#1 bruceterrill

bruceterrill

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 07:31 AM

Hi guys,

I have read conflicting reports regarding the new 'G' series 60mm Micro from Nikkor.
I have two specific questions if anyone, who has one, can answer for me???

1. Is the new lens an IF (internal focus) lens?
If this lens is not IF, what is its extended length?

2. Can the new lens be used successfully with generic teleconvertors?, ie... Kenko, Tamron, etc...

Thanks for taking the time guys,

Bruce...

#2 eskasi

eskasi

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
  • Interests:Photography, diving, Formula 1

Posted 20 August 2008 - 08:06 AM

1) It is indeed IF. I have it

2) Don't know about teleconvertors. Don't have or use one.... I believe they will work though.

#3 MaLe

MaLe

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 08:56 AM

Hi Bruce,
I am a canon user but usually the the reviews from Kenrockwell are very detailed and answer most questions :-)

have a look at Kenrockwell

best regards,
Matthias

Edited by MaLe, 20 August 2008 - 10:46 AM.

Best regards,
Matthias

#4 bruceterrill

bruceterrill

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 09:10 AM

Thanks guys.

I checked the Australian Nikon web-site and it said nothing about IF in its description of the lens.
This is one of the conflicting concerns. . . .

Matthias, I regularly read Rockwell's reviews and I even checked for the 60mm micro. . . .
I must be getting old, or stupid... maybe both. hehehe.

Bruce... :bananashark:

#5 bruceterrill

bruceterrill

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 09:21 AM

Back again Folks. . . . :bananashark:

The "Paperwork" for close-up filters/diopters recommends using the Nikon 5T for lenses that are 70mm and beyond.
The same "Paperwork" suggests using the 6T for lenses 'below' the 70mm mark. . . .

Question 1. When the Nikkor 60mm 'Micro' is used on a digital camera with an APS-C sensor, it is widely accepted that
the 60mm has an equivalence of 70mm.
Therefore, do we use the 6T close-up for the 60mm lens, or do we use the 5T for the 70mm 'equivalence' lens?.?.?.?

The close-up filter is to be used for extra magnification purposes only. I realise that the 60mm 'micro' already has a very
short close focusing distance. . . . .

Thanks guys for taking the time once again. . . . .

Bruce...

#6 MaLe

MaLe

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 10:43 AM

Hi Bruce,

have a look here, you night find some details
http://www.kasson.co...information.htm

hope it helps,
Matthias
Best regards,
Matthias

#7 bruceterrill

bruceterrill

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 11:04 AM

Hi Bruce,

have a look here, you night find some details
http://www.kasson.co...information.htm

hope it helps,
Matthias

Thanks Matthias,

What a great link...woohoo...

Regards,
Bruce

#8 Claude

Claude

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 11:28 AM

here's an other cool link : http://blog.nikonian.....ter Table.pdf !
Claude
www.Aquatilia.com
Nikon D300 - Sea & Sea housing

#9 davichin

davichin

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1106 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 12:53 PM

I have both the old and new 60īs and the new one does not work with 1.4 or 2.0 sigma or kenko converters. It is IF.
D300, D7000. 10.5, 10-17, 16, 10-20, 17-70, 60, 105, 150 Hugyfots, Subtronic Novas, Seacams 350, YS250s, YS-D1s
Aqualung Team
www.davidbarrio.com

#10 Vettediver

Vettediver

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 01:57 PM

David:

I have thr old style Nikor 60mm which I use almost exclusively behind a dome port for underwater macro. Are there three good reasons why I should upgrade to the new 60mm?

Regards;
Vettediver

#11 davichin

davichin

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1106 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 03:26 PM

David:

I have thr old style Nikor 60mm which I use almost exclusively behind a dome port for underwater macro. Are there three good reasons why I should upgrade to the new 60mm?

Regards;
Vettediver

I do not think there are three good reasons :bananashark: . I always find difficult (and never do it) to shoot such a short lens behind a dome port for macro (having to get very close and scratching the dome are the main reasons). The focusing on the new one is faster and it does not grow when focusing but the image quality is more or less the same (very good on both) and you cannot use teleconverters on the new one :lol: . I would look for other areas to upgrading first (other lenses, ports, strobes etc...)
D300, D7000. 10.5, 10-17, 16, 10-20, 17-70, 60, 105, 150 Hugyfots, Subtronic Novas, Seacams 350, YS250s, YS-D1s
Aqualung Team
www.davidbarrio.com

#12 craig

craig

Full Moon Rising

• Super Mod
  • 2826 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 04:21 PM

I just tried the new 60 and it does not work with the Kenko 1.4x converter. It mates fine but AF doesn't work properly.
I love it when a plan comes together.
- Col. John "Hannibal" Smith

------
Nikon, Seatool, Nexus, Inon
My Galleries

#13 bruceterrill

bruceterrill

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 08:54 PM

I just tried the new 60 and it does not work with the Kenko 1.4x converter. It mates fine but AF doesn't work properly.

