#1 danielstassen

danielstassen

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Interests:Dive, dive, and dive again.

Posted 23 August 2008 - 08:14 PM

Hi everybody,

I just bought an Ikelite DS125 which I am gonna use with a 60mm lens for macro shots. I am wondering if one strobe is enough to get good results, or should I opt for a second one?

Cheers

Daniel
Daniel Stassen

Marine Biologist, Pearl Farmer, and photographer at heart...

My Blog: www.dstassen.com

My equipment: Canon 7D, Nauticam ND7, Nauticam 180 degree viewfinder, lenses (canon) 100 mm, 60 mm, 10-22 mm. Twin Inon Z240 strobes, 3 x Sea&Sea YS110 alpha.

#2 shark6047

shark6047

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 09:29 PM

Hi everybody,

I just bought an Ikelite DS125 which I am gonna use with a 60mm lens for macro shots. I am wondering if one strobe is enough to get good results, or should I opt for a second one?

Cheers

Daniel

The more light the better in my book. I have the same lens and strobes. I've been very happy with all of them so far. I try to use the strobes at different angles/power settings for subtle shadows..
One strobe will work as well, by for my 2 cents get 2.

ed
Ed Blackshaw
My pictures

Canon 30d, Ikelite Housing w/2 DS125s
Tokina 12-24, Canon 60, and 100mm macro

#3 scorpio_fish

scorpio_fish

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1413 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 02:37 AM

I'm a firm believer in two strobes. Annoying shadows are hard to avoid with one strobe. You have to aim a single strobe much better than than two, i.e. two strobes allow a much greater margin of error for strobe aim.

It's not the amount of light, but the direction and balance.
"Me, fail English?.........Unpossible!"

#4 davehicks

davehicks

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 08:37 AM

Hi everybody,

Cheers

Daniel

If you are just starting out, then one strobe is easier to learn with. One strobe will work just fine most of the time, but two are better. I sometimes only use a single strobe if I am doing a beach dive and want to reduce clutter. It's easy to add a second strobe later on when you are ready for it.

Dave

#5 danielstassen

danielstassen

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 04:26 PM

If you are just starting out, then one strobe is easier to learn with. One strobe will work just fine most of the time, but two are better. I sometimes only use a single strobe if I am doing a beach dive and want to reduce clutter. It's easy to add a second strobe later on when you are ready for it.

Dave

So you reckon I can get great results only with one strobe (for macro)?

Cheers

Daniel
Daniel Stassen

My equipment: Canon 7D, Nauticam ND7, Nauticam 180 degree viewfinder, lenses (canon) 100 mm, 60 mm, 10-22 mm. Twin Inon Z240 strobes, 3 x Sea&Sea YS110 alpha.

#6 davehicks

davehicks

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 06:33 PM

Cheers

Daniel

Sure you can.

#7 Scuba_SI

Scuba_SI

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1061 posts
  • Interests:Owner / Manager / Handyman at NAD-Lembeh.

Posted 24 August 2008 - 09:27 PM

One strobe is fine, many people buy 2 strobes and forget that you can get equally pleasing results with just one. The image often seems more natural with just one source of light, specifically coming from above.

Our brains are used to seeing shadow coming from the sun, so we expect to see shadow below the subject - if that makes sense.

Shadow is just as important in making an image as light. One of my strobe cables has an intermittent break in it, so i get to use one strobe only from time to time during a dive ;)

In the future get a second one if you fancy it, but 2 strobes are not a necessity

Nauticam Rossa / 5Dmk3 / A7r / EM-1 / S110

http://vimeo.com/lembehmuckdiver

www.nad-lembeh.com: 2:1 diveguide ratio for June / July 2014!!

#8 samplin

samplin

Moray Eel

• Team Wetpixel
  • 91 posts
  • Interests:Mt. Biking

Posted 24 August 2008 - 10:26 PM

Hi everybody,

Cheers

Daniel

Daniel

I would stick with one strobe if you are just going to concentrate on macro for the time being. I would get another Ike sync cord, just in case.
One strobe is easy to aim and place where you want it.. It gets a little clumsy with two. If you go with two,you have the added cost of the strobe and the new sync cords to go with them.

Joe
Joe Samplin Peoria Arizona

My Smugmug

Canon S100. 2 YS-01 Fisheye FIX Housing

#9 danielstassen

danielstassen

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 10:30 PM

Daniel

I would stick with one strobe if you are just going to concentrate on macro for the time being. I would get another Ike sync cord, just in case.
One strobe is easy to aim and place where you want it.. It gets a little clumsy with two. If you go with two,you have the added cost of the strobe and the new sync cords to go with them.

