• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#21 manatee19

manatee19

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Interests:U/W photo columnist and contributor to Diver Magazine (Vancouver) and En Profondeur magazine (Montreal), multimedia production.

Posted 08 October 2008 - 04:42 PM

Got something going on early that night but may drop before the bar closes....

:)

Michel

Edited by manatee19, 08 October 2008 - 04:42 PM.

Michel Gilbert
www.sub-images.com

#22 ehanauer

ehanauer

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Chicago Cubs baseball, Mac computers, swimming, Porsches

Posted 09 October 2008 - 08:27 AM

I've got an event starting the same time, but will try to stop by on the way.
Eric
www.ehanauer.com

#23 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 09 October 2008 - 08:55 AM

Can I come? Will you let a crusty old hack in, even if he only drinks soft drinks?

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#24 Viz'art

Viz'art

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1496 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 09:15 AM

John, Has long as you don't start a row on politics :blink:
Jean Bruneau / Aquatica Technical Advisor

www.vizart.ca

www.aquatica.ca

Aquatica Pro Digital housings for D-300s, AF 10-20mm, AF 10-17mm, AF 14MM, AF 17-35mm, af 17-70mm, AF 20MM, AF 60MM, AF 105MM, 2x Ikelite Ds 160, and TLC arms exclusively

#25 underwatercolours

underwatercolours

Manta Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • Interests:skinny dipping, sailing, snow skiing, water skiing, art galleries, classic cars, flying

Posted 09 October 2008 - 05:09 PM

I'll be stopping by. I look forward to seeing some of your smiling faces again.

Bonnie

#26 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent

Posted 12 October 2008 - 12:30 AM

John, Has long as you don't start a row on politics :blink:

Gosh, I learned my lesson there!!!

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#27 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 04:17 AM

Gosh, I learned my lesson there!!!

I thought the politics discussion you started has been very civil John. Now see if you can repeat the discussion when folks are loaded up with a few drinks. :blink:
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#28 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2855 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 04:46 AM

I thought the politics discussion you started has been very civil John. Now see if you can repeat the discussion when folks are loaded up with a few drinks. :fool:

Probably safer for John to do something like poke a stick into a hornet's nest, no? :blink:

#29 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6181 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 12 October 2008 - 05:33 AM

he could always show up dressed in drag and impersonate Palin..

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#30 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2855 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 05:43 AM

he could always show up dressed in drag and impersonate Palin..

Not sure, Tina Fey has it down pretty well. But it is always worth a shot anyway.

#31 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6181 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 12 October 2008 - 06:20 AM

Not sure, Tina Fey has it down pretty well. But it is always worth a shot anyway.

How about Thatcher?

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#32 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2855 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 06:28 AM

How about Thatcher?

That could work since there will probably be less competition, though neither Thatcher nor Palin dress appropriately enoung.

Hmmm, Maryilyn Monroe is a bit cliche so that would not work well.

How about Cleopatra? Though also a bit cliche I believe the proper garb to convey that imitation properly raises it past the clicheisness (new word there) for these purposes.

#33 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 23 October 2008 - 05:01 PM

Hey guys. We have the location!

Place: The Las Vegas Hilton, North Tower 8th Floor, Rooms 121 and 123
eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#34 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 11:06 AM

I was gutted that I could not make it. Luckily I was able to arrange for a look-a-like to go in my place, and apparently he made the most of the free bar...

:)

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#35 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 10:16 PM

We're trying to post more updates. We're all still feeling like zombies after getting the party shut down last night. :)
eric cheng
www | journal | photos

#36 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent

Posted 27 October 2008 - 06:20 AM

Thank you Wetpixel for the free drink. I was hoping to meet some of you that have taught me so much here but I had to leave BEFORE THE BIG BOUNCER THREW YOU ALL OUT OF THE ROOM!

#37 underwatercolours

underwatercolours

Manta Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • Interests:skinny dipping, sailing, snow skiing, water skiing, art galleries, classic cars, flying

Posted 27 October 2008 - 08:23 PM

There were a lot of cameras at that party but I have yet to see any of the incriminating pictures. Are we all protecting each other? Maybe I'm going to be sorry I asked. I left before the end because I didn't want anyone taking pictures of me getting hauled off in hand-cuffs. There were a few Wetpixel people I finally had the pleasure to meet and still a few more I missed in the crowd. Thank you Wetpixel for one of the best DEMA parties I've been to in a long time! Each year it gets better.

