5 replies to this topic

#1 wesley

wesley

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Interests:travel/motorcycles/diving/photography

Posted 10 June 2003 - 03:46 PM

Are these things shipping yet? Has anyone used one?

#2 Ryan

Ryan

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1055 posts

Posted 10 June 2003 - 08:48 PM

I've heard there is a chance that a limited batch will ship next week. My guess is that new orders probably won't be filled before mid-July, and the LMI ports are at least that far away.

I think the port pricing is pretty reasonable, considering the dome is HUGE and will be glass...

You might call backscatter in Monterey, because if anybody other than Light & Motion has had a chance to dive one, it would be their staff.

founder of Reef Photo & Video
manufacturer of Zen Domes

distributor of Nauticam in the Americas

n2theblue at reefphoto.com

#3 wesley

wesley

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 11 June 2003 - 08:15 AM

thanks.

I really like the electronic strobe controls but I am wondering if it is possible to hook up the sb80dx in a subal and a ys90dx and switch from dttl to manual. Any thoughts on that? I read Alex Mustards article but not sure how it would work on the titan.

#4 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8390 posts

Posted 11 June 2003 - 10:49 AM

Read my article and you're still awake. Wesley, you know too much caffeine isn't good for you!

To fire the SB80DX in dttl you need 5 wires connecting the camera and strobe. To fire any strobe on manual (including the SB80DX and YS90dx) you need 2 (or 3) wires connected. If you connect any strobe (using 5 connectors) other than the Nikon SB**DX series to the D100 the camera will not even open its shutter!

There would be no problem firing a SB80DX and YS90dx on manual with both wired to the camera with 2 connectors. You could also just attach one strobe (2 connectors) and fire the other as a slave. You cannot connect one in dttl and fire the other as a slave because the slave will react to the preflash and miss the exposure.

It might be possible to wire the SB80DX on 5 connectors and the YS90dx on 2 so both fire when you press the shutter? But DTTL would not be accurate because the YS90dx will not fire on the preflash and so will overexpose the actual image. I have no experience of doing this - and I guess it is equally possible that the camera may refuse to fire, or the YS90dx will be triggered with the preflashes and, like the slave situation, not light the actual exposure?

I suggest using a single SB80DX for DTTL (5 wires) and then by connecting just 2 wires you could use the SB80DX and YS90dx as manual guns. But without some very complex flash synch cords (with switches on individual wires!) you would not be able to swap between these situations underwater.

Hope this is clear and doesn't confuse further!

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#5 wesley

wesley

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 11 June 2003 - 01:15 PM

no no no....thats not what I meant...I understood your article perfectly...I should have stated my question clearer....sorry....it probably was the caffeine!....what I was trying to get at was because of the electronic controls on the grip of the light and motion housing would this still work. The light and motion controls electronically change the power of the ys90dx so when you hook up the sb80 in the subal housing will these electronic controls interfere at all. I would assume the controls and electronics would only affect the ys90dx and would do nothing to the sb80.

#6 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8390 posts

Posted 11 June 2003 - 11:47 PM

Sorry Wesley!

The SB80DX will work as Nikon TTL strobe as well as a DTTL strobe. So I guess that it will work with the ROC system in the same way as other Nikon TTL strobes (e.g. SB105) will - but it would have to set it to the stanard TTL mode rather that DTTL. But that is just a guess! The SB80DX may be too sophisticated to be fooled by the TTL faking of the ROC system?

I have to say that I don't know anything about the ROC system - having never seen a Titan. But I (big) guess that it works by each setting in ROC representing a preset level of quenching of the strobe output by faking a quench signal to the existing TTL circuitry in the flash. And that this is done completely independantly of the camera and its through-the-lens sensors. If this is the case it is a way of reproducing a multi-power setting strobe - but will not actually offer any strobe metering. But I am really just guessing!

Do you (or anyone else at wetpixel) know how ROC works?

More questions than answers here! When you find out from someone who knows please post the facts!

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).