142 replies to this topic

#41 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10635 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 08:02 AM

Jean
Please remember for this housing, you need to add the hydrophone now ;)

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#42 craig

craig

Full Moon Rising

• Super Mod
  • 2826 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 06:54 PM

For autofocus fans, this comment may be interesting.
I love it when a plan comes together.
- Col. John "Hannibal" Smith

------
Nikon, Seatool, Nexus, Inon
My Galleries

#43 scaper

scaper

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 12:28 PM

I've never had a housing for a DSLR, and I searched for some info with no luck. My question is, do any of the housing/port combinations for the "old" 5D accomodate a 17-40 F4/L? Do you think new housings would work with this lens and the 5D MK II?

Thanks,

Pat

#44 Viz'art

Viz'art

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1496 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 12:34 PM

The 17-40mm is a popular workhorse and is supported by most manufacturer, its is not a problem child as some other lenses can be (no oversized zoom barrel, bulbous front element or weird AF/MF selector switch location etc.) so it should be supported by whatever brand you would be looking into.
Jean Bruneau / Aquatica Technical Advisor

www.vizart.ca

www.aquatica.ca

Aquatica Pro Digital housings for D-300s, AF 10-20mm, AF 10-17mm, AF 14MM, AF 17-35mm, af 17-70mm, AF 20MM, AF 60MM, AF 105MM, 2x Ikelite Ds 160, and TLC arms exclusively

#45 Bent C

Bent C

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 12:47 PM

I've never had a housing for a DSLR, and I searched for some info with no luck. My question is, do any of the housing/port combinations for the "old" 5D accomodate a 17-40 F4/L? Do you think new housings would work with this lens and the 5D MK II?

Thanks,

Pat

The 17-40 will most certainly be accomodated by most housings accomodating Canon. With regard to housing the 5DMII in old 5D housings, I guess that remains to be seen. The overlay in the first page of this thread shows problems, however, the overlay as it is shown seem to be somewhat unscaled, as the measurements of the new and old 5D are more or less similar according to specs (1 mm difference in one dimension), while the overlay shown is far from similar in size. However, as the buttons have somewhat different positions on the MII, you will probably loose at least some control. But, as said, I believe it remains to be seen just which controls will be available and which will not. Given the C1-3 options as well as auto iso, I guess that some loss of control can be worked around if programs can be changed during dives.

Regards

Bent
Bent Christensen
Nauticam and Canon 7D
http://bentmedia.me

#46 scaper

scaper

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 01:03 PM

The 17-40 will most certainly be accomodated by most housings accomodating Canon. With regard to housing the 5DMII in old 5D housings, I guess that remains to be seen. The overlay in the first page of this thread shows problems, however, the overlay as it is shown seem to be somewhat unscaled, as the measurements of the new and old 5D are more or less similar according to specs (1 mm difference in one dimension), while the overlay shown is far from similar in size. However, as the buttons have somewhat different positions on the MII, you will probably loose at least some control. But, as said, I believe it remains to be seen just which controls will be available and which will not. Given the C1-3 options as well as auto iso, I guess that some loss of control can be worked around if programs can be changed during dives.

Regards

Bent

Hey, thanks!

Pat

#47 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10635 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 06:29 AM

Here are some samples of the 5DMkII in action by Phil Askey. The high ISO samples are at the back.

http://www.dpreview....5dmkii_preview/

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#48 craig

craig

Full Moon Rising

• Super Mod
  • 2826 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 06:39 AM

"All samples are provided as JPEG straight from the camera (we don't currently have any RAW conversion software which supports the EOS 5D Mark II)."

------
My Galleries

#49 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10635 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 06:51 AM

That's to be expected... I guess DPP is due for another update.

Drew

#50 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 06:52 AM

OK - so will the images from the new camera look better than the 1DsIII images? That is the question.

I remember when the 5D came out the images looked MILES better than the 1DsmkII. So I bought a 5D and housed it. However, after using the 1 series bodies for a while I ended up giving up on the 5D as my main camera and going back to the 1 series. One of the main reasons for me was the AF.

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#51 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 06:58 AM

A very unscientific comparison of the D700 (RAW) and the 5DMkII (JPEG) at 6400 here.
http://www.flickr.co...57607357934354/
If this is really the case, then I think Canon have discarded the high ISO advantage in favor of MP
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#52 craig

craig

Full Moon Rising

• Super Mod
  • 2826 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 07:13 AM

"JPEG straight from the camera" is really an oxymoron when you are talking about camera testing. If you want JPEG then it's important, but many people will believe these images aren't cooked when they are. These images will be useful in evaluating the in-camera JPEG capability and the defaults of the 5D2. Certainly they say something, but not what I really want to see.

I found this piece of fanboy writing particularly interesting, especially considering how people went for it. If this were true and I were an owner of a 1Ds3 less than one year old, I would expect Canon to recall and fix my camera. 2.5 stops improvement using the same sensor? How bad could those 1Ds engineers be?

The dpreview buzz is that Canon substantially lightened the bayer filter dyes to improve the high ISO performance. How they can do that without sacrificing base ISO I don't understand, but the clear ramification is poorer color differentiation. I would want to see evidence of it's color capabilities under controlled circumstances.

