• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JamesWood

JamesWood

Wolf Eel

• Scientific Photo Expert
  • 102 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 04:18 AM

New Scientist featured a recent publiation on squid ink as an alarm signal. In this series of experiements we used video to both record experimental trials and to communicate our results. I suspect that part of the reason that this work was featured was the image and videos.

http://environment.n...heir-lives.html

I strongly encourage all Wetpixel members that are scientists, educators or divers to fully utilize their underwater photography skills when sharing their love for the marine environment with others. We have an ability to let people see what we see through our photography.

Cheers,

James
Dr. James B. Wood
Associate Director of the Waikiki Aquarium
The Cephalopod Page

#2 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 06:21 AM

Interesting little study; I know you mentioned that removing the melanin will result in no reaction, will the squid react if you just squirt in any ink or pigment of similar color?
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#3 JamesWood

JamesWood

Wolf Eel

• Scientific Photo Expert
  • 102 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 12:27 PM

Interesting little study; I know you mentioned that removing the melanin will result in no reaction, will the squid react if you just squirt in any ink or pigment of similar color?

We did not test that but my guess is that that they would react to a squirt of any dark colored ink.

James
Dr. James B. Wood
Associate Director of the Waikiki Aquarium
The Cephalopod Page

#4 ATJ

ATJ

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Photograph, Marine Biology

Posted 23 October 2008 - 02:27 PM

Great work, James.

It does make sense that visual would be better than chemical because visual will be much faster and also cephalopod eyes are so good.

I wonder if the same thing happens with the more solitary cephalopods like cuttlefish and octopus.

#5 MIKE POWELL

MIKE POWELL

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 04:05 PM

OUCH ...somebody give that squid a BC Powder Stat!! My guess is the squid damaged it's melon on the glass as it "ran for it's life" only to prove what it already knew - INK=ALARM.
Visit My Website

7D Nauticam + Z240's