Canon EOS 5D Mark II

• Please log in to reply
142 replies to this topic

#141 photovan

photovan

Great White

• 979 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 02:04 PM

Anybody with this camera had any issues like those described here?
http://www.neutralda...eos-5d-mark-ii/

Canon have always been slack with weather sealing in their amateur cameras, the 5dmkii is no different.

I haven't read the probs in the neutralday post, but my biggest concern is the sealing on both the battery compartment door and on the CF card compartment door. I have had water in the battery compartment already, from a very small splash from underneath while standing ankle-deep in the surf; I have also had the battery compartment door open frm pressure applied by my palm while shooting hand-held low to the ground (the battery ended up in the mud); and I worry about the sealing on the CF Card door.

Darren Jew  |  Australia  |  darrenjew.com  |  fotofrenzy.com.au

Canon EOS1Dx   |   EOSM   |   Nauticam  |   Inon Z240

#142 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4570 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 02:47 PM

Canon have always been slack with weather sealing in their amateur cameras, the 5dmkii is no different.

I haven't read the probs in the neutralday post, but my biggest concern is the sealing on both the battery compartment door and on the CF card compartment door. I have had water in the battery compartment already, from a very small splash from underneath while standing ankle-deep in the surf; I have also had the battery compartment door open frm pressure applied by my palm while shooting hand-held low to the ground (the battery ended up in the mud); and I worry about the sealing on the CF Card door.

Looking at my D700, I'm not sure how well these 2 doors would resist water ingress with splashing either, though I have been out on the jetski with some splashes without problems. The problems in the neutralday post were from Reichman of Luminous Landscape, where 6 out of 26 5DMkII's on board his Antarctic Trip died, apparently due to humidity related issues. (No other cameras had the problem)
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#143 photovan

photovan

Great White

• 979 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 04:40 PM

...6 out of 26 5DMkII's on board his Antarctic Trip died, apparently due to humidity related issues. (No other cameras had the problem)...

My experience photo guiding in the Antarctic is that some people understand/are more experienced at managing the from-cabin-to-deck scenario than others. :)

Maybe that could read "6 out of 26 5dmkii photographers killed their cameras due to humidity related issues".

And maybe there were only 3 other cameras on board, so the alternative sample size was too small to compare.... :D

Darren Jew  |  Australia  |  darrenjew.com  |  fotofrenzy.com.au

Canon EOS1Dx   |   EOSM   |   Nauticam  |   Inon Z240