• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#21 scubariga

scubariga

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 10:21 AM

I'm not sure which adapter you are using for your Inon lenses, so it's difficult to understand how it works exactly. Can you still shoot with the internal flash or do you need an external strobe with it?

I have used two Inon UCL-165 lenses stacked together and to avoid getting shadows I just move the diffuser to the end of the lenses. In practice this is done by two holes in the diffuser and piece of elastic string.

The UCL-165 has twice the magnification of the UCL-330, which is what you need if you are doing macro.
This is because minimum focus distance with the 330 is 10cm and with the 165 is 6cm, so you can focus much closer with the 165 you get more magnification.
http://www.oceanopti...oseuplense.html

That was fast!!

I can use the internal flash.

It looks like thisone but without the screw:

http://www.onderwate...roducts_id=1099

scubariga
I use a Canon G7, with hacked firmware(CDHK) and one Inon UCL-165 macrolens

#22 BrianM

BrianM

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Interests:Drinking, Diving and Debauchery, but not necessarily in that order

Posted 10 August 2008 - 11:33 AM

That was fast!!

I can use the internal flash.

It looks like thisone but without the screw:

http://www.onderwate...roducts_id=1099

scubariga

OK, yes I have seen that type of adapter. It sits a bit proud of the existing port, so I wasn't sure how much of it gets in the way of the internal flash and if it would interfere with using the Canon diffuser. Maybe you could post a photo of your housing, adapter and diffuser in use. I'm sure that would help other G9 users.
Brian

"Downgrade, downgrade, you know it makes sense!"
Canon G9 & G7 in modified Canon WP-DC21 & WP-DC11 housings, 2 x Inon UCL-165 macro lens, no strobe, just internal flash.

Photos Profile

#23 tripntx

tripntx

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 08:08 AM

I'm going to experiment, hopefully this mod will work with WP-DC16 housing for A720IS camera. Just ordered several sizes from 47th Street Photo to experiment with, cost is cheap, 2 each 52mm-67mm; 3 each 58mm-67mm; 3 each 62mm-67mm.

Shipping Method: Standard
Shipping Preference: Group my items into as few shipments as possible
Subtotal of Items: $33.25
Shipping & Handling: $7.95
------
Total for this Order: $41.20

Delivery estimate: August 29, 2008 - September 4, 2008
Shipping estimate for these items: August 26, 2008 - August 27, 2008

3 each "Adorama Step-Up Adapter Ring 58mm Lens to 67mm Filter Size"
Electronics; $3.95

Sold by: 47th Street Photo
3 each "Adorama Step-Up Adapter Ring 62mm Lens to 67mm Filter Size"
Electronics; $4.50

2 each "Adorama Step-Up Adapter Ring 52mm Lens to 67mm Filter Size"
Electronics; $3.95

#24 BrianM

BrianM

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 08:52 AM

I used a 62mm to 67mm ring to reduce the width of the ring to a minimum so that the ring didn't vignette the lens when the camera was zoomed out to it's widest. So you need to be careful here with your choice of stepping rings.
Brian

Canon G9 & G7 in modified Canon WP-DC21 & WP-DC11 housings, 2 x Inon UCL-165 macro lens, no strobe, just internal flash.

Photos Profile

#25 tripntx

tripntx

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 09:18 AM

I used a 62mm to 67mm ring to reduce the width of the ring to a minimum so that the ring didn't vignette the lens when the camera was zoomed out to it's widest. So you need to be careful here with your choice of stepping rings.

If anything, the 52-67 &/or 58-67 can be used for lens holders on housing or mount base. Mostly, I just wanted something to experiment with.

Have you ever tried a Wide Angle lens with 67mm treads?
The A720IS doesn't go very wide, and I formerly dove with Oly C7070 and C8080 underwater.

#26 BrianM

BrianM

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 09:37 AM

I haven't tried the wide angle lens because on the G9 housing (the same for you I think) the lens port is long to accommodate the 6 x optical zoom. With the camera lens at it's widest 35mm equivalent, an Inon wide angle lens would vignette quite a bit, so you would need to zoom in to get rid of the vignetting and once you do that you reduce the wide angle. By how much I don't know, but I think you could find it renders it little better than 35mm. This why Ikelite and Patima have short port options on their G9 housings, so that wide angle wet lenses can be used effectively.

Of course you could buy another Canon housing and chop the port down like Auder did here http://wetpixel.com/...showtopic=15634

Edited by BrianM, 25 August 2008 - 09:47 AM.

Brian

Photos Profile

#27 tripntx

tripntx

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 10:09 AM

Thanks for the link, but not gonna hack up my housing right now.

May try this in the future once prices start dropping when A720is and WP-DC16 are discontinued.

