• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jonny shaw

jonny shaw

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1318 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 12:47 PM

So I am a video guy and have a limited 'film' stills understanding so this may be dumb question apologies if it is.
My girlfriend has a collection of older but still very good Nikon lenses that she shoots with. He has been messing around a little with underwater point and shoots but is possibly looking to changing to a DSLR. So question is I believe that the Nikon mount hasn't changed but will older full manual lenses work with a D300 or D700 for example? If they do what are the limitations etc.

Any advice would be great,

Cheers

Jon

www.ginclearfilm.com
www.facebook.com/ginclearfilm
GATES DEEP EPIC Based in Sydney

#2 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 01:27 PM

So I am a video guy and have a limited 'film' stills understanding so this may be dumb question apologies if it is.
My girlfriend has a collection of older but still very good Nikon lenses that she shoots with. He has been messing around a little with underwater point and shoots but is possibly looking to changing to a DSLR. So question is I believe that the Nikon mount hasn't changed but will older full manual lenses work with a D300 or D700 for example? If they do what are the limitations etc.

Any advice would be great,

Cheers

Jon

The answer is yes, with some limitations.
I did a quick google search 'using old nikon lenses' and there's a number of links that have tables for various lenses, cameras etc.
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#3 jeremypayne

jeremypayne

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1199 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 01:33 PM

The answer is yes, with some limitations.
I did a quick google search 'using old nikon lenses' and there's a number of links that have tables for various lenses, cameras etc.

http://www.kenrockwe...bility-lens.htm

I know there's some strong feelings out there about KR ... but this page seems pretty useful ...
Jeremy Payne
My Website

#4 jonny shaw

jonny shaw

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1318 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 03:02 PM

http://www.kenrockwe...bility-lens.htm

I know there's some strong feelings out there about KR ... but this page seems pretty useful ...

Thanks guys

www.ginclearfilm.com

#5 ATJ

ATJ

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Photograph, Marine Biology

Posted 28 October 2008 - 03:40 PM

It depends on the lenses and how "old". My 12 year old Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D lens works perfectly well on my D300 - some might even say better than the newer 60mm f/2.8G ED.

#6 jonny shaw

jonny shaw

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1318 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 04:20 PM

It depends on the lenses and how "old". My 12 year old Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D lens works perfectly well on my D300 - some might even say better than the newer 60mm f/2.8G ED.

Her camera is an FM2 so I reckon it is circa late 80's so are the lenses so I reckon they could work well. I may try and borrow a D300 / D200 from a mate and let give em a go.

Thanks

www.ginclearfilm.com