• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 kthan

kthan

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 04 June 2003 - 07:16 PM

I have been following the forum for a month now as it is a good resource for info on underwater photography. I have kind of decided to setup a S2 pro system and I would like your views in the following queries I have, some of which may sound like "stupid" questions. Hence please bear with me.

1. Is it a hassle to use 2 different sets of batteries? Are the CR123 / DL123 lithium batteries rechargable? How many shots do they typically last?

2. I am geared towards an Ikelite Housing because of cost issues. Are there any drawbacks on this housing which would affect the functionality of the DSLR underwater? Heard there is a new back for S2 Pro with the launch of the D100 housing in July :)

3. I already have both the S&S YS90DX auto and Ikelite DS60 strobe. Is TTL possilbe with using both strobes? Should I connect both via a syn cord (is that possible) or the Ikelite on a syn cord and S&S on slave? TTL is the reason I decided on the S2 Pro. Ultimately, i'd buy a DS125 after hearing the good reviews on this strobe.

4. Nikon 60mm macro or Sigma 50mm macro? I reckon Sigma is a cheaper option but is the lens as good? However, the Nikon 60mm macro can share the same dome port with the Sigma 14mm f/2.8 and I save buying an additional port for Sigma 50mm macro.

5. Many people are recommending the Sigma 15mm fisheye for wide angle. I can't seem to find a suitable port for this lens at the Ike website. Is there one in the first place? The local Ike distributor doesn't stock any ports so trial and error after buying the lens is a no-no. In fact, i may even need to find out the model number for him to place my orders if anything.

6. Do I always shoot tiff? Is the writing and downloading speed slow for a 4 mb photo?

Thanks and hope to hear from you fellas soon.

regards
Eric

#2 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9968 posts

Posted 04 June 2003 - 07:27 PM

Read this first:

http://wetpixel.com/...ews/s2_wiseman/

Sincerely,
James Wiseman
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#3 kthan

kthan

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 05 June 2003 - 05:54 PM

thanks James.

#4 kthan

kthan

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 05 June 2003 - 06:34 PM

James, you seem to know what the end user's queries would be, as your review has answered most of the questions pertaining to underwater photography on the S2 pro. Great Review!

For the benefit of other followers of this thread, some answers to my questions are as follows (as read from the reviews). However, do correct me if my understanding was wrong:

1. the high capacity AA batteries can shoot "hundreds" of frames.

2. the new Ikelite back (ready in July) allows access to all functions of S2.

3. I'm not too sure about the possibility of getting TTL with 2 strobes of different make. Someone please enlighten me here. I know the Ikelite strobe on sys cord will get me TTL but how about the S&S on slave? Is it possible to syn cord both strobes to the system?

4. Port sharing of Nikon 60mm macro, 18-35 mm ED , 16 mm fisheye and Sigma 14mm seems like a good adavantage to have. One port , many lens.

5. Could the Sigma 15 mm fisheye fit into the 5503.50 dome port? ?If not, which dome port should i use?

6. James suggested shooting jpg for the test shot and then swict to RAW. BTW, the S2 is capable of shooting 2 frames per second up to 7 before writing to memory due to its buffer memory.

Looking forward to hearing some advice on my point 3 and 5.

Regards
Eric

#5 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9968 posts

Posted 05 June 2003 - 07:02 PM

You need minimum 2 ports: the flat port listed and the extended dome. That will cover all the lenses you listed.

You can achieve TTL with a dual cord if your strobes are of the same make. Since the housing only has one bulkhead - if you want to "mix and match" strobe types for hardwired TTL you will need to find the discontinued Ikelite Tee cord.

The Lithium batteries are not required when the camera is used without the popup flash. Meaning, you don't need them for UW shooting. If you do have them fitted, they do make the AA's last longer.

HTH
James Wiseman
Dual Ikelite Strobes

#6 kthan

kthan

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 05 June 2003 - 11:44 PM

tks again James.

Now I 'll know what to look out for the setup.

Regards
Eric

#7 scottyb

scottyb

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 06 June 2003 - 05:58 PM

Not being argumentive, but when I let the CR 123's run down 1 time, the whole camera shut down and would not function. This was top side and nearly sent me intro a tailspin since I thought they only served to provide the built in flash. It was about a week before a live-aboard trip and I thought the camera had dumped on me. Since then, I have never allowed them to expire. The use of 2 types of batteries is a small price to pay for the convenience of using AA's for the main power source. They are available almost anywhere.

The battery consumption is incredible with this camera. After the Nikon Coolpix 600, the only other digital I have owned. I was totally amazed by the low battery consumption of the S2.
I have 2 SB 105's from my Nikonos days and they have worked in TTL magnificently. I have yet to shoot wide-angle with the setup, waiting for the arrival of my 12-24 DX.