Joe

Joe

When you say that you would get another Ike sync cord, just in case, you mean in case it breaks, or?

Cheers

Daniel
Daniel Stassen

#10 samplin

samplin

Moray Eel

• Team Wetpixel
  • 91 posts
  • Interests:Mt. Biking

Posted 24 August 2008 - 10:50 PM

Joe

When you say that you would get another Ike sync cord, just in case, you mean in case it breaks, or?

Cheers

Daniel

Yes.. it seems to be a weak link.. But a also bring 2 cameras.. I am lucky, I use the cameras in my business.

Joe
Joe Samplin Peoria Arizona

My Smugmug

Canon S100. 2 YS-01 Fisheye FIX Housing

#11 tubino

tubino

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Interests:Vacuum tube audio, vintage hi-fi, horn speakers, Tannoy dual concentric speakers.

Posted 25 August 2008 - 01:32 PM

I'm a firm believer in two strobes. Annoying shadows are hard to avoid with one strobe. You have to aim a single strobe much better than than two, i.e. two strobes allow a much greater margin of error for strobe aim.

It's not the amount of light, but the direction and balance.

Seconded! On my last trip I used two YS-90DX strobes for the first time (had used one YS-90 previously). That was with a 90mm, and my experience was very positive for the reasons Scorpio Fish mentions. I hate distracting shadows and half-lit faces, and bought the second to help with that -- but didn't know what to expect, really.

I found that I got consistently good results without a lot of fiddling, once I pushed them down a lot and angled them in. I used #2 as slave, so no additional cord, and because I was shooting 90mm macro, with a lot of sameness in distance from subject (close!), I often found I could shoot one setup after another with minimal monkeying. Sure, if I had somethign special or with odd requirements, I moved a strobe, but in many cases I got good shadowless even lighting without much effort.

Besides finding good starting results with a fixed setup (and tweaking as desired), I found that at or near full power, with my close distance/90mm, I could use f32 at 100 or 200 ISO. My particular lens (Tamron) truly shuts down to f32, not just 22, so DOF was gained.

If I had more powerful strobes, I suppose I would get f/22 or 32 well before full power reached on either, but then there's the advantage of faster recycle time in addition to the greater margin of error. I would find it difficult now to go back to one strobe. Not NECESSARY for macro, but so much easier! And might as well start getting used to with short arms and macro, in preparation for 2 strobes with longer arms and wide angle, I figure.
Nikon D300s, Ikelite housing + 2 Ike DS-160. Tokina 10-17 fisheye, 11-16mm, Sigma 50 macro, Nikon 105 VR, SubSee Magnifier.

#12 johnspierce

johnspierce

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 06:27 AM

Cheers

Daniel

You will do fine with Macro and one strobe. Start out with the strobe arm and strobe pulled all the way down almost on top of the housing right in the middle and pointed to a spot 6-12" in front of the lens and slightly back from the edge of the lens port to avoid flare.

Shadows, in my opinion, are actually desirable in many cases because they will tend to isolate your subject from the background and make the photo feel more three dimensional. Backscatter BTW, is not generally an issue with macro.

Two strobes are great to have, but macro is one of the areas you can certainly get some fantastic shots with one.

JP

Nikon D800 | Aquatica Housing | Inon Z-240

#13 Chuck Jensen

Chuck Jensen

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 08:57 AM

Until recently, I have used just one DS125 Strobe. I havent been on a trip yet with two as of yet, but I will be going to Bonaire in November. Im looking forward to it.
All of the images on my website Visit My Website are shot with a single strobe with exception of the pool model images.
All of my macro shots are set up with the strobe directly over sitting on the top center of the housing and angled slightly down over the port to the subject to reduce backscatter. I have attached a shot of an eel as a good macro example. If I would have used a second strobe, I would have set it up with one on both sides about 5 inches apart angled slightly in. Then, it would have been lit on both sides without the shadow on the left. The shot is nice as is but a second strobe would have eliminated the dark side.
Keep in mind though, maybe you would like the image with the dark side better anyway! It kind of adds negative space to the eel and frames him away from the coral head...The beauty is in the eye of the beholder at times.....

Cheers,
Chuck

Eel.jpg

Edited by Chuck Jensen, 01 September 2008 - 09:08 AM.

Chuck Jensen
Nikon D300 in Aquatica Housing, Duel Ikelite DS125 Strobes
Nikon 60mm, Nikon 105mm, Tokina 10-17 fisheye
web.mac.com/undersea4me