#28 NicoKSA

NicoKSA

Starfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:Diving, photography

Posted 26 August 2008 - 11:42 PM

Hi,

I am quite interested by modifying my case but I would lke to know if it is possible make an adapter for this case but for these inon lenses : UFL-165AD & UCL-165AD, I have these lenses from my old Ikelite Case for my Fuji F810, I would like to use them again.

thanks

#29 BrianM

BrianM

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 05:53 AM

Hi,

I am quite interested by modifying my case but I would lke to know if it is possible make an adapter for this case but for these inon lenses : UFL-165AD & UCL-165AD, I have these lenses from my old Ikelite Case for my Fuji F810, I would like to use them again.

thanks

The UFL-165AD & UCL-165AD lenses are a bayonet fit so you wouldn't be able to use them with a filter thread solution like mine. Though I do know someone in a similar situation to you and he used a cable tie to fix two strips of Velcro to the lens and the glued the other halves of the Velcro to his housing port.
Brian

Photos Profile

#30 NicoKSA

NicoKSA

Starfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:Diving, photography

Posted 29 August 2008 - 08:20 PM

The UFL-165AD & UCL-165AD lenses are a bayonet fit so you wouldn't be able to use them with a filter thread solution like mine. Though I do know someone in a similar situation to you and he used a cable tie to fix two strips of Velcro to the lens and the glued the other halves of the Velcro to his housing port.

Maybe I can try to mke something using the adapter from Ikelite for the F810 Housing that I have. let to see

#31 tripntx

tripntx

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 06:03 PM

Just wanted to update my post above, received adapters today. When I get around to doing this, I'll be using 52 to 67mm adapter with my DC16 housing for A720IS. 58 to 67mm might work, but 62 to 67mm is definitely to large.

#32 mr_photo

mr_photo

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 03:59 PM

As promised, I'm returning with some of my results from this GREAT modification. I've been really satisfied so far with the results, though I've taken a few pictures with the lenses that, in retrospect, I probably should have shot without... I guess I've been over-eager.

I do have a followup question about using the manual focus with the double stacked lenses. Should I even bother paying attention to the focal distance displayed next to the focus bar graph, or should I simply use my eye to gauge when I'm in focus? Or to rephrase it, what effect do the lenses have on the distance displayed on this bar graph?

Tiger Flat Worm
Fried Egg Slug
Whitemargin Slug
Trembling Slug
Imperial Slug
Titan Scorpionfish
Spanish Dancer Sea Slug Eggs
Last Pic

#33 BrianM

BrianM

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 04:13 PM

Those photos look pretty good to me, so I'm pleased you like the housing mod.

For focusing I prefer to press the shutter half way and get the focus lock light, then carefully move back and forth very slightly to get the depth of field where I want it, judging this by eye.
Brian

Photos Profile

#34 mr_photo

mr_photo

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 02:56 PM

Thanks Brian, I'll give the focus lock a try this weekend to see what I can do.

#35 BrianM

BrianM

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 03:58 PM

Thanks Brian, I'll give the focus lock a try this weekend to see what I can do.

I always try practicing stuff like this in the housing at my desk with some suitable subjects, that way it's easier when I come to do it underwater when I need to get it right.
Brian

Photos Profile

#36 scubariga

scubariga

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 06:09 AM

Hi,

As I mentioned I use a new adaptor for my WP-DC11 to mount a Inon 67mm macro lens.
My G7 has also a hacked firmware (CDHK) to shoot RAW-files, it works perfect! So I allmost got a G9 :lol:

Here are some pictures:

Adaptor for Inon wetlens
WP-DC11 with macrolens
WP-DC11 with macrolens
WP-DC11 with macrolens

cheers
scubariga

#37 BrianM

BrianM

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 07:50 AM

Yes, that adapter looks as if it will work pretty well. So those who don't want to do my DIY method can now buy something similar to you.
How does it work underwater, do you get any vignetting from the adapter with wide angle shots or is it OK?
Brian

Photos Profile

#38 scubariga

scubariga

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 11:48 AM

Yes, that adapter looks as if it will work pretty well. So those who don't want to do my DIY method can now buy something similar to you.
How does it work underwater, do you get any vignetting from the adapter with wide angle shots or is it OK?

It works fine underwater, just when I shoot macro shots closer then 5 cm, it has shadows from the extention.
No vignetting from the adapter, because you can remove the adaptor with the macrolens underwater without problems.

cheers

#39 BrianM

BrianM

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 01:00 PM

It works fine underwater, just when I shoot macro shots closer then 5 cm, it has shadows from the extention.
No vignetting from the adapter, because you can remove the adaptor with the macrolens underwater without problems.

cheers

If you mean the lens creates a shadow in the flash, then just move the diffuser to the end of the lens. I use a piece of elastic to hold it in place and get no shadow even with 2 lenses stacked.
Brian

Photos Profile

#40 SlipperyDick

SlipperyDick

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Interests:Scuba/Free Diving, Mechanical Engineering, Skateboarding, Snowboarding, Exercising, Partying, Sleeping...

Posted 13 September 2008 - 09:18 PM

I've got a few questions about that adapter (not yours Brian, very nice work btw). How does that adapter secure to the port? and how much $$?

Asking because I'm in the process of producing my own adapters for various diopters and ports. Here's an adapter that I made for the Ike 67mm port, which can take the UCLs (amongst other lenses).

IKE_67___CLOSED___low_res.jpg
IKE_67___OPEN___low_res.jpg

Keri
Keri Wilk
ReefNet Inc.
www.reefnet.ca