• Please log in to reply
175 replies to this topic

#21 CamDiver

CamDiver

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1103 posts
  • Interests:Filming and documentary production. Beach and surf photography. Family time, isolated beaches and walking the dog.

Posted 27 February 2008 - 12:43 PM

To clarify: I stacked Century Achromatic Diopters +3.5 & +2 behind a gates Z1 Housing FLAT PORT.

Cheers,
Mark.

The Sharks of the Forgotten Islands

- A Natural History Documentary -

#22 BlueReef

BlueReef

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 11:45 AM

I know I read it correctly, but.... $7k for the housing????!?!!!! Holy cow! I knew it'd be pricey, but that...well... to be honest I think is outrageous.

Just think of all the development of all the components in a camera, and a housing is knocked out in a matter of a few months for the same price! Something is wrong there. Perhaps no one actually complains to them though? We'll see.

#23 ronscuba

ronscuba

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 11:51 AM

Welcome to the world of UW video. It's fairly common for housings to cost as much if not more than the camcorder.

#24 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10642 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 12:32 PM

Bluereef
Housing manufacturers are out to make money, first and foremost. They also have to invest in building the housings and estimating what the demand is. So if they don't think there's going to be huge demand (and there usually isn't for a $6k camera) then they will adjust production accordingly and price will be higher. Look at the FX7/V1 housing and compare the price to the FX1/Z1 housing. Same price, because the demand for the Z1/FX1 was higher being the first 3XSensor HD camcorder.
Look at the EX1. There is no lower model like a FX1/7 so it's limited to the $6k market people. How much demand do you think is around?

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#25 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 07 March 2008 - 03:29 PM

Mmmmm.....I hope this does not mean we have to sell the Vstrom :)

Posted Image
Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#26 BlueReef

BlueReef

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 10:58 PM

Yeah - I do understand the aspects of supply and demand and production costs etc, I never expected them to be cheap, but I still don't see the justification of SUCH a high price. ok I couldn't make one myself, but the machines are already in place, you just need the right mouldings/jigs etc., and I think 40-50% could probably be taken off that price.
Also having it a little cheaper opens up the market place even more, from all the talk on here, it seems their high price is the limiting factor no the number of buyers.

Admittedly though there has been talk of waiting for the PMW700 camera which is a bit of a different shape so perhaps there'll be more housings made for this one and hence cheaper (less risk for the manufaturer due to demand). We'll see. Anyway it gives me a bit longer to save my pennies!
I don't know if I'd part with that beast though wagsy;)

#27 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10642 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 11:20 PM

Well it's business. If the housing doesn't sell, they'll lower the price to move it. They also have a very specific time window to do it in. Probably 1.5-2 years before a model is defunct.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#28 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1983 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 04:56 AM

What's the PMW700?

#29 BlueReef

BlueReef

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 05:44 AM

What's the PMW700?

hehe - sorry, meant the Sony PDW700

#30 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10642 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 11:01 AM

The PDW-700 is an ENG style using the new 50mbps XDCAM HD codec using 2/3" CCDs. It'll be MUCH bigger than the EX camcorder format. There will definitely be fewer housings for that camera.

Drew

#31 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1983 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 11:03 AM

That's a much more expensive camera than the EX1 isn't it? I just read a reference to £22k UK price.

#32 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10642 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 11:09 AM

What are you doing up so late Nick? :rolleyes:
It's an ENG camera Nick I believe the most expensive XDCAM series now.

Drew

#33 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1983 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 11:31 PM

Just putting a ballpark price together to get a rig in the water. Prices are from B&H/Gates:

PMW-EX1: $6,449
Gates EX1 Housing: $7,000
Gates SWP44C port: $4,479 (I guess new version may be more)
Gates EM43 monitor: $2,325

Total: $20,353

Plus memory cards, shipping, taxes, flat port, diopters, extra batteries etc.. Plus lights.

#34 CamDiver

CamDiver

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1103 posts
  • Interests:Filming and documentary production. Beach and surf photography. Family time, isolated beaches and walking the dog.

Posted 16 March 2008 - 12:49 AM

Go for it Nick, you know you want to !! ??

The Sharks of the Forgotten Islands

- A Natural History Documentary -

#35 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 16 March 2008 - 01:14 AM

Nick I would wait and see what others come out with....I am....
I was pretty impressed with the footage coming out of the FX1 with the internal wide angle on.
It had much more zoom range as well for some reason.
Put a dome port on the end, have access to a few WB presets and away you go. :P
Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#36 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 01:44 AM

Oh come on... whats £11,000... its a drop in the broadcast ocean of life...

The results would speak for themselves... ;)

FX1...HDV...HDV....HDV.....HDV.... :)

I'm angry with myself as I was going to buy my EX1 today but am too hungover to drive to the shop... :D :P :D

So tomorrow will be decision day....

EX1 HDCAM (EX)...HDCAM (EX)...HDCAM (EX).. Sorry should that be XDCAM EX... whatever still better.

The footage I saw on the EX1 was amazing... the macro capability was fantastic... Crisp picture...

Go on Nick you know you want to... B)

Dive safe

DeanB
Facebook me ;)
NOW ON SKYPE !!! ... deanb69
www.waterwolf-productions.co.uk

#37 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1983 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 01:53 AM

I'm trying to get someone else to pay for it! Or should I say someone else might be trying to get someone else to pay for it.

If it's down to me I'm well and truly going to wear my Z1 and Bluefin out, same as I did with my VX2000/Gates, now that I finally have a really stable workflow.

Dean, tell us more about the macro. Was it underwater or topside? What was in front of the standard lens?

#38 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 02:46 AM

It was the standard lens...

The bloke in the shop put his Rolex (obviously makes to much money) on a shelf and held the EX a short distance away...maybe 12".. then hit macro... On the big 50" screen the minute digits were pin sharp and massive.. He could have done a commercial for Rolex... Looked amazing :P

Dive safe

DeanB
Facebook me ;)
NOW ON SKYPE !!! ... deanb69
www.waterwolf-productions.co.uk

#39 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1983 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 03:02 AM

So we can forget about diopters then?

#40 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10642 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 03:50 AM

Nick
don't forget RAID 10 array for clip backup or BluRay Disc Burner and plenty of Blu-Ray discs. Oh and a new computer to edit :P
And no you cannot for get about diopters. The FD of the EX1 is 50mm at full wide and 735mm full zoom with Macro on. It's a great lens and it does nice CU but you still need a diopter for pygmys and such.

Drew