• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 TedJ

TedJ

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 08 June 2003 - 04:28 AM

Did anyone use this filter with a Nikonos V and if so do you have any suggestions for its use? Thanks TedJ

Ted Janssen

NEX-7, Nauticam,  INON, and ULCS

#2 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8384 posts

Posted 08 June 2003 - 06:48 AM

I use it (well in 40 and 50CC versions) on my Nik V stuck to the rear of the 15mm lens.

A 30CC will work best with a light path of 7.5 feet (working on 4CC units of per foot of light path). So it is a shallow water tool. You will also loose 1-2 stops of light compared with shooting without the filter. You can get away with being a couple of feet either side on the light path and still get reasonable slides.

Below is a picture I took two years ago on film using a 50CC red and 17-35mm on my Nikon F100. This is probably my favourite filtered shot (not on digital). It was a long exposure, zooming the lens while the shutter was open. I was probably 3-4 feet shallower than the optimum light path for that filter - that's why the orange Anthias are Red! Now this doesn't matter on an abstract shot like this - but would be unacceptable if the shot was taken without the zoom blur.

I think CC RED filters are particularly good for people's skin tones. But it is easiest to get pleasing results on digital - where you can tune camera's white balance or post process in Photochop!

Alex

Oh, light path is surface to subject and on to camera.

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).