• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Cornforth Images

Cornforth Images

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 07:57 AM

I am going to Raja Ampat in November for 3 weeks of diving. I am very comfortable shooting ambient light and macro subjects, but have very little experience shooting wide angle using strobes. I'm considering buying the Ikelite DS160 or the larger DS200. Does anyone have any suggestions about which strobe is better for shooting coral scenes using strobes with ambient light above? I'm leaning towards the DS160s based on travel size and price, but I want to make sure that they will work for what I want to do. Thanks.
Jon Cornforth
Seattle, WA, USA
www.cornforthimages.com

Canon 5D, Ikelite housing, 17-40mm f4 & 100mm f2.8 macro lenses, UCS arms, Ikelite DS 160 & DS 51 strobes

#2 khathlan

khathlan

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 12:24 PM

I think that the DS125 should be sufficient given that there is good sunlight in your destination. Using the diffuser will cover most typical reef shots within 1.5-2 meters

#3 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 12:29 PM

I have and use both. I love both of them.

If I'm not traveling then I much prefer the DS200's. For travel the 125's are smaller, lighter, and easier to charge (just pop the back off and you are good to go). On the other hand, using the 125's you have to have MUCH better discipline about aiming them. The 200's are super easy to shoot w/ what seems like a lot wider coverage to me.

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#4 davephdv

davephdv

Doc Eyeballs

• Senior Moderator
  • 2297 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 05:34 PM

I used the old SS 200 with my film camera. Great strobe, but too large and heavy. It was a happy day when I turned them in for the 125. An excellent strobe. Recently got a 160. For such apparently minor changes I was surprised how much better I liked the 160. Power almost as good as the 200 and a lot smaller and lighter. LED aiming light and multiple power settings.

You can use the 160 for wide angle and macro. The 200 is too larger for a lot of macro. You would have to buy a set of DS51s to compliment the 200s.
Dave Burroughs, Nikon D300, D2X, Subal housing, DS160 strobes

Life is a beach and then you dive.

My Website