#8 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9968 posts

Posted 06 June 2003 - 08:40 PM

Ya, don't put the CR123a's in at all, or make sure you have a fresh set. If they run down in the camera, just pop them out (but can't do this underwater of course)

Cheers
James
Dual Ikelite Strobes

#9 diverhead.com

diverhead.com

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 13 June 2003 - 11:51 AM

You need minimum 2 ports: the flat port listed and the extended dome.  That will cover all the lenses you listed.

So, the 5503.50 will work with the Sig 15mm Fisheye? Just want to be sure. I just ordered my camera body and lenses and I'm pricing out the Ike housing. Unfortunately, Ike doesn't list the Sig 15mm Fisheye on their port chart here.

#10 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9968 posts

Posted 13 June 2003 - 12:21 PM

I don't know - I haven't used that lens in the Ikelite housing. It will probably work though.

Cheers
James
Dual Ikelite Strobes

#11 dhaas

dhaas

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts

Posted 14 June 2003 - 07:20 AM

Amigos,
The #5503.50 extended dome port works with the 18-35mm zoom Nikkor and +4 diopter. I used both the Sigma 15mm fisheye and Nikon 16mm fisheye on my protoype MD D100 housing in May. Using the standard dome port #5503 or even the superwide dome port #5503.15 there was no vignetting due to the 1.5X apparent image magnification of the Nikon D100 and Fuji S2 cameras.

The Nikon 16mm focuses to like 9 inches while the Sigma focuses to 5.9 inches (!!!) Apparent view is almost 120 degrees and slight bending at the corners which some may find objectionable. In looking at images at 100% + magnification I see no difference in the shots at f5.6 or smaller. Since I was borrowing a buddy's 16mm Nikon and anohter friend's Sigma 15mm I came home and bought a Sigma for $300.00 or so off Ebay. If you want to read a good digital shooter's opinion got to www.bythom.com (Thom Hogan's site) and read the review and see some surface shots. I can email folks a small sampling of underwater photos if you email me offline.

One final note. Since the new 12-24mm James is getting has the same filter diameter as the Nikon 18-35mm (77mm) and likely the same body size I'm betting it will fit in the extended #5503.50 dome port, but not need a diopter since it focuses closer than 1 foot. Only problem I might forsee which James and I have discussed off line is the ZOOM ring on this lens is definitely at the FRONT of the lens and may be unreachable by the Ikelite zoom clamp/port sleeve combination. Perhaps inverting the ZOOM clamp so the "ears" point back to the camera body one would be able to use this great new optic underwater for an equivalent 18-36mm plus the ability to raise up and shoot through the port without a diopter.

Different strokes for different folks.

David Haas
Haas Photography Inc.
dhaas@megsinet.net
David Haas
www.haasimages.com

#12 kthan

kthan

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 15 June 2003 - 06:40 PM

dear all, the #5503.50 seems to be the wonder port. According to the Ikelite port chart, under the 60 mm Macro lens, both dome port #5503.50 and flat port #5505.5 are listed. Does it mean that both ports are needed or we can use either one ? If we can use either port, any adverse effect in housing the macro lens in the wonder port #5503.50, since most people use a flat port for macro?

Thanks.

#13 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9968 posts

Posted 16 June 2003 - 04:59 AM

You will get a wider field of view (or less magnification) if you use the 60mm lens behind a dome port.

HTH
James Wiseman
Dual Ikelite Strobes

#14 kthan

kthan

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 16 June 2003 - 05:06 PM

Tks James.

I heard from Ikelite that the new aluminium back (which allows access to more functions) for the S2 Pro will be ready for shipping in August. Sadly, the new housing will be more expensive than the current one as wel.

#15 kthan

kthan

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 17 June 2003 - 06:28 PM

Sea & sea strobes on Ike housing

Ikelite told me that the S&S strobes could not be connected to Ikelite housing. Apparently, some of you manage to do just that and still get TTL. May I know where you get the duo syn cord - S&S or Ikelite, and what particular syn cord is that?

Thanks.

#16 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9968 posts

Posted 18 June 2003 - 05:31 AM

That is correct. There is no dual sync cord to go from Ikelite housings to Sea and Sea Strobes.

I used a discontinued item - an Ikelite Tee cord - which goes from an Ikelite housing to a T containing two Nikonos bulkheads. I found the Tee cord on Ebay.

I eventually sold my Sea and Sea strobe and I now use a dual Ike-Ike cord and DS125 strobes.

HTH
James
Dual Ikelite Strobes