------
My Galleries

#53 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10635 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 07:49 AM

Well I don't really care if it's better or worse than the 1DsMkIII. I want it for the 1080p and size. A dual platform underwater camera of good quality (no I don't consider the VGA video from the G9 good ;)) is probably the most exciting thing since digital came out. It'll be interesting to see how housing manufacturers implement video in their housing designs. Suddenly they have to think of hydrophones and handling balance.
For topside, it's so much more discrete than the 1D series and does video. Throw in a leica 50mm noctilux and it's a great camera. Hell I'll settle for a Planar T*.

Drew

#54 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 08:32 AM

Throw in a leica 50mm noctilux and it's a great camera.

Only $6500 more! ;)
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#55 Andy Morrison

Andy Morrison

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 02:33 PM

Here an interesting item about the video capabilities.

#56 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 02:46 PM

Amazing times we live in; think about it, these are just the first in the series of new cameras that create a new paradigm.

#57 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10635 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 04:04 PM

If this were true and I were an owner of a 1Ds3 less than one year old, I would expect Canon to recall and fix my camera. 2.5 stops improvement using the same sensor? How bad could those 1Ds engineers be?

Well Craig, I think Canon got bashed with the 1D series issues and lost lots of ground to competitors. They needed some super hyped up product and the 5D2 on steroids seemed to fit that mold.
I doubt Canon will ever publicly announce a goodwill trade in for the 1D series. There was nothing wrong with the camera before the 5D2 (ok the AF and VF issues MUST be dealt with). The 5D2 is just an improvement. Furthermore it'd set a precedent and expectations for the future, something no company can afford, especially since we all know how fast the industry moves in terms of technology (when manufacturers are forced to outduel each other).
The 1D series is not just for the performance of the sensor but the AF :snicker: and ruggedness.

Only $6500 more! ;)

Yes but that lens will sit in your collection and you can pass it on to your grandkids. It's not a toy. The last edition of the Noctilux 50/1.0 quickly became a collector's item too. Woodbox and everything ( which sorta makes me think Leica really charges too much). Someone once said: an object of desire has no price. :)

I like Vince but he's so tied to the hip with Canon that you have to consider how much of that is marketing hype. Right now, we have no idea how the CMOS sensor will react to normal movement (all the demo clips are locked tripod shots). Consider the SLR form factor, it is not made for keeping steady for 30fps because all the weight is on the arms and even Popeye gets tired. Also consider it's auto everything, probably to keep it from devouring the 1D series. Serious shooters will have to wait for the 1D series rendition of this. Seeing how the 1DmkIII is due to get it's N update soon (Apr is the 2nd year mark I believe), let's not all go googoogaga just yet. I admit I like the 5D2 a lot because of the size!
Plus a pet peeve, I hope the rush of photographers becoming videographers will quickly learn the vernacular of moving pictures. Vince calls the video from the 5D2 RAW, and it's H.264 compressed clips, not RAW. Only RAW camera out there now is the Red One, and it's compressed RAW.

Amazing times we live in; think about it, these are just the first in the series of new cameras that create a new paradigm.

Yes, Q is now working on the phaser 'canon' as we speak. :)

Drew

#58 Andy Morrison

Andy Morrison

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 04:32 PM

Which is why I posted this link. I don't get "googoogaga" over just about anything, let alone a camera. I'm neither a fan nor detractor of Vince. Just posted this because I thought others would be interested. Evolving technology is exciting. As someone who is often "forced" to shoot video and still on the same assignment, I see the pluses and minuses of having a camera capable of shooting both still and video. Some days though I'd like to go back to shooting tri-x.

#59 craig

craig

Full Moon Rising

• Super Mod
  • 2826 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 04:36 PM

Well Craig, I think Canon got bashed with the 1D series issues and lost lots of ground to competitors. They needed some super hyped up product and the 5D2 on steroids seemed to fit that mold.
I doubt Canon will ever publicly announce a goodwill trade in for the 1D series. ...

I think I may have been misunderstood. What I mean is that I don't believe that the 5D2 is 2.5 stops improved over the 1Ds3. The person claiming that is a Canon employee being paid to hype the product. They are doing the same with the 50D. The story is that the 5D2 sensor is the same as the 1Ds3 sensor with the exception of the color filters. If the light sensitivity is that much improved, then either color performance will suffer or the entire industry has been screwing up all this time (and base ISO couldn't remain at 100). More likely, Canon has made NR improvements in its JPEG engine (which is the new generation). If that's the case then the 5D2 isn't that greatly improved over the 1Ds3. The 1Ds3 is a current benchmark, after all, and it is certainly the best that Canon could make just a short time ago.

I'd also point out that the 5D2 has less than 1 "stops worth" of resolution over the D700 so it's noise disadvantage, all else equal, should only be that much. It's well within reason that Canon could have set and met an engineering goal to meet or exceed the ISO performance of the D3/D700. It's a year older design and the goal is far less ambitious at 1 stop than at the 2.5 that Westfall claims. A combination of NR improvements and lightened color filters could more reasonably achieve that.

I wasn't aware that Canon was being criticized for the 1Ds3. I thought it was only the 1D3 that got the complaints.

You can definitely see the effects of NR in the high ISO shots on dpreview. I think they look pretty good but some people are bashing them. I also see evidence of shooter error in some of the images.

------
My Galleries

#60 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 06:09 PM

Yes, Q is now working on the phaser 'canon' as we speak. :)

Think I'll be able to convert my D200 housing? ;)