1 reply to this topic

#1 seagrant

seagrant

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts
  • Interests:http://www.oceangrant.com

Posted 05 August 2008 - 11:06 AM

2 months old, abandoned crab trap entanglement injury, rescued by fishermen and Harbor Branch Oceanographic, rehabilitated at Clearwater Marine Aquarium, prosthetic tail and now helping children with special needs -- yes Winter's Story has been on the news and is quite extraordinary.

While I wasn't there for all of it I have recorded bits that are quite poignant I must say. Check out the expressions on the children with prosthetic limbs faces near the end - it says it all and "meetings" like this are going on a regular intervals now. In fact a few photos you won't see are some I took recently of a friend of mine who's son of three with leukemia met with Winter and I have to say there wasn't a dry eye in the house.

So whatever you think of the marine mammals in captivity issues (and there are significant ones), still unfortunately scenarios like Winter's here will occur and fortunately she was rescued by Harbor Branch Oceanographic who gave her a chance at survival and to help affect a change in environmental policy (laws regarding ghost crab traps have been severely stiffened here in Florida since Winter's story broke). Also she has touched many lives now with outreach to prosthetic patients and children with life-threatening conditions. This is all done free-of-charge at the Clearwater Marine Aquarium and I have assisted in some of these session and I can tell you they are pretty emotional. Plus all four resident dolphins at the Clearwater Marine Aquarium are locally stranded dolphins who could not make it in the wild and are being ambassadors for environmental change. Best, Carol PS again this video just got posted now because my "Dad" is expecting it - got to rush out of town............. :)

Hope you find her story interesting here is the link:
Winter the Dolphin Slides/Video

http://www.oceangrant.com
Facebook-Oceangrant

Twitter-Oceangrant

d300/Subal/ULCS/Sea & Sea 110s/16;12-24;60;105vr;Tokina 10-17

#2 ScubaLuke

ScubaLuke

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 03:51 AM

Thanks for posting that Carol. That's good stuff.
Luke