#1 GotNoOcean

GotNoOcean

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Diving, photography, & grilled cheese sandwiches

Posted 09 August 2008 - 05:33 AM

Hi all,

I just got an Ike housing, 8" dome, & strobe for my Canon 30D, took it to a pool to get it wet for the first time. I assembled the system at home before going to the pool. Throughout the course of my shots during the pool session, the LCD display was VERY slow to show each new shot, on the order of 5-10 seconds. The length of the delay varied from shot to shot. I always display the histogram & info onscreen, so it's not that the shots were just drastically underexposed & not lighting up the screen. There was no leak, no internal fogging, nothing wrong with the housing. Once back out of the water & out of the housing, the camera performed absolutely normally, displaying each shot with the normal half-second delay.

Has anyone else seen this behavior? Any ideas what's going on here?

Cheers,

Christophe

#2 shark6047

shark6047

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 06:27 AM

Never had this happen. Very strange indeed. The only time my 30D is slow is when I use a cheap CF card. Hope you can figure it out, maybe swap out battery, change what is displayed, etc. Let us know how it works out.

Ed
Ed Blackshaw
My pictures

Canon 30d, Ikelite Housing w/2 DS125s
Tokina 12-24, Canon 60, and 100mm macro

#3 jcclink

jcclink

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 08:40 AM

Maybe a control on the housing is making very light contact with a camera button?
Nexus D300, 10-17mm, 12-24mm, 17-55mm, 60mm, 105mm VR
S&S YS110's & YS27's

#4 GotNoOcean

GotNoOcean

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Diving, photography, & grilled cheese sandwiches

Posted 09 August 2008 - 04:20 PM

Today I reassembled the rig at home, dropped the strobe into a sink full of water (to dissipate some heat, is it bad to fire a strobe in air? Just a thought) and fired off a bunch of shots. I think maybe I was :) inadvertently mashing a button -- I'm a noob to this setup and I did notice that the '*' button control (autofocus, the way I'm configured) has a REALLY light touch, and I find I need to consciously thumb it off of the button to be sure it's off. The LCD definitely doesn't come on if that button's held down!

I hope to dive the rig next week for more practice -- Meanwhile, I hope having this posted here helps someone else...

#5 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2855 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 06:44 PM

Try setting the image display until next shutter press ...5-10 seconds sounds long even with RAW + JPEG (other than hi speed shooting)