9 replies to this topic

#1 diver dave1

diver dave1

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts
  • Interests:chess, u/w photography

Posted 05 September 2008 - 07:34 AM

I have seen considerable discussion on this website about 'losing' equipment in San Juan, PR airport transfers.
I am wondering if there is any connection with that discussion and the 2 Inon Z-240's that are 'nearly new' and for sale on ebay. Item 280263163358 on ebay is one of them. Searching for INON on ebay will show them.
The person doing the selling only copied and pasted website info for the description, which could imply knowing little about them.
The seller is only using numbers and is quite new to ebay.

Anyone care to share comments about their opinion of buying a Z-240 from that location?

I am interested in buying another Z-240 but certainly am not interested in supporting a certain black market segment.

dave

Nauticam D7000, Inon Z-240's, 60 micro, 105 micro, Tokina 10-17

www.shiningseastudio.com

#2 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10640 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 07:50 AM

Well I've started a thread for people who have had stuff stolen to list their items and serials.
http://wetpixel.com/...showtopic=25553
It's up to people to circulate what's been stolen and help stop the cycle.

If you are worried, ask for the serials and ask Inon if they are reported as stolen.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#3 diver dave1

diver dave1

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts
  • Interests:chess, u/w photography

Posted 05 September 2008 - 12:26 PM

Well I've started a thread for people who have had stuff stolen to list their items and serials.
It's up to people to circulate what's been stolen and help stop the cycle.

If you are worried, ask for the serials and ask Inon if they are reported as stolen.

Thanks for the serial number suggestion. I will ask about that. I generally will not buy expensive gear from someone on ebay with few previous entries, which applies to this offering.

Nauticam D7000, Inon Z-240's, 60 micro, 105 micro, Tokina 10-17

www.shiningseastudio.com

#4 underwatercolours

underwatercolours

Manta Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • Interests:skinny dipping, sailing, snow skiing, water skiing, art galleries, classic cars, flying

Posted 05 September 2008 - 02:53 PM

The guy has been an ebay member since July 08, has only four feedbacks, two for toys he bought under $10 each. He has never sold anything before, and is outside of the country. I would not go near that one even if he could provide a serial number.

#5 sgietler

sgietler

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 03:26 PM

the person is selling other scuba gear too (S&S strobe, dive light), all with the same description:

"perfect conditions,almost un-used....paypal only plase..... "

It looks very very suspicious, I wonder how we could get the police to look into this. The seller clearly knows nothing about this equipment.

scott

#6 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10640 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 07:34 PM

Well he knows enough to set the selling prices at levels that sound reasonable. I do suggest we do not overreact as it may be just some guy who spent too much money on gear and happens to live in PR. Serials are always good to start with.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#7 underwatercolours

underwatercolours

Manta Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • Interests:skinny dipping, sailing, snow skiing, water skiing, art galleries, classic cars, flying

Posted 06 September 2008 - 06:13 AM

I sent him a message asking for a serial number, but...no reply.

#8 scott_nielsen

scott_nielsen

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Interests:Love to dive and travel. Now, I'm trying uw photography, have a lot to learn.

Posted 07 September 2008 - 05:56 AM

OK, well now I see the importance of writing all of this stuff down, I will need it for insurance anyway. As for ebay, they are very hard to deal with even when you truly suspect someone is fraudulent. We are working with them right now with our retail store and believe me, even the detective is having a really hard time with them. Scott

Edited by scott_nielsen, 07 September 2008 - 05:56 AM.

Camera, Nikon D300, Seatool housing, Inon Strobes.
One World, One Ocean, Let's Protect It!

#9 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10640 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 10:12 AM

May I suggest that people NOT involved in the transaction NOT to get involved in this matter. First of all, an innocent seller may be getting harassed for selling stuff on ebay. Secondly, if there is a FBI investigation ongoing and this is a fraudulent seller, all these inquiries will do is alert this person and they will disappear. This WILL hamper any investigation that is ongoing.
So my suggestion is for those who have lost any equipment to list their serials in the thread I've given for those who buy 2nd hand stuff online:
Also send your list of lost equipment to TSA and the airline. That is the way to start claims. If you find your own items on ebay, report it to ebay under the fraud section. It'd help if you don't just report anyone you "suspect" of selling stolen goods because they live in SJ, PR. Otherwise, that'd be profiling. :)

Drew

#10 underwatercolours

underwatercolours

Manta Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 01:20 PM

Sure, this guy may be an innocent seller, and anyone can choose to bid or not bid. I "profile" anybody and everybody I buy from on ebay. Especially since were not talking about small change here. Since I emailed him and very nicely asked him for a serial number, and he never emailed me back, that tells me to steer clear. I'd love to pick up a couple of INON strobes for $300 each, but the profile of someone I would buy from just isn't there. Too many red flags!

I think a forum like this is the perfect place to bring this to the attention of our fellow photographers. Not everyone is experienced in buying on ebay and not everyone is aware of the things that have gone on at the Puerto Rico airports. And I seriously doubt we're the only ones talking about it.