelling in a caravan of Land Rovers, he took his family (including wife Jill, son Ross and grandson Tristan) along probably the most life changing journey I will ever imagine. Not only is this a journey of discovery and adventure, it is also a humanitarian effort. The "One Net, One Life" program distribute mosquito nets around the African Continent to control the spread of Malaria, one of the biggest killers on the continent. He also started a library system for various communities along the way and has a container filled with books in Mozambique to improve literacy.
The most impressive achievement to me is the Scroll of Peace and Goodwill, a book of messages and signatures from people along the route and included signatories like Nelson Mandela and Desmond Tutu. It was the grandest honor for me to be asked to sign the book as well and be part of this noble journey and cause. It included a handprint of a child in Guinea who were not literate and even the West Saharan President in Exile signed. All sorts of African royalty and dignitaries are in the book. This book will be cherished by all as it binds all that is African in one thick book.
I wish I could relate the stories he told us over dinner last night and the places he's been (I just expanded my list :lol: ) but suffice to say, this man has lived his life in adventure. Here are a few pics:

Posted Image
Fellow adventurer John Costello with the legend himself

Posted Image
One of the trucks from the caravan

Posted Image
The page where Nelson Mandela wrote his message in the Scroll

Posted Image
Bishop Desmond Tutu's message in support of this expedition

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#2 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10645 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 09:40 AM

2 more pics:
Posted Image
The artisan from Mali's inscription

Posted Image
A message from the exiled president of Western Sahara who watches over approximately 160,000 refugees removed by the moroccans. The least known humanitarian crisis in the world presently.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#3 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 10:29 AM

2 more pics:
Posted Image
The artisan from Mali's inscription

Posted Image
A message from the exiled president of Western Sahara who watches over over 160,000 refugees removed by the moroccans. The least known humanitarian crisis in the world presently.

What a great honour Drew; just surprised you're not part of their expedition considering all your exploits. :lol:
Personally I think your signature is more meaningful than either Tutu or Mandela. As a previous fan of theirs, I am astounded at their hypocrisy and deafening silence in the face of all the ongoing tragedies in Africa.

Edited by loftus, 09 July 2008 - 10:33 AM.

Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#4 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10645 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 04:57 PM

Well both Tutu and Mandela have spoken out against Darfur and Mugabe lately. I think Mandela was strategically quiet to support Mbeki's diplomatic mediatory role with Mugabe (which obviously has failed miserably!).
No one is perfect, Jeff. Anyhow, their presence in the book has helped the profile of the expedition and the good cause it supports.
As for me joining an expedition for 1.5 years? I doubt I have the stamina for living on the road like that for that extended period. The longest trip I ever took was 5 mths and I had to have nice hotels thrown in now and then to survive it. Living in a tent on the road for that long?!? I'm not Kingsley and sure don't want to be him :lol:... as great a man as he is.

Drew