• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Graham Abbott

Graham Abbott

Manta Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  • Interests:Diving, diving, diving, marine life, critters, rare animals, new species, mountain biking, Indonesia in general, San Francisco, music and a growing interest in art of all kinds!

Posted 27 July 2008 - 03:45 PM

Go to this link and check out the trailer....
A very bizarre artist, creating a very different documentary about Antarctica!
I've only seen the trailer so far!

http://movies.nytime...-World/trailers

#2 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 04:10 PM

Very cool, thanks; I'll have to look out for the video release as I can't imagine it will come to my local theatre.

Edited by loftus, 27 July 2008 - 04:11 PM.

Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#3 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 27 July 2008 - 04:17 PM

Looks interesting. Herzog's commentary drives me nuts, though.

"To me, they were like priests preparing for mass." :blink:

Also, what's up with the underwater camera work? I mean, I understand the shaky camera thing as a chosen style, but it just wasn't necessary there.
eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#4 Graham Abbott

Graham Abbott

Manta Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  • Interests:Diving, diving, diving, marine life, critters, rare animals, new species, mountain biking, Indonesia in general, San Francisco, music and a growing interest in art of all kinds!

Posted 27 July 2008 - 04:33 PM

Also, what's up with the underwater camera work? I mean, I understand the shaky camera thing as a chosen style, but it just wasn't necessary there.

Yeah, he's a total whacked out artist, but what about the sounds made by the animals?

Hey, what happened with Wetpixel the re-vamp here? All funky for a none webby guy like me!

#5 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 04:50 PM

All that was missing was Klaus Kinski I guess

Edited by loftus, 27 July 2008 - 04:50 PM.

Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#6 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10639 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 05:04 PM

Whaddya want? He's Bavarian german.
I think his cameraman is Henry Kaiser... who happens to be a musician masquerading as a producer and u/w cameraman. I don't think the shakey camerawork was always intentional :)
Actually I quite like Herzog's work. He's a great auteur and he appreciates good work :D :)

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#7 ScubaLuke

ScubaLuke

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 02:59 AM

Actually I quite like Herzog's work. He's a great auteur and he appreciates good work :) :blink:

So am I - especially the documentaries. I really liked Grizzly Man and Little Dieter Needs to Fly.

And speaking of documentaries, I saw one a couple of weeks ago that I really liked, Deep Water, about the first solo around the world yacht race:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0460766/

Luke

#8 Graham Abbott

Graham Abbott

Manta Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 03:44 AM

Actually I quite like Herzog's work. He's a great auteur and he appreciates good work :) :blink:

Yeah Drew, he's got a rather interesting eye for light! However his earlier work was just too controversial and whacky, he should have been locked up for it, never mind becoming celebrated as a so called artist! All that stuff he was doing in the Amazon was too insane for my liking!
What you say?

#9 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10639 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 07:21 AM

Well when a convicted pedophile gets an oscar for directing and gets support calls to forgive and forget, you sorta know the world is a pretty screwed up place.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.