Hi Craig,
I was hoping that you would 'drop by'. . . .
How do you rate the new lens, compared to your older 'faithful' unit?
Would you consider using a close-up filter on the newer lens trying to increase magnification,
seeing that the T/C's are not compatible?
Respect/regards,
Bruce...

#14 craig

craig

Full Moon Rising

• Super Mod
  • 2826 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 10:31 PM

I'm not the one to ask on the 60. I don't generally use it (or the 105) because I use the 70-180. I have one for land and for testing. The new 60 offers full time manual focus override but I expect most will use it primarily with AF. It's an internal focus design unlike it's predecessor.

Working distance is already short so a diopter won't help as much as you might like. Personally, I think you're better off switching to the 105 than adding a 1.4x to the 60. I hate the idea of softening your images with a teleconverter except for times when you really need it. A teleconverter is good to have but I don't think it should be "plan A".
I love it when a plan comes together.
- Col. John "Hannibal" Smith

------
Nikon, Seatool, Nexus, Inon
My Galleries

#15 JackConnick

JackConnick

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1251 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, diving, women, cats

Posted 20 August 2008 - 11:17 PM

Bruce;

I have the old 60mm and use a Woody with it as a diopter. It does soften the shots, but I find shooting at around f/14-18 ok. More than that it gets too soft, less than that there's no DOF.

It's a cheap man's sort-of 105, but I find it gives me a very adaptable setup from fish portrait to macro to super macro.

Jack

Jack Connick
Optical Ocean Sales.com Sea & Sea, Olympus, Ikelite, Athena, Zen, Fix, Nauticam, Aquatica, Seacam, Gates, 10Bar, Light & Motion, iTorch/I-DAS & Fantasea Line - Cameras, Housings, Strobes, Arms, Trays & Accessories
Blog & Gallery: Optical Ocean Sales Blog
Flickr Gallerys: Optical Ocean on Flickr

#16 Viz'art

Viz'art

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1498 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 06:25 AM

I confirm having set up the AF-S 60mm with the Tamron/Kenko 2x converter and it is impossible to have a working auto focus. while on the subject the 105mm VR and the Nikon TC-20E work perfectly and no you cannot mount the TC20E on the AF-S 60mm.
Jean Bruneau / Aquatica Technical Advisor

www.vizart.ca

www.aquatica.ca

Aquatica Pro Digital housings for D-300s, AF 10-20mm, AF 10-17mm, AF 14MM, AF 17-35mm, af 17-70mm, AF 20MM, AF 60MM, AF 105MM, 2x Ikelite Ds 160, and TLC arms exclusively

#17 CeeDave

CeeDave

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Interests:Underwater, especially large animals<br />Landscape, especially wetlands

Posted 27 August 2008 - 05:50 AM

Anyone tried a Nikon AF-S TC (TC14,17,or 20 II)? The beef for a while has been no current Nikon AF (only AF-S) TC's (that, and lack of achromatic diopters).

Chris White
Subal ND70 + 2X DS125 ... mostly 10.5, 16, and 60

#18 Viz'art

Viz'art

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1498 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 05:56 AM

Hi Dave, I tried the 60 AF-S with the TC 20E and it cannot mount due to the TC20E design (rear of receiving lens must be recessed) I presume the same for the other Nikon converter, the 105 VR is OK since it has that recessed in the back
Jean Bruneau / Aquatica Technical Advisor

www.vizart.ca

www.aquatica.ca

Aquatica Pro Digital housings for D-300s, AF 10-20mm, AF 10-17mm, AF 14MM, AF 17-35mm, af 17-70mm, AF 20MM, AF 60MM, AF 105MM, 2x Ikelite Ds 160, and TLC arms exclusively

#19 bruceterrill

bruceterrill

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 09:57 PM

Hi Guys,

My origional thoughts behind the 60mm micro, the teleconverter and the close-up(internal diopter)lens combination was to try and get this combination to operate like the 105mm micro, but in a nicer, more user friendly, manner.
My biggest 'gripes' with the 105mm micro are its propensity to 'hunt' when it can't lock auto focus, and its darkness through the viewfinder.
With the 60mm micro, its auto focus is fast and accurate, and the viewfinder is nice and bright.
I was also hoping that the 60mm micro combination might offer a little extra DOF, although this is only a pipedream and not based on any calculations...
The 105mm micro is a magnificent piece of glass, I just wish that it wasn't so tempremental...I need to give it a name?
Does anyone have a good name for this "miss-behaving piece of sh#t" ???

Bruce...

Can anyone tell me how to use the color wording options at the top of the page? I used it but the colored links came up as well, and when I deleted the links, I lost the color? ;)

Edited by bruceterrill, 27 August 2008 - 10:07 PM.

#20 ATJ

ATJ

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Photograph, Marine Biology

Posted 28 August 2008 - 01:23 PM

Bruce,

Wouldn't adding a teleconverter to the 60mm make it even darker than the 105mm? Both lenses are f/2.8 and even a 1.4TC will make the 60mm into an f/4.