17 replies to this topic

#1 Tonym

Tonym

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 07:58 AM

Deb Fugitt has been shooting video for 2 years on our trips in Raja Ampat. She has finally started editing and is
creating a series of short videos, each made from one day's dives

There are two new videos filmed in Raja Ampat by Deb that have just been put online.

One of them is Deep Water Mangroves, and the other is Silversides on the Reef, two great areas
in Raja Ampat with colorful inhabitants

Raja Ampat Videos

Edited by Tonym, 30 September 2008 - 07:59 AM.

#2 scorpio_fish

scorpio_fish

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1412 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 10:28 AM

That a great looking model in the mangrove video. He's got excellent buoyancy control. I can just tell by looking at him he must be a great photographer. :offtopic:
"Me, fail English?.........Unpossible!"

#3 Tonym

Tonym

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 11:07 AM

That a great looking model in the mangrove video. He's got excellent buoyancy control. I can just tell by looking at him he must be a great photographer. :offtopic:

Hey George, I thought that you would have seen it before now, aren't you on the mailing list?
It will be hard to replace you as a photographer not so sure about as a model.

#4 scorpio_fish

scorpio_fish

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1412 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 01:41 PM

Apparently I been blacklisted from the mailing list :offtopic:

Right now it wouldn't matter. My domain name expired without me knowing it. The revival process is slow and painful.

It will be next week before my old e-mail works.

#5 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 30 September 2008 - 04:14 PM

Nice one.
How clear is that water.
Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#6 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3023 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 30 September 2008 - 08:27 PM

WOW! It's very hard to believe that those are Deb's first editing attempts. I really liked the Silversides and the sych with the music was really nice. Thanks for putting it up.
Steve

The Fin Foundation
My Images on Flikr

Canon7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#7 stewsmith

stewsmith

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1586 posts
  • Interests:World travel
    diving
    photography
    winding Drew up

Posted 01 October 2008 - 12:12 AM

great stuff. the silverside video reminded me of my trip last year to komodo.....

Edited by stewsmith, 01 October 2008 - 12:41 AM.

Canon 5D MK2 - Sea and Sea housed - 17-40L 100mm - Sigma 15mm FE - twin YS250 pro's and gadgets galore

http://www.euphoticzoneimaging.com

#8 Tonym

Tonym

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 03:17 AM

It will be next week before my old e-mail works.

George, when you get your email fixed go to Cityseahorse.com, there is a newsletter sign up button there, along with various other links for info about Raja Ampat.

Edited by Tonym, 01 October 2008 - 05:48 AM.

#9 Tonym

Tonym

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 04:03 AM

Nice one.
How clear is that water.

DebF here on Tonym ID.. as I can't seem to resurrect my ID unused since '04...

Mangroves: Vis varied throughout the day. Very clear early morning and until after noon. Then tide changed and crud floated in from the mangroves. Much of the stuff in the water late afternoon is tiny jellyfish (too small to make out in the online version but very cool to watch with the sun rays on a big monitor or TV). V clear again at night.

Silversides: Very clear .. maybe 100ft vis. That one made before I had the WB control so the deep stuff is kinda weird colors.. lionfish, clown trigger at 80-90ft ...

Vis can change wildly in a matter of hours.

DebF

#10 Tonym

Tonym

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 04:20 AM

WOW! It's very hard to believe that those are Deb's first editing attempts. I really liked the Silversides and the sych with the music was really nice. Thanks for putting it up.
Steve

Thanks!

Yep.. I installed Edius Neo during a surface interval on the 12.1" laptop I carry on trips to do email and accounting. Still doing my editing on it in the office.

I made one quick DVD to play at the Long Beach Show, just dragged in some 5-10 min. clips. These are my next two attempts at editing. The actual editing seems really easy (maybe because I'm not using an Adobe product?).

Getting these two, with all the busy scenes, dark scenes, and high movement into Flash and looking good - not so easy. Maybe impossible???

The idea of creating each video from only 1 day's dives makes it easier as I don't allow myself to worry about going after better stuff from other days. Hard to limit to 5 min. even doing that.

DebF

#11 vazuw

vazuw

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 12:11 PM

WOW great video. I'm even more excited now knowing Ill be there with you guys in a few weeks. victor

#12 Tonym

Tonym

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 01:23 PM

WOW great video. I'm even more excited now knowing Ill be there with you guys in a few weeks. victor

Victor, Please wear your best looking wetsuit and mask so that you can model and look good like
David Bearden and Bruce Magun did in the Silversides on the Reef Video.

#13 vazuw

vazuw

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 02:01 PM

Ill try to find one without holes, and pee stains

#14 scorpio_fish

scorpio_fish

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1412 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 05:04 AM

Ill try to find one without holes, and pee stains

Why do you have holes and pee stains in your mask? :offtopic:

#15 RickM

RickM

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 05:57 AM

Watching the silversides flow back and forth across the reef is mesmerizing! I could blow bubbles and watch that for hours.

Very nice work

#16 Tonym

Tonym

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 05:12 AM

Watching the silversides flow back and forth across the reef is mesmerizing! I could blow bubbles and watch that for hours. Very nice work

RickM.. Thanks for the compliment. I LOVE swimming with the silversides (or any good sized school of fish) and days like the one in the "Silversides" video are my favorites. Fortunately I get the chance to do it regularly as we do several trips in Raja Ampat every year for the last 9-10.

:) Since it is so shallow and we are doing "open deck" where we can practically stay in the water all day, I've got lots of footage (I even skip meals) ... can practically keep the video shooting an entire dive.

I've got some tapes that I've shown on a friend's HDTV and those watching said I could just put them to music with no editing. I think they would be an excellent way to put one to sleep! :blush:

But when you are there it is really more exciting that just watching - what with the jacks and other fish attacking the balls, funnels and streams of formations of silversides. Sometimes even schools of Mobula Rays are going after them, but I've only got the rays on still photos so far.

Posted Image Posted Image

DebF

#17 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10632 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 10:42 PM

Deb/Tony
If you've forgotten your password, in the log in screen there is the Lost/Forgotten password option. If you can't remember your ID, contact the admin.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#18 debf

debf

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Interests:diving, video, photography, traveling, sorbet & Miniature Schnauzers

Posted 10 October 2008 - 10:49 AM

Deb/Tony
If you've forgotten your password, in the log in screen there is the Lost/Forgotten password option. If you can't remember your ID, contact the admin.

Well... that was quite the experience. Contacted the admin.. maybe.. the form confirmation keep giving an error, so was never sure it got through. Tried a few times. After some days with no response, I put a catchall on a mailbox on 2 of my domains and started using the "forgot my password" form trying to guess what email address I used to subscribe to see if I could get a password emailed to me. This wasn't easy as the CAPTCHA is unreadable about 75% of the time, so it would take 3-4 attempts at each email address. Finally I found an address it recognized and got the password. I had set up a special email address only to subscribe to wetpixel (not used anywhere else) and then deleted the address when it started to get spam. So.. now I'm able to reply again.. but nothing to say! .... except "Whew!"

DebF