Photo
- - - - -

What to do when you find someones image?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Lndr

Lndr

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 04:56 PM

I have seen a few images lately on flickr that have been suspect. This one has a copyright on it though http://www.flickr.co...dsoff/98665050/

Wondering what is the etiquette?? I have had images taken and I would be unhappy to have that happen to my image ... but this photographer has stuff for download and the image says it came from the www.divegallery.com website ???

Curious to know what people think?

Maybe Jeff is a member here?

#2 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3066 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 08 September 2008 - 09:52 PM

Here is what is posted on the home page of the web site;

"1997-2005 Jeffrey N. Jeffords. Please remember that all of the material on this Web site is copyrighted, and may not be used in any form, even on the Internet, without a licensing agreement. Exception: teachers and educators using the material in a classroom setting, students using this material for school assignments; or anyone for personal, noncommmercial use such as screen savers. Unauthorized usage is a violation of the Federal Copyright Law. E-mail me for permission to use at this address:seaslugs@hotmail.com

All photographs appearing in this site are the property of Jeffrey N. Jeffords and are protected under United States and international copyright laws. The photographs may not be reproduced for commercial purposes, displayed on the internet, or manipulated without the written permission of the copyright owner.

Seems pretty clear to me, I'll send Jeff a note and let him know. Good catch!
Steve

The Fin Foundation
HSWImages.com        My Images on Flikr

Canon 5D Mk III, 7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#3 Cerianthus

Cerianthus

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 08:33 AM

But the description of the pic also reads:

Show and Tell: This is a Leafy Sea Dragon. I found it on this site, were they have many downloadable pictures!
www.divegallery.com/Leafy_Sea_Dragon.htm

He would still need permission tough.....
Gerard

My photo's on flickr
Crop the world ! (Using Canon 20D, 60mm, 100mm, 10-17mm FE, Ikelite)

#4 jeremypayne

jeremypayne

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1199 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 09:12 AM

But the description of the pic also reads:

Show and Tell: This is a Leafy Sea Dragon. I found it on this site, were they have many downloadable pictures!
www.divegallery.com/Leafy_Sea_Dragon.htm

He would still need permission tough.....

I'm not so sure. The owner makes exceptions to the requirement for a license:

" ... or anyone for personal, noncommmercial use such as screen savers ..."

I think sticking it on your flickr site counts as a personal, non-commercial use. Not so clear cut ...
Jeremy Payne
My Website

#5 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3066 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 09 September 2008 - 09:04 PM

Just for the record here is Jeff's response to my note;

Thanks for the note -- it is common for me to grant permission to those who wish to host a few of my pics as long as credit is given, the idea being I don't want my images posted in such a way that others may think they're public domain.

I don't specifically remember giving permission to the flickr site
http://www.flickr.com/photos/handsoff/98665050/ but I may have (I'd have to do a detailed check of my email records), and anyway since there's a link and credit I don't really have a problem with it. It actually increases your site's standing in search engines to have referring sites.

The most outrageous instance of copyright violation I can think of is several stamps supposedly from Madagascar that have my images on them. They are actually up for sale at several stamp sites. I don't know if they are official stamps from Madagascar or if these fakes are a gimmick designed for stamp collectors to part with their money.

Regards and thanks for your kind consideration,

Jeff

Good catch Leandr,
Steve

The Fin Foundation
HSWImages.com        My Images on Flikr

Canon 5D Mk III, 7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#6 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2856 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 04:49 AM

[/i]Good catch Leandr, [i]

It was - having the extra sets of eyes around here is a good thing...

#7 Lndr

Lndr

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 02:37 PM

thanks Steve for posting Jeff's response :uwphotog:

I didn't want to be a bull at a gate, simply because there are so many shades of grey to what photographers find acceptable, and also many instances where they will give conditional permission to get their images out there. However, I was also thinking I would want to know if it were mine!

cheers
Leander

#8 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2856 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 02:58 PM

thanks Steve for posting Jeff's response :uwphotog:

I didn't want to be a bull at a gate, simply because there are so many shades of grey to what photographers find acceptable, and also many instances where they will give conditional permission to get their images out there. However, I was also thinking I would want to know if it were mine!

cheers
Leander

Think it was fine, Jeff's took it in the spirit intended, Steve stepped in to make sure he knew about it, and I think we all agree if someone took something of ours we would like to know. So good job :)