#38 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 11:29 PM

WETPIXEL / DIVEPHOTOGUIDE COCKTAIL PARTY
http://wetpixel.com/...cocktail-party/

October 23, 2008 - 7:00 PM

For the past few years, Wetpixel has been throwing happy hours at DEMA, which have been supported by some of our sponsors.

This year's cocktail party was thrown in conjunction with DivePhotoGuide, and was sponsored by Amphibico, Aquatica, Backscatter, INON America, Reef Photo & Video, Marine Camera Distributors, and Worldwide Dive and Sail. THANK YOU, sponsors, for making the party possible!

Last year, we held our party in a roped-off alcove at the host hotel in Orlando and had about a hundred people show up; it was pretty much the perfect place to throw a little happy hour. Las Vegas didn’t have an obvious place to throw such a party, so Jason Heller and I decided to rent a suite at the Hilton for the party. Being a destination event, we assumed that we would lose a good percentage of people to Las Vegas evening events, and planned for the arrival of about 40 people.

We vastly underestimated.

I don’t know how many people showed up, but it was well over 100. Virtually every company that provides equipment to the underwater photography and video industry showed up, along with dozens of photographers and videographers. As a bonus, Sea Shepherd arrived, heading directly to our party from the airport. More than once, I heard people say, “Is that Paul Watson? That is SO COOL.”

I have to say that when I first walked into the room at 7pm, my first thoughts were ones of worry. “Whoah. This is, like… a hotel room.” The alcohol hadn’t even arrived yet, and there were already 20 people in the suite, just sort of standing around. The first two drink runs dried out within an hour, forcing Eli, Shawn and me (and Matt, Matt, and Adam) to run out to get more—a LOT more (man, you people drink a lot. :uwphotog:, and the room was so packed that it was hard to walk around. The air conditioning struggled to keep up with our collective body heat, and the heat forced some folks to flee.

Most people seemed to get used to the ambiance after a few drinks, and seemed to genuinely enjoy the party. “It feels kind of like prom night,” said Jenny Collister.

At about 9:30, hotel security arrived, and we sent Jason out into the hallway to negotiate. Since we had planned the party through Hilton events, we refused to shut it down, and over the next couple of hours, the hotel sent progressively larger and larger security personnel to “negotiate.” Finally, at around 11:30pm, a giant appeared, and I started turning off the lights in the room in an attempt to get people out the door.

Thank you, everyone, for such a great evening! It’s not often that you get everyone in the industry together in a single suite. :P
eric cheng
www | journal | photos

#39 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 11:31 PM

Special thanks to ADAM LAU for taking all of these photos. I didn't even bring a camera. :uwphotog:

Posted Image
Michaela Brockstedt of Wetpixel Quarterly, right, helps bartend at the Wetpixel/DivePhotoGuide cocktail party on Day 2 of DEMA 2008.

Posted Image
Matt Segal makes a break from the Wetpixel/DivePhotoGuide party to grab dinner on Day 2 of DEMA 2008.

Posted Image
Eric Cheng and the Sea Shepherd crew (Shannon, RJ, Kristine, Alex) at the Wetpixel/DivePhotoGuide cocktail party on Day 2 of DEMA 2008.

Posted Image
Eli Woolery chats with Dan Baldocchi and Berkley White

Posted Image
Packed house! We need a bigger venue.

Posted Image
Wetpixel / DivePhotoGuide cocktail party -- packed

eric cheng
www | journal | photos

#40 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 11:31 PM

Posted Image
Mark and Mike (Worldwide Dive and Sail) and Kathy and Randy (NCUPS)

Posted Image
Wetpixel / DivePhotoGuide cocktail party

Posted Image
Eli Woolery of Wetpixel dials a beer at the Wetpixel/DivePhotoGuide cocktail party on Day 2 of DEMA 2008.

Posted Image
Michaela hangs out with a friend

Posted Image
Jason and Wendy Heller of DivePhotoGuide at the Wetpixel/DivePhotoGuide cocktail party on Day 2 of DEMA 2008.

Posted Image
Jean (Aquatica), Eric (Wetpixel), John Bantin (Diver), Mike "Mini-Me" and Frank "I'm full of poo" (Worldwide Dive and Sail)

Posted Image
Berkley White (Backscatter), Jeff and Juan Carlos of the Deep Blue, and Eric

Posted Image
Scott Bennett of X-Ray Magazine and Matt Segal of Wetpixel at the Wetpixel/DivePhotoGuide cocktail party on Day 2 of DEMA 2008.

eric cheng
www | journal | photos