Photo
- - - - -

Your Chance to Dive with Eric Cheng and Douglas Seifert!

• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

#121 ornate_wrasse

ornate_wrasse

• PipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 08:43 PM

Ellen -- the image looks back-focused. What setup were you using? If you were focused as close as your setup allowed, you may want to consider using an internal diopter to help you get focus right up to the port.

Hi Eric,

First of all, thanks for the feedback. I was shooting with my 60mm lens inside my Subal macro port. I don't know if this has anything to do with why it looks back-focused but I did tinker around quite a bit with the raw image using Capture NX. Which diopter would you recommend? I've never used them before.

I did notice that a number of images taken on that dive were out of focus, although of course they looked decent in the camera before they got downloaded to my computer screen. I was wondering why so many of them were out of focus. I've had great luck using the 60mm lens before.

Thanks again. It was fun to be on the boat with you on Monday :bananashark:

All the best,

Ellen
D300, Subal housing, Focus Fix Light, Tokina 10-17mm, 60mm, Sigma 17-70, 105mm VR, Inon Z240 (2)

www.pbase.com/ornate_wrasse

#122 Simon Rogerson

Simon Rogerson

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 05:37 PM

Hi Ellen,

I'll try and help: A 60mm lens inside a flat Subal port should not require a dioptre. In fact, you should be able to focus down to less then an inch from the port. The fact that your photos were only slightly out suggests a number of possibe explanations.

1. If you were shooting in manual, perhaps the viewfinder focus switch had been tripped (if one exists on your Nikon), but this is a rare problem.
2. If you were using autofocus, perhaps your focus priority system was locked onto one side, hence your camera focusssing on the background rather than the central subject.
3. Your 60mm lens was stuck in the 'limit' setting and you were simply too close to focus correctly on some of your subjects. This is most likely the culprit.

My recommendation is to set the lens to 'full', use autofocus with spot metering, check that focus priority is locked in the central position (you can lock the function on the camera) and then experiment from that benchmark.

SimonR