• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Graham Abbott

Graham Abbott

Manta Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  • Interests:Diving, diving, diving, marine life, critters, rare animals, new species, mountain biking, Indonesia in general, San Francisco, music and a growing interest in art of all kinds!

Posted 01 August 2008 - 01:29 PM

I'm just wondering if there are any Wetpixel members out there that have ever tried Lomography? It doesn't have to be underwater, I'm just keen to hear from anyone who has any knowledge of this camera set up!

I love the marketing blurb that goes with this funky little camera, see below:

"We LomoGoldfish ought to be clear in our minds about one thing, though: too much severity, seriousness and correctness in a person's behaviour frequently leads to inflexibility and fundamentalism; too many rules and too strict a faith in same leads to narrow-mindedness and a blinkered view of things. which is the precise opposite of our so highly prized Fisheye view! So carry on being good humoured, funny and ironic with one another, be critical first of yourselves and your own main insights. and never forget one thing: You only have a couple of millilitres of brain matter, which is nowhere near enough to get to the bottom of and understand everything"

Edited by Graham Abbott, 01 August 2008 - 01:48 PM.

#2 Balrog

Balrog

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 01:02 AM

Indeed, despite not having lomographic equipment, all my shots seem to conform to the spirit ^_^

#3 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 06:06 AM

Great concept for a site. Their 10 rules definitely outline a plan to put the phun in photography.
Thanks Graham, I'll pass this on to my photonerd buds. Only problem with this approach, it really pisses off my family. ^_^
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#4 Graham Abbott

Graham Abbott

Manta Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  • Interests:Diving, diving, diving, marine life, critters, rare animals, new species, mountain biking, Indonesia in general, San Francisco, music and a growing interest in art of all kinds!

Posted 03 August 2008 - 03:36 AM

Great concept for a site. Their 10 rules definitely outline a plan to put the phun in photography.
Thanks Graham, I'll pass this on to my photonerd buds. Only problem with this approach, it really pisses off my family. ^_^

Yeah, I think some photographers can worry a little too much over f stops and stuff. This is purely going to be fun for me! As is my topside shooting here in Frisco with my buddies D300. The camera is always telling me to use a different setting, now I don't even look at that line in the bottom, it lies to me, I simply shoot my subject till I'm happy with the shot!

Hey, I even had Eric Cheng modeling for me the other day! Maybe I'll have Norb as my model tomorow? If something inspires me to shoot that is!

So why does it piss off your family?

#5 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 04:42 AM

They think I'm a nerd always having a camera with me; and if I really want to piss them off I just need to get in their face with it a little.
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#6 underwatercolours

underwatercolours

Manta Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • Interests:skinny dipping, sailing, snow skiing, water skiing, art galleries, classic cars, flying

Posted 04 August 2008 - 08:21 PM

I never heard of that before until your post, but it does look like an awful lot of fun. I found myself browsing ebay for cameras. They sure are cheap compared to what we're all used to these days. Hmmmm...I wonder how I could take it underwater.

#7 underwatercolours

underwatercolours

Manta Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • Interests:skinny dipping, sailing, snow skiing, water skiing, art galleries, classic cars, flying

Posted 04 August 2008 - 09:11 PM

Right after I posted I checked on ebay and found several underwater cameras there. I also Googled and found a Photoshop action that simulates one the effects. I don't know how it compares to the film results, but it was kind of fun. Finally a use for the images I captured all those times where I forgot to take my camera off of high speed continuous.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by underwatercolours, 04 August 2008 - 09:44 PM.

#8 oneyellowtang

oneyellowtang

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 07:13 PM

Graham,

Somewhat unrelated but...

For those of us who have grown up here, the worst thing you can call the City is "Frisco..." (Michael Jackson made this same mistake in one of his songs...)

You can call it SF, you can call it The City, you can call it the City by the Bay, you can even refer to it as "Bagdad by the Bay" (old reference) - but never as "Frisco" or "San Fran"

Just want to make sure you know the "rules" so you don't piss off the locals...

Yeah, I think some photographers can worry a little too much over f stops and stuff. This is purely going to be fun for me! As is my topside shooting here in Frisco with my buddies D300. The camera is always telling me to use a different setting, now I don't even look at that line in the bottom, it lies to me, I simply shoot my subject till I'm happy with the shot!

Hey, I even had Eric Cheng modeling for me the other day! Maybe I'll have Norb as my model tomorow? If something inspires me to shoot that is!

#9 omiksemaj

omiksemaj

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 11:38 AM

My wife and I have played with a Lomography OKTOMAT - it has 8 lenses that fire one after the other to explose 1/8 sections of the 35mm negative.

I've been fun to play with in the city and anywhere that you can capture a progression of action.

Further, it has no settings - shoot, advance, shoot again, advance, etc - you're free to look for fun moments and not consider exposure.

I recently tossed out some prints and negatives that we took, otherwise I could scan and attach, but the Flickr Oktomat Group is demonstrative
Current System:
MDX-40D Housing with Canon EOS 40D
NX Zoom Port
EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro
EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 USM II
TLC Arms, 2x 8"-8"
Dual YS-110s