#1 bruceterrill

bruceterrill

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 12:04 AM

Hi Guys,

I believe that the S&S MkIII converter has been in the field long enough now for users to have gained some insites and opinions.
There has certainly been enough questions asked as to the performance and various strobe combinations for me to believe that there are quite a few out there in the field (water)...
So, I would respectfully ask those of you who have used this converter in the field (water) to report your findings and opinions to the forum?
I'm sure it would be of benefit for those 'others' that are considering buying one to have a good idea as to the performance/results of this vital piece of equipment??
Those that have indeed used one, could you please report on what combination of housing, camera and strobe type that you have used?
S&S suggests (rather strongly ;) ) that only their housings and strobes should be used. But as we have seen reported in these pages, these converters are known to work rather well with Inon strobes, as well as others. So, don't hold back people; accurate findings about exposure, etc., will all be very helpful...

Thanks for taking the time guys/gals...

Bruce...

#2 bruceterrill

bruceterrill

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 10:08 PM

Geez,

Lucky that I didn't 'pin' this one in "The Best of Wetpixel". . . . . ;)

Bruce...

#3 EspenRekdal

EspenRekdal

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 01:55 AM

Hi Bruce,

I use mine with a Nexus housed D2x and two inon z240 strobes. Works wery well only needs a little adjustment with very dark or light subjects like back in the old days with film.

Espen.
Nikon D4, D3s, D2x, etc etc.. Nauticam housing, Inon z240s, Subtronic Mega Cs and housed Nikon Sb900s...

#4 bruceterrill

bruceterrill

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 04:04 AM

Hi Bruce,

I use mine with a Nexus housed D2x and two inon z240 strobes. Works wery well only needs a little adjustment with very dark or light subjects like back in the old days with film.

Espen.

Hi Espen,

I'm glad that someone finally got this thread working.
It wasn't that long ago that all questions to the forum seemed to be about TTL converters. I thought a bit of a follow-up on the questions
with some field results would be a sound idea. . . . :)

When you say that you get good results with the converter and that it only needs small alterations on some specific subjects, do you make
the necessary changes with the converter, within the camera, or afterwards in the RawConverter?
This may help shorten the learning curve for someone...
Thanks for taking the time, Espen,

Bruce...

#5 Timmoranuk

Timmoranuk

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1168 posts
  • Interests:Technical diving; open circuit and rebreather, U/W photography, topside photography, travel, aviation and sailing.

Posted 04 October 2008 - 07:54 AM

I would surely like to know whether the Sea & Sea Canon TTL Converter is compatible with Z-240's. On paper I think it should as both operate the Nikonos protocol. Grateful to hear if anyone has determined this for sure.

TTL isn't that important but it will make life a lot easier when I'm breathing 21% at 55 metres...
· Canon 5D3, 7D & Nauticam housings. Sigma 15mm, Canon 16-35mm, Tokina 10-17mm, Sigma 8-16mm, Canon 10-22mm, Sigma 17-70mm, Sigma 70-200mm, Sigma 120-300mm, Canon 60mm & 100mm
· INON Z-240s & Sea & Sea YS-250 Pros
· SmallHD DP4 monitor & NA-DP4. Fisheye Aquavolt 3500s & 7000s
· Zen DP-100, DP-200 & DP-230

#6 bruceterrill

bruceterrill

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 07:13 AM

I would surely like to know whether the Sea & Sea Canon TTL Converter is compatible with Z-240's. On paper I think it should as both operate the Nikonos protocol. Grateful to hear if anyone has determined this for sure.

TTL isn't that important but it will make life a lot easier when I'm breathing 21% at 55 metres...

Hi Timmy,
I know that Stevie Williams waited a long time to get his hands on one.
I also know that he uses S&S YS250 'flame throwers', but I think that his son uses some other sort of strobe?
Might be worth while 'ringing his bell' and see what happens?
My MkIII works really well with S7&S strobes, but is bloody hopeless with the Inon Z-22 ringflash.
Funny thing is that the MkI that I had for a little while worked really well with the Inon Z-22. . . . . :)
HTH,
Bruce...

