Gudge

Tiger Shark

• Team Wetpixel
  • 537 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 09:28 PM

It's here!

http://www.dpreview....canoneos50d.asp

http://www.imaging-r.../E50D/E50DA.HTM

Dimensions are almost identical to 40D, hope it will go in my 40D housing.

Edit:

I like this bit in the CNET Report (http://news.cnet.com...1.html?hhTest=1):

Built around the identical body as the 40D--the only differences are the name plate and mode-dial bezel

Edited by Gudge, 25 August 2008 - 10:41 PM.

Canon 7D, Nauticam NA-7D housing, 2 x Inon Z240, 1 x Inon S2000, Tokina 10-17 & 12-24, Sigma 17-70 Macro, Tokina 35 macro, Canon 60 & 100 macro, Tamron 2X & Kenko 1.X Teleconverters.

#2 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10647 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 10:53 PM

Gee only after 1 year, the 40D is history? I guess Canon needs to fight back from the heavy hits of the D3/300 and its own issues with the 1D series.
I guess Photokina is going have a few more surprises.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#3 maxmironov

maxmironov

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:spear fishing, skiing, kite boarding, travel, poker, ultimate frisbee

Posted 26 August 2008 - 12:07 AM

its not full frame........... ;)
i guess there's never going to be a 5d mkII

#4 Tjsnapper

Tjsnapper

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 01:18 AM

Grrr, I was just about to buy a 5d and housing and then canon go and spring this on me ;) , decisions decisions.

On a serious note though the increased dynamic range of the camera coupled with the extra pixels does make it a fantastic piece of kit. It looks like they are basically upgrading everything from their 1 series bodies (let's just hope they don't use the same focusing system!!)
No diving for 3 weeks-- work work work.
Web:www.tristanjonesphotography.com
Email:info@tristanjonesphotography.com
Blog:Visit My Blog

#5 maxmironov

maxmironov

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:spear fishing, skiing, kite boarding, travel, poker, ultimate frisbee

Posted 26 August 2008 - 01:51 AM

Grrr, I was just about to buy a 5d and housing and then canon go and spring this on me ;) , decisions decisions.

On a serious note though the increased dynamic range of the camera coupled with the extra pixels does make it a fantastic piece of kit. It looks like they are basically upgrading everything from their 1 series bodies (let's just hope they don't use the same focusing system!!)

The 5d is still a better camera. Realistically, I never shoot much above 400 ISO, and the 5d being full frame is WAY better than the 2 extra MP you get.

#6 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 03:23 AM

The 5d is still a better camera. Realistically, I never shoot much above 400 ISO, and the 5d being full frame is WAY better than the 2 extra MP you get.

It will be interesting to see if you are right. The specs would indicate that it may provide similar noise performance and dynamic range, and higher resolution than the 5D.
This is certainly a D300 killer at the price especially.
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#7 acroporas

acroporas

Beach Bum

• Critter Expert
  • 1776 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 05:42 AM

Refreshed user interface
Courtesy of DIGIC 4, the EOS 50D's interface has not only been given a stylish redesign; it's now got some very cool 'fades' between menu items

and

Building on the info panel seen on the EOS 40D; you can now control everything on the screen using the joystick controller (taking a leaf out of Olympus and Sony's book).

The way I interpret this statement, it could be a big problem for underwater photographers. If the only way to can navigate the menus with the joystick, underwater photographers will be effectively locked out of the menus. I hope they mean you can navigate the menus with the joystick in addition to the traditional way with the wheels.
William

Canon 5D Ikelite Housing and strobes
15FE | 24/2.8 | 35/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 150/2.8 macro

#8 chidiver

chidiver

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 06:36 AM

Oh please oh please oh please fit in my 40D housing which I JUST BOUGHT!

I don't know if the housing makers can keep up with a <12 month product cycle. I guess we have the D300 to blame for this, since it really stepped up the game on the crop sensor cameras.

This one seems to have blown my generation skipping strategy away, since it seems to take several leaps forward, unlike the prior upgrades.

#9 chidiver

chidiver

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 06:42 AM

New Hands on review just posted at dpreview.

http://www.dpreview....ws/canoneos50d/

Stefan

#10 Marjo

Marjo

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • Interests:Conservation photography, climate change resilience, species and habitat conservation

Posted 26 August 2008 - 12:58 PM

Ah! And just as I said I never will need or use such high ISO adn will not be upgrading for another year - I was sent on a job involving shooting seaturles (on land) at night (no flash allowed)... so now I an lusting for this one. Must find out if it will fit in 40D housing!

