6 replies to this topic

#1 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5844 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 01 August 2008 - 01:07 PM

A few weeks ago, I went over to see a friend and his baby girl, Ella. Ella has decided that the first issue of Wetpixel Quarterly is her favorite book, and every day, she goes through the issue page by page and studies the full-page photos. I was amazed to find that at 20-months of age, she can name *every* animal in WPQ1! Check out this video of Ella identifying critters (including a photo of me).

Does your child have an affinity towards marine animals? If so, let's see some videos. ^_^
eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#2 Graham Abbott

Graham Abbott

Manta Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  • Interests:Diving, diving, diving, marine life, critters, rare animals, new species, mountain biking, Indonesia in general, San Francisco, music and a growing interest in art of all kinds!

Posted 01 August 2008 - 01:32 PM

Ah so cute, a budding underwater enthusiast - cool!

I love this video feature Eric - gud on ya!

#3 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10645 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 01:52 PM

My god-daughter got a DVD of sea life from me at 12 mths (with the alphabets A-Z and every fish I could identify with common/scientific names) and I would sit down with her to identify all the fishies. At 20mths, she remembered the video by heart. She's since moved on to cetaceans. Hopefully next year she gets to go to sea with me when the big pods of common dolphins are around.
I've sent this video to a few more kids and parents love it cos it's separated into 20 mins play sections, just enough to keep the kids interested and out of their hair. Of course, I stopped making them once the parents started using them as entertainment/distractions for kids. ^_^
Sorry no vid. :)

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#4 Giles

Giles

International Supermodel

• 2618 posts
  • Interests:water and sun my friend, thats what turns me on.

Posted 01 August 2008 - 01:55 PM

My Dogs bark at Tarpon when they breach !

My cat knows Salmon and Tuna ...

and my not nephew is big into Turtles and larger palaegics.

Eric .. you still using the Flip ?
would be nice to hear what you think about it from a fun have on you always mostly for web use video camera !!
They have interested me for a while .. but I haven't picked one up as they just look like they would break real quick.
me on the web >> journal / flickr / portfolio
i use >> my camera, eye & stunning good looks

#5 Graham Abbott

Graham Abbott

Manta Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  • Interests:Diving, diving, diving, marine life, critters, rare animals, new species, mountain biking, Indonesia in general, San Francisco, music and a growing interest in art of all kinds!

Posted 01 August 2008 - 01:58 PM

My god-daughter got a DVD of sea life from me at 12 mths (with the alphabets A-Z and every fish I could identify with common/scientific names) and I would sit down with her to identify all the fishies. At 20mths, she remembered the video by heart. She's since moved on to cetaceans. Hopefully next year she gets to go to sea with me when the big pods of common dolphins are around.
I've sent this video to a few more kids and parents love it cos it's separated into 20 mins play sections, just enough to keep the kids interested and out of their hair. Of course, I stopped making them once the parents started using them as entertainment/distractions for kids. ^_^
Sorry no vid. :)

Even though you say sorry no vid! I gotta ask, can you somehow get me a copy for me nephews? They love underwater stuff and I'd love to send them some videos!

#6 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5844 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 01 August 2008 - 11:49 PM

I love my Flip. I normally use a Sanyo HD700 (what the above video was shot with), but in low light, the Sanyo is terrible. The Flip is great in low light, and I can upload the videos to Kyte.tv without having to letterbox them.

I hear Japan has a Sanyo HD800 now, and that it's supposed to be less noisy. We'll see...
eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#7 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10645 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 12:10 AM

You are such a gear freak, eric! ^_^
Sorry Abbey, I threwn out the files 2 years ago... I'd have to start all over again and that took a week of hardwork something I don't have right now.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.