#7 Timmoranuk

Timmoranuk

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1168 posts
  • Interests:Technical diving; open circuit and rebreather, U/W photography, topside photography, travel, aviation and sailing.

Posted 05 October 2008 - 07:38 AM

Hiya 'Brucey'. I didn't think the Z-22 had a TTL capability and is a fully manual strobe. But then, maybe I don't know my posterior from my elbow... :)
· Canon 5D3, 7D & Nauticam housings. Sigma 15mm, Canon 16-35mm, Tokina 10-17mm, Sigma 8-16mm, Canon 10-22mm, Sigma 17-70mm, Sigma 70-200mm, Sigma 120-300mm, Canon 60mm & 100mm

#8 pmooney

pmooney

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1229 posts
  • Interests:Growing Grapes

Posted 05 October 2008 - 01:24 PM

My MkIII works really well with S7&S strobes, but is bloody hopeless with the Inon Z-22 ringflash.
Funny thing is that the MkI that I had for a little while worked really well with the Inon Z-22. . . . . :)
HTH,
Bruce...

Interesting to hear - what happened to your earlier unit ??? :blush: :lol:
Send m a PM.

#9 bruceterrill

bruceterrill

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 05:03 PM

Hiya 'Brucey'. I didn't think the Z-22 had a TTL capability and is a fully manual strobe. But then, maybe I don't know my posterior from my elbow... :blush:

Hi Tim,

The Inon Z-22 has the origional Nikon film TTL protocol.
Matthias' converters work very well with it.
Just strange that the Mk I worked and the Mk III doesn't. . . . :)
It was widely 'rumoured' that the S&S converters were based "heavily" on Mathias' converters,
and it makes me wonder what they have done differently in the Mk III ?

Bruce...

#10 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3021 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 05 October 2008 - 05:27 PM

Hey guys,
There are at least three different S&S mark III converters. There is a Nikon version that's been talked about on the site quite a bit, a Canon version that is supposed to work with all YS series strobes (except for the YS 250) for at least the 40D, the 5D, and the 350D(with a modified strobe connector). And the third is the unit that only works with Canon and the YS 250 flamethrowers (I like that name Bruce). I have the YS 250 unit and have been practicing in the pool but no saltwater yet. My son uses YS 110's but he's a manly man and only shoots manual. At least he did until he tried out my 250's. We now own 3 and he's saving up for the 4th.
I can't speak to the performance of the other converters but the 250 version has passed all the tests I could give it in the pool. Seems to work great. Time will tell.
Steve

The Fin Foundation
My Images on Flikr

Canon7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#11 bversteegh

bversteegh

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Interests:Diving, woodworking, computers, reading, racquetball

Posted 08 October 2008 - 08:28 PM

I have the new S&S Mark 3 TTL converter, used with a Canon 40D and dual YS110's. Works fine for macro, although it tended to underexpose at small apertures (f/18 and above) - I had to increase the exposure compensation to 1 1/2 at f/22 to get a decent exposure - even with a 100mm lens at 1:1 (so subject was around 9" from the camera). Exposure seemed fine in the f/8 to f/16 region. I was disappointed with the 110's for WA (both manual and TTL for CFWA) - seemed underpowered and less uniform coverage compared to either Ike 110's or Inon 240's (I've shot both).

One other note - the S&S y sync cord is not compatible with the TTL converter (in TTL mode). In a pinch (like a bad single cord) you can use it if you put the TTL converter in Manual mode. So if you get one, remember you need to buy individual sync cords.
Canon 40D in Sea & Sea Housing, Tokina 10-17mm Fisheye, Canon 60 & 100 mm macro, 2 Inon 240's, 2 YS110 Strobes, Canon S90 in Fix Housing
http://www.flickr.co...tos/bversteegh/

#12 Augusto_Valente

Augusto_Valente

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 09:39 AM

Hi, I bought the S&S TTL conv III one year ago and on that time I had two YS90 and the TTL was working fine.
On june of this year I bought two Z240s and the TTL did not work well with them.