#11 Gudge

Gudge

Tiger Shark

• Team Wetpixel
  • 537 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 05:15 PM

The way I interpret this statement, it could be a big problem for underwater photographers. If the only way to can navigate the menus with the joystick, underwater photographers will be effectively locked out of the menus. I hope they mean you can navigate the menus with the joystick in addition to the traditional way with the wheels.

According to the DPReview hands on report you can use the multi-selector (joystick) or the front and rear dials(same as 40D):

The structure of the EOS 50D menus is essentially the same as on the predecessor but the design has been slightly freshened up and now features a neat fading effect. Other than that the menus have a tabbed multi-page layout which is consistent with their EOS-1D professional cameras. You navigate pages using the multi-selector or main dial and use the quick control dial or multi-selector to move up and down options, press SET to change.

Canon 7D, Nauticam NA-7D housing, 2 x Inon Z240, 1 x Inon S2000, Tokina 10-17 & 12-24, Sigma 17-70 Macro, Tokina 35 macro, Canon 60 & 100 macro, Tamron 2X & Kenko 1.X Teleconverters.

#12 scuba-s

scuba-s

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 06:02 PM

I just purchased a 40d and will be buying the housing soon,i was intending to buy a backup body later next year maybe,but if the 50d will fit ,it will be so cool,will be able get a backup and an upgrade at the same time and still us the same housing ,how often does that happen,when was the last time you were able to use 2 models in the same housing, we hope ;)

Edited by scuba-s, 26 August 2008 - 06:03 PM.

#13 Paul Klaver

Paul Klaver

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 01:39 AM

From www.robgalbraith.com:

The 50D's body is identical in size, shape and control layout to the EOS 40D, and nearly identical in appearance: a silver bezel atop the mode dial, a "D+" icon on the top LCD and in the viewfinder (indicating when Highlight Tone Priority is enabled), a Type C HDMI video port on the side and of course an EOS 50D name badge on the front are about the only visual differences when you glance at the camera or peer through its viewfinder.

#14 peter_lapin

peter_lapin

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 08:56 AM

I just got my 50d today, its alot nicer than the xsi I had.

anybody know if the 40d housing will work ?

Ikelite webpage said they are working on a new case for the 50d.

#15 cpadiver

cpadiver

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 09:22 AM

The 40D Ikelite case is a perfect fit for the 50D. All buttons and levers function perfectly. Strobes work fine.

The only thing I don't know is if Canon tweaked the TTL in the camera.

Ikelite may have some other issues to resolve that I am not aware of to resolve.

Edited by cpadiver, 17 October 2008 - 09:22 AM.

#16 bvanant

bvanant

Giant Squid

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1580 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 17 October 2008 - 02:28 PM

The 40D Ikelite case is a perfect fit for the 50D. All buttons and levers function perfectly. Strobes work fine.

The only thing I don't know is if Canon tweaked the TTL in the camera.

Ikelite may have some other issues to resolve that I am not aware of to resolve.

Except that you can't get live view which need the push to print button. I think that's the story
Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#17 AndreSmith

AndreSmith

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 08:03 PM

Except that you can't get live view which need the push to print button. I think that's the story
Bill

If only we could get Canon to do a simple firmware upgrade this issue could easily be overcome. All that is required is to assign a custom funtion to the SET button to start Live View. Then it will be exactly the same as the 40D. Custum function IV-3 allready gives you various options for the SET button but unfortunately not to Live View. Surely that is doable. Any chance that we could lobby Canon for a firmware update??? After all there must be thousands of divers out there that would like to use their 50Ds in 40D housings. Anybody with any influence or ideas????

#18 tomc

tomc

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 10:29 PM

I am fairly certain I can do it with my Aquatica 40D housing. I have just received my 50D and will give it a work out in Raja Amat this November. However, my experience with the 40D was that the Live View feature was not of much use for my u/w photography and I don't imagine that the 50D will be much better. :)
Canon 7D, Nauticam Housing, Z-240 strobes, a bunch of lenses
http://www.tpixs.com

#19 bvanant

bvanant

Giant Squid

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1580 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 18 October 2008 - 08:59 AM

If only we could get Canon to do a simple firmware upgrade this issue could easily be overcome. All that is required is to assign a custom funtion to the SET button to start Live View. Then it will be exactly the same as the 40D. Custum function IV-3 allready gives you various options for the SET button but unfortunately not to Live View. Surely that is doable. Any chance that we could lobby Canon for a firmware update??? After all there must be thousands of divers out there that would like to use their 50Ds in 40D housings. Anybody with any influence or ideas????

You are probably right that there are thousands of divers with 40Ds. Unfortunately Canon is interested in millions of cameras, thousands just won't get their attention.

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net