• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Decomike

Decomike

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 05 May 2002 - 12:32 AM

I not sure if this is a strobe/slave problem or not. I hope somebody can explain the exposure difference in these foto's:
http://members.lycos..._test/index.htm

Whem I take a picture in the mirror of my self I can see the 2 flashes, from the internal and external strobe.
I'm using a Canon G2 with a DS50 strobe and remote sensor.

Gr. Mike.

#2 bobjarman

bobjarman

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 10 May 2002 - 05:10 AM

Mike,

You didnt tell us what power setting the stobe was on when the strobe was in manual mode it looks like it was full power. But nonetheless, I think you have some unexpected results.

I would have expected images # 1141 and 1144 to be identical. Since the g2 Powershot uses a full flash dump on manual and no preflash, you would think that the DS125 on TTL would have mimicked that and given you a full dump, just like the blown out shot #1144 where both the camera and the Strobe were on manual.

1142 looks slightly overexposed, but part of that is that you have some reflective objects and the aperture was wide open. That may be that the strobe couldn't quite shut down fast enough. A lot of members here have talked about the need to use flash exp comp on the G2, especially in macro and close up modes.

On 1143, it looks to me like the strobe cut off too soon. The fact that you took pics on full power and they were blown out so much indicates to me that the sensor shut down the strobe too fast and not that the strobe wasnt powerful enough to light the scene.

I would package it all up and sent it to Ike for testing. Write your concerns down and send the pics you posted. They will test the sensor system and you'll know in a short bit. One thing i can pretty much say with certainty. Ikelite will make you happy in the end, they always do!

Bob

#3 ikelite

ikelite

(In Memoriam)

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 10 May 2002 - 10:57 AM

Inconsistent exposure is the frustrating indication of a nutty sensor. We would appreciate the opportunity to replace if you will forward directly to us............

ike

#4 Decomike

Decomike

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 11 May 2002 - 04:27 AM

Thank you Bob,

you got the same conclusion as I got. One note, the DS50 has only manual (full power) and TTL. So there is no power settting for Manual.

And of course thanks to Ike. I send you an e-mail with some questions. Again a experence why I'm so happy I choice a Ikelite product.

Gr. Mike.