10 replies to this topic

#1 Cal

Cal

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 01:08 AM

Hey Wetpixelators!

Jim and I (Cal) did a night dive a few weeks ago at the Blairgowrie Marina, Victoria, Australia.

The dive was in 10 degree water. As we were gearing up I realized I'd left one glove at home. I dived regardless but during the dive I noticed that my toes in one fin were really sore. I assumed I'd tightened the fin straps too much.
I surfaced after nearly 2 hours. Back on the pier, my hand was so numb I could barely open or close my fingers and I couldn't feel it................... and then I found my glove inside my fin :drink:

During the dive I spent almost the whole time watching a pair of dumpling squid mate. It was quite amazing to watch. The male would shake the female back and forth across the sand (the male is the one behind.) then every now and then they would shoot right up into the water column. Sometimes they would fall back to the sand and other times they ascended 2-3m all while the male was still shaking away (to use a polite term.)

I didnt have a working focus light so I took my inon d2000. This strobe isnt ttl compatible but it has a focus light inbuilt that works off fiber optics. I used duck tape to cover up the flash but left a whole so the focus light could get thru. This way I was able to aim the light at my subject but not get backscatter when the flash fired. The strobe used to illuminate the subjects was the Ikelite ds-51. This method worked really well as when they did shoot up I could illuminate them enough for the camera to focus correctly (previously I had to rely on my torch which then generated back scatter.) It was still hit and miss as it was very surgy + current which made focusing very difficult. I managed about 10 frames of the dumpling squid in the water column but these were my 2 favorites!

Posted Image

Posted Image

All in all it was quite an amazing experience. I've only ever seen it twice before and I've been dreaming of these pics for a while now. I'm incredibly chuffed that I finally managed to capture them!

Hope you enjoyed them,

Cheers,

Cal

http://www.flickr.com/photos/calmero/

Edited by Cal, 11 August 2008 - 01:09 AM.

http://www.calmero.com.au/ - Creative Underwater Photography

#2 BrianM

BrianM

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Interests:Drinking, Diving and Debauchery, but not necessarily in that order

Posted 11 August 2008 - 02:00 AM

Beautifully done Cal. I'm so envious, I almost want to jump on a plane and find the dumpling squid.

btw. I've dived with a glove in my fin several times, but don't worry after a few times, you wise up and remove the glove, instead of doing the whole dive with a painful big toe.
Brian

"Downgrade, downgrade, you know it makes sense!"
Canon G9 & G7 in modified Canon WP-DC21 & WP-DC11 housings, 2 x Inon UCL-165 macro lens, no strobe, just internal flash.

Photos Profile

#3 Lndr

Lndr

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 02:51 AM

awesome !

#4 JennyHuang

JennyHuang

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 03:36 AM

:drink: :) :)

fantastic motion captured! Superb shots!
Jenny's photos
D800, D700,INON Z240,Nikkor 16-35vr, 105vr,60,10-17,70-200,24,35,85

#5 rinjani

rinjani

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 07:13 AM

Beautiful colors and action. Very nice indeed.
Jon Bertsch
Website: http://www.jonbertsch.com, http://www.thalassagraphics.com
D200...Ikelite Housing...Ike DS125...Nik 105mm|Tam 90mm, Tokina 10-17mm...Nik V

#6 Motek

Motek

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Interests:Photography & BeeR

Posted 11 August 2008 - 09:53 AM

Superb! What size were they?
Nikon D7000 Aquatica Housing Ds 125 Strobes, Ultralight arms, Lenses: 10.5 , 60, 17-70, 105 VR, subsee +10 Sola 1200
www.mark-fuller.com

#7 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 09:58 AM

Those are wonderful shots!
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#8 Graham Abbott

Graham Abbott

Manta Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  • Interests:Diving, diving, diving, marine life, critters, rare animals, new species, mountain biking, Indonesia in general, San Francisco, music and a growing interest in art of all kinds!

Posted 11 August 2008 - 11:42 AM

Hey this cool, I've found this a few times myself, even luckily managed to get a photo as well!

Check out this link there, apart from lots of Indo-Pacific cephalopods, there is also a pair of bobtail squids mating too...

Go to: Cephalopods

Edited by Graham Abbott, 11 August 2008 - 11:43 AM.

#9 bmyates

bmyates

Great White

• Team Wetpixel
  • 973 posts
  • Interests:UW Photography, motorcycles.

Posted 11 August 2008 - 02:05 PM

Fantastic captures, Cal!

I've only seen one dumpling squid (Komodo), and I can only imagine what it must be like to watch a pair of them mating - I assume they changed through all the colors of the rainbow in the process?

Good on ya for sticking to it despite the finger-sicles! :) When you think about it, it's great when an experience is so mesmerizing that "creature comforts" become irrelevant, isn't it! That only happens a handful of times in a lifetime, so congrats on this being one of them! :drink:

Bruce Yates
www.UnderwaterReflections.com
Canon 5DMkII in Aquatica, 1DsMkII in Seacam, G15 in RecSea...Inon Z240's...too many lenses
"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damned fool about it." WC Fields

#10 Cal

Cal

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 11:31 PM

Thanks guys!!!!!!!!!!!!

I really appreciate the feed back

Cal
http://www.calmero.com.au/ - Creative Underwater Photography

#11 ce4jesus

ce4jesus

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1639 posts
  • Interests:Anything Ocean (How'd I end up in Colorado?)<br /><br />A Christian Marine Conservationist?

Posted 12 August 2008 - 07:26 AM

Awesome Cal and Jim...super job on that photo...its really a crackin' shot.
Gary
Olympus E-520, TLC arms, Inon Z-240s, 50mm, 14-42mm woody's diopter