My camera is the Nikon D80 on S&S housing.

regards
Augusto Valente
email: acval@attglobal.net
Home : www.pbase.com/valente_brasil
Nikon D300 - Sea & Sea Housing - Two Z240s
Nikkor AF 16mm/2.8D , Tokina AF 10-17mm , AF VR 105mm/2.8G, TC 2X Kenko pro 300, TC 1.7X Nikon

#13 Timmoranuk

Timmoranuk

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1168 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 09:57 AM

Hello Augusto,

I have a pair of Z-240s for which I have been considering a S&S TTL converter and its disappointing to hear your experience with them.

Would you be able to be a little more specific?

Are the exposures erratic or consistently under or over exposed? Grossly or just a little (correctable in RAW)? Are any scenarios more or less successful, i.e. macro, portraits, CFWA or W/A?

Thank you in advance of your kind reply. Tim

#14 EspenRekdal

EspenRekdal

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 02:47 AM

Hello Augusto,

I have a pair of Z-240s for which I have been considering a S&S TTL converter and its disappointing to hear your experience with them.

Would you be able to be a little more specific?

Are the exposures erratic or consistently under or over exposed? Grossly or just a little (correctable in RAW)? Are any scenarios more or less successful, i.e. macro, portraits, CFWA or W/A?

Thank you in advance of your kind reply. Tim

Hi all,
I have replied to this issue before on several occasions. I don't understand why, but in my limited experience with D200 cameras and the Sea&sea converter w z240, they will not work togeather. However, my D2x which is not supposed to work with the converter works flawlessly. Go figure. Tim, I would try and borrow one for a test run before I'd buy. Based on other peoples accounts it could very well be different from camera to camera. There are people on the list that have working setups.

Augusto, I'm sorry to hear you have problems with your converter and camera. Did you remeber to engage the Nikon protocol button on your strobes? Set to auto?

Best wishes,
Espen.
Nikon D4, D3s, D2x, etc etc.. Nauticam housing, Inon z240s, Subtronic Mega Cs and housed Nikon Sb900s...

#15 cdascher

cdascher

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 03:39 PM

Anyone tried the Canon TTL III converter with DS-125 Ikelites?

Chris
Chris Dascher
Aquatica 5DMII, Dual Inon Z220 strobes, dual Ikelite DS125s
www.cdascher.com

#16 The Octopus

The Octopus

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 05:34 AM

I use the sea and sea ttl -III with my D300 and dual inon z240's. works fairly well most shots require little to no exposure correction. Once in a while exposure is off.
D300, Aquatica Housing, Dual Inon z240 strobes, Lenses: tokina 10-17, tokina 11-16, Nikon 12-24, nikon 17-55, nikon 60, nikon 105, nikon 70-200

#17 Augusto_Valente

Augusto_Valente

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 01:10 PM

Hi all,
I have replied to this issue before on several occasions. I don't understand why, but in my limited experience with D200 cameras and the Sea&sea converter w z240, they will not work togeather. However, my D2x which is not supposed to work with the converter works flawlessly. Go figure. Tim, I would try and borrow one for a test run before I'd buy. Based on other peoples accounts it could very well be different from camera to camera. There are people on the list that have working setups.

Augusto, I'm sorry to hear you have problems with your converter and camera. Did you remeber to engage the Nikon protocol button on your strobes? Set to auto?

Best wishes,
Espen.

Hi Espen.

This protocol button is to be pushed , isn't it? I usually set them on S-ttl or slow ttl. Should I put it on auto?

regards

Augusto
Augusto Valente
email: acval@attglobal.net
Home : www.pbase.com/valente_brasil
Nikon D300 - Sea & Sea Housing - Two Z240s
Nikkor AF 16mm/2.8D , Tokina AF 10-17mm , AF VR 105mm/2.8G, TC 2X Kenko pro 300, TC 1.7X Nikon