• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 26 June 2003 - 06:09 AM

Here are a few shots from recent diving w/ the 12-24. I tested it with 4 different sized extension rings looking for the best results.

This post has a shot at 12mm with no extension ring - 8" dome port only. A bit soft in the corners. The lower left is probably due to limited depth of field, but the right corner is in plane w/ the diver and still not sharp.

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#2 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 26 June 2003 - 06:13 AM

Here is another shot w/o an extension ring.

Watch out or the Hogfish might run into you!

Cheers
James
Dual Ikelite Strobes

#3 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 26 June 2003 - 06:16 AM

Here's a shot of one of the researchers (measuring conch) taken using the 8" dome with a small extension ring (about 10mm). I'll need to go home and measure it again to be sure.

Cheers
James
Dual Ikelite Strobes

#4 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 26 June 2003 - 06:18 AM

And another shot w/ the extension ring

Cheers
James
Dual Ikelite Strobes

#5 scorpio_fish

scorpio_fish

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1412 posts

Posted 26 June 2003 - 06:31 AM

Which extension ring? The one for the 105mm?

Before the extension ring specifically for the 17-35mm, it was recommended to use two 105mm extension rings together.
"Me, fail English?.........Unpossible!"

#6 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 26 June 2003 - 06:34 AM

Hi George,

Yes, I'm pretty sure that's the one - although I can't say for sure w/o going home and checking my notes. I'm at work a.t.m. It was pretty short.

I used the rings for the 105, 17-35, and 15mm (as well as combinations of the above.)

Cheers
James
Dual Ikelite Strobes

#7 Rick

Rick

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 June 2003 - 12:29 PM

Your signature line says you have a Fuji S2 Pro and an Ikelite housing. Were these shots taken with the Ikelite housing?

#8 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 26 June 2003 - 12:55 PM

Whoops! Sorry for the confusion. I was using the 12-24 in the Aquatica housing with the 8" dome port. No diopter (aka closeup lens) was needed. I'll edit my sig line to avoid confusion in the future.

On the extension ring. The right one I found to be the ring for the 15mm lens. It is NOT the extension ring ring for the 105. When I get back on my feet from this trip, I'll post more photos w/ the various combos and what Fstop the shots were taken at.

Cheers
James
Dual Ikelite Strobes

#9 robmcmahon

robmcmahon

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 26 June 2003 - 02:06 PM

James,

As you seem to be an officiado on the extension ring front can I ask, what if any you would recommend for use with a S2 and a 18-35.

Would I be right in assuming that a different ring would be needed if I was to mount the same lens on a N90s ?

Apologies if I am taking this thread of topic, put I am just about to place an order so desperate for correct info. :freak:

Thanks.

#10 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 26 June 2003 - 02:20 PM

Necessary extension ring will be different for each camera/housing/lens combination. I don't understand if you are asking about an N90 or an S2 and if you are talking about the Aquatica housing or a different housing.

Aquatica makes a specific extension ring for the 90s - but I'm not sure if the configuration of the S2 in the housing is the same. I have the 18-35 but haven't tested it w/ any of the extension rings yet.

I'd be happy to do some consulting for you for a nominal fee...;-) I'll even write a nice report w/ photos...

Cheers
James
Dual Ikelite Strobes

#11 scorpio_fish

scorpio_fish

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1412 posts

Posted 27 June 2003 - 02:42 AM

Aquatica extension rings/lens combos will be the same for N90, F100, D100 and S2 as they ultimately use the same port system and position the camera lens in the same position.

I have the latest, greatest lens/port/extension spreadsheet and will be happy to e-mail it to anyone who wants it. Of course it has a big ? mark for the 12-24mm.

It just lists the extension ring part # and doesn't provide the actual spec length of the extension itself.
"Me, fail English?.........Unpossible!"

#12 robmcmahon

robmcmahon

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 27 June 2003 - 05:07 AM

Necessary extension ring will be different for each camera/housing/lens combination. I don't understand if you are asking about an N90 or an S2 and if you are talking about the Aquatica housing or a different housing.

Aquatica makes a specific extension ring for the 90s - but I'm not sure if the configuration of the S2 in the housing is the same. I have the 18-35 but haven't tested it w/ any of the extension rings yet.

Sorry my fault I was confusing extension rings with extension tubes. I will go away and read the glossary before posting anymore daft queries.

I have the latest, greatest lens/port/extension spreadsheet and will be happy to e-mail it to anyone who wants it. Of course it has a big ? mark for the 12-24mm.

Thanks for the info it will definitely be handy as it covers any lens I could dream of buying.

#13 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8374 posts

Posted 30 June 2003 - 02:03 AM

Thanks for posting the pictures, James. Very interesting - boy is it wide!

I'm not familiar with the Aquatica housing and therefore your setup but I think corner sharpness would be improved by using a longer extension ring and a dioptre. Subal reccomend a 60mm extension ring on their 8" dome with the 18-35 (which is a similar size to the 12-24mm).

These would help to correct the standard dome problem of the plane of focus curvature. The result is that the plane of focus moves further away from the camera in the corners - rendering them out of focus. In other words excellent for photographing a football - useless for photographing a cave.

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (waiting for housing).

#14 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 30 June 2003 - 05:33 AM

Hi Alex,

Actually, I wasn't as pleased when using the extension ring for the 18-35 (I tried that one too). The two lenses are very different. The 12-24 focuses much closer, and the front element does NOT move while zooming or focusing (nice!!!). I also think that the nodal point in the 12-24 is further back in the lens due to the reduced image circle it projects. Make sense? I don't see any need to use a diopter and I try to avoid using any extra glass if I can help it. I do have an excellent B&W 77mm diopter which I can try out sometime.

So here are some shots taken using the ring for the 18-35:

http://www.reefpix.o.....e 2/index.htm

And here are some shots taken with the smaller ring for the 15mm (about 1.5cm):

http://www.reefpix.o.....e 3/index.htm

and

http://www.reefpix.o.....e 4/index.htm

I realize it's not a very accurate comparison because I haven't included the EXIF - so can't say what f-stop I was using. I hope to do a followup article with that information shortly.

Cheers
James
Dual Ikelite Strobes

#15 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8374 posts

Posted 30 June 2003 - 06:06 AM

Thanks for sharing the rest of your shots - they are definietly persuading me towards thinking about buying one. But because of the different shooting conditions and lack of EXIF its hard to judge the corner sharpness issue. I guess swimming pool tiles might prove the best test?

I agree that if the nodal point is further back on the 12-24mm then a shorter extension ring would be best. I'd definitely try a +2 or +3 diopter too.

I'm only making a suggestion based on my own (limited) feel for dome optics. I'm sure there are others on wetpixel with more knowledge of domes who might have more useful input. Certainly the problem of corner sharpness isn't just associated with the 12-24 and their advice would benefit all.

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (waiting for housing).