Photo
- - - - -

Wife constrained where to go, help pls :)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cjames

cjames

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 08 June 2003 - 06:04 AM

My wife is turning 40 this year and wants to go to the S. Pacific. We were married on Taveuni at Dive Taveuni and saw 3 islands there, so that's not an option. Her first thoughts were Truk or Great Barrier Reef. The constraints are she doesn't want do a liveaboard (her only experience was the Fling to the Flower Gardens and she can't get it out of her head that not all live aboards are like that). We've got trillions of Continental points, so we can fly for free to Truk, Palau, Bali, or Carnes. She was into Palau until she heard a lot of it was high current diving (not her thing). For my part, I'm taking my video rig, hopefully my new 10D, and a rebreather rig. Where would y'all recommend we go?

Thanks
Corby

Canon EOS 300D
Ikelite Housing
2 DS125s

#2 JackConnick

JackConnick

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, diving, women, cats

Posted 08 June 2003 - 10:54 PM

Truk is really only beest done by liveaboard. the hotel is ok, but there is nothing else there to see where it is.

But Truk Odyssey is an incredible liveaboard. Voted something like 6 years in a row the best in the world. It is huge (130'), beautiful and very well run. Not much if any current there.

You can check out my website below for pictures on Palau, Fiji & Truk. You really might want to consider Fiji angain. Seeing 3 islands there is sonthing when there are 100's there. Another section of the islands can be completely different.

Don't limit yorself!

Jack

Jack Connick
Optical Ocean Sales.com Sea & Sea, Olympus, Ikelite, Athena, Zen, Fix, Nauticam, Aquatica, Seacam, Gates, 10Bar, Light & Motion, iTorch/I-DAS & Fantasea Line - Cameras, Housings, Strobes, Arms, Trays & Accessories
Blog & Gallery: Optical Ocean Sales Blog
Flickr Gallerys: Optical Ocean on Flickr

#3 tshepherd

tshepherd

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 09 June 2003 - 03:53 AM

I've got to second the vote not to go to Truk unless you're going on the Odyssey. Also, don't know what type of rebreather you're bringing, but plan on packing anything you might need if you do go to Truk. One of the guys on my trip two weeks ago brought his Inspiration, and had to pack all the chemicals for cleaning and the sodasorb. Talk about a sight watching him try and go through airport security...

#4 Cybergoldfish

Cybergoldfish

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts
  • Interests:Don't include plankton

Posted 09 June 2003 - 04:13 AM

Dive trips in SEA as a whole will see you collect your rebreather on the way out of the country if it hasn't already been destroyed - be warned!

Bali - Komodo National Park is well worth doing and can include the Tulmben wreck in north Bali - Not a complete wreck but beautifully adorned in coral. Several days in Bali either side is a MUST too - Fantastic people and traditions with beautiful countryside.

#5 jimbo1946

jimbo1946

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • Interests:Scuba, UW photography, land photography, reading, driving my wife/dive buddy nuts!

Posted 09 June 2003 - 06:04 AM

Please see my post "A Winning Trio in Fiji" (May 29). I can't say enough good things about Crystal Divers and Wananavu Resort.
Jim Chambers
Tucker, Georgia

Nikon D300 in Aquatica housing with housed SB800 flash.