2 replies to this topic

#1 jr1010

jr1010

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 07:18 PM

Ok,
I have been playing around in the pool with my Fuji F50fd camera and housing. I have gotten
the basic understanding of using the manual white balance. I also purchased an Inon Z240
strobe and have been able to get the s-ttl functions to work. I will be diving in Bonaire in a
couple of weeks. I was wondering, if I am using the strobe on s-ttl function, would it be better to set the camera to auto white balance, or still manually white balance ?
Thank you in advance for any help.
Jay

#2 Halabriel

Halabriel

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 03:22 AM

Hi

If you are shooting RAW, then you can set "cloudy" white balance, and sort it all out in Aperture or Lightroom, however I don't think RAW file format is an option on the Finepix F50, so it is probably best to shoot WB manually. I believe that this is good practice, and it is easier eventually to get it right on the camera first, anyway.

I have in the past set WB to cloudy and left the WB alone, and balanced on a slate at arms length, but currently I WB each shot.
WB on a patch of reef near you subject, take the photo, review the picture. If not the correct colours, repeat with a different patch of reef. (By far the most fiddly, but best results for me - if the picture is too red, select a pink reef patch to WB on etc..)

You really need to search the manual for your camera as well, in order to set a user definable button to carry out WB, so that balancing is quick to do rather than flicking through fiddly menus.

Cheers

Hal

Check out these other White Balance threads
1 , 2 , 3

Edited by Halabriel, 28 August 2008 - 03:23 AM.

Canon Ixus 950is in WPDC-15 housing with Inon accessorization (D2000s strobe, UWL105 and UCL165 lenses).

#3 Freediverboy

Freediverboy

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:Freediving, photography, Polespear

Posted 06 September 2008 - 01:13 AM

Auto white balance if using a strobe. If using natural lighting manual

Ok,
I have been playing around in the pool with my Fuji F50fd camera and housing. I have gotten
the basic understanding of using the manual white balance. I also purchased an Inon Z240
strobe and have been able to get the s-ttl functions to work. I will be diving in Bonaire in a
couple of weeks. I was wondering, if I am using the strobe on s-ttl function, would it be better to set the camera to auto white balance, or still manually white balance ?
Thank you in advance for any help.
Jay