54 replies to this topic

#41 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 17 August 2008 - 11:11 PM

But your ugly mug is not worth me spending hours trying to troubleshoot. :chatterbox:

I strive to provide interesting content to the community. Check.

Bryce gets Kyte to work on Safari / Mac OS X. Check.

Eric gets Kyte to work on Firefox / Mac OS X. Check.

Drew's technological ineptitude prevents him from seeing the Kyte feed. Check.

:o
eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#42 kybrt

kybrt

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 07:35 PM

cool stuff eric.
Marv

Fidelis Ad Mortem

www.diveboatkaren.com

#43 matt215

matt215

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 05:08 PM

this may sound like a dumb question, but are six gills dangerous? i've dove with lots of sharks, but don't know much about this species. my understanding is that they are deep water sharks that usually don't come to scuba depths except in a few locations. not much is know ... maybe they are a bad assed shark ready to kick some ass. they look like big lazy sharks to me ... but i really don't know.
Canon 5D mk2, Ikelite housing, Ikelite 125 strobes, 17-40 mm 4.0 L, 100 mm, 24-150 mm L, 100-400 mm 5.6 L
Visit My Website
Visit My Website

#44 BottomTime

BottomTime

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 07:49 PM

this may sound like a dumb question, but are six gills dangerous? i've dove with lots of sharks, but don't know much about this species. my understanding is that they are deep water sharks that usually don't come to scuba depths except in a few locations. not much is know ... maybe they are a bad assed shark ready to kick some ass. they look like big lazy sharks to me ... but i really don't know.

I think any animal as large as a Six gill is potentially dangerous, but I wouldn't consider them particularly aggressive. I've dove with them a number of times off Hornby Island and have never felt threatened, but I wouldn't want to grab one by the tail to see how long I could hold on. I understand that there cousin, the seven gill, is reported to be considerably more cantankerous.

Mike

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible"

#45 davehicks

davehicks

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 07:57 PM

People bump into them frequently here in Seattle, and I have never heard of an incident.

Of course only about a dozen people world-wide are killed by any type of shark each year, so I think it is pretty safe to say that sharks are not much of threat.

#46 Simon Rogerson

Simon Rogerson

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 05:40 AM

As with most sharks, the sixgills present more of a thrill than a threat. The species is not known to attack humans, but their size (up to 15ft) and varied diet suggest that they should be treated with caution. Obviously, when you introduce bait into the equation as was the case with our dives the shark's behaviour shifts up a gear. In this case, the sharks became extremely bold and inquisitive; the larger individuals were completely unafraid of divers and tried to enter the cage. The Hydrus team has gone to extraordinary lengths to make this a safe encounter, but warns divers that in a few cases the cage has taken some punishment.

From my own experience, one of the most surprising physical aspects of this shark is its flexibility: its movement through the water is serpentine, and they have an ability to turn round 180 degrees in a speedy, fluid lunge. Tweaking their tails would be a really bad idea.

Interestingly, the related broadnose sevengill shark Notorhynchus cepedianus has been known to behave aggressively toward humans in unprovoked scenarios, and human remains have been found inside one specimen. As for the sixgills, they are iconic ambassadors for the deep water environment, and I consider it a rare privilege to have observed them in relatively shallow water.

SimonR

#47 segal3

segal3

Powerful Sea Gull

• Admin
  • 1739 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 02:07 PM

The commotion created by the divers and sharks did not go unnoticed - dungeness crab, shiner perch, ratfish, dogfish, and various flatfish all wanted a taste (literally!) of the action.

Posted Image

The crabs seemed greediest, tearing away at the bait to no end. And when not eating, they took the time to attack their reflection in the dome port :bananashark:.

Posted Image
Matt Segal - carbonos scuba

#48 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 04:22 PM

I've posted my full trip report. Enjoy. ;)

http://echeng.com/jo...sixgill-sharks/
eric cheng
www | journal | photos

#49 meister

meister

Manta Ray

• Team Wetpixel
  • 473 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 11:01 PM

;)
Canon 5D, 5D MK III, Canon 15, 17-40 & 100mm
Aquatica, Ikelight
donhughes.us

#50 bmyates

bmyates

Great White

• Team Wetpixel
  • 973 posts
  • Interests:UW Photography, motorcycles.

Posted 03 September 2008 - 08:48 AM

Very nice report, Eric! ;)

Bruce Yates
www.UnderwaterReflections.com
Canon 5DMkII in Aquatica, 1DsMkII in Seacam, G15 in RecSea...Inon Z240's...too many lenses
"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damned fool about it." WC Fields

#51 ftansari

ftansari

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 02:17 AM

hey eric, is it true you can do the same thing in Manado? I heard some of the local fishermen caught some six gill sharks and they ended up in the fish market

btw... the footage of the dogfish VS the crab is almost like finding nemo's scene don't you think ?:)

Edited by ftansari, 08 September 2008 - 02:22 AM.

#52 makomcneil

makomcneil

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 10:06 PM

Eric,
I have been with sixgills many times and have seen many photos of them, but all your photos of these amazing animals are at the top of the list! Awesome!

#53 funkyspelunker

funkyspelunker

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 01:37 PM

Sorry I missed you while you were here, Eric. Next time look me up :D

You're very lucky to have seen a SixGill. I've only ever seen two, and some divers I know have done the same sites thousands of times and still have yet to see one.

Cheers,

Calvin Tang
Northwest Dive Club

#54 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 02:02 PM

Hello, all!

The segment on Oregon Public Broadcasting has finally aired. See it here:
http://wetpixel.com/...segment-on-opb/
eric cheng
www | journal | photos

#55 Andy Morrison

Andy Morrison

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 02:20 PM

Great stuff Eric. Beautiful footage and stills. Congrats!