• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 jonny shaw

jonny shaw

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1299 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 11:38 AM

Within geographical areas including Seas or even Oceans? The answer is hundreds of species have become geographically extinct due to commercial fishing. A lack of awareness is part of the problem.

Cheers, Simon

Seriously Simon I actually looked into this during my degree, yes commercial fisheries have caused a collapse of fisheries but that does not mean extinction. Do a little research and I will be surprised if there is one caused directly from commercial fisheries.

Cheers

Jon

www.ginclearfilm.com
www.facebook.com/ginclearfilm
GATES DEEP EPIC Based in Sydney

#22 srijiva

srijiva

Sea Nettle

• Industry
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 02:11 AM

So what causes fish extinction and why is everyone so worried about the sharks and blames the fishermen, what's all the fuss about Jonny?

Surely it's hypocritical to be a conservationist and underwater enthusiast and still eat fish???

#23 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 06 November 2008 - 03:28 AM

Before this derails, let's remember that the last time we had this conversation here, it did NOT result in a good discussion.

Sri -- fantastic work on the cut. It's beautiful and powerful. I'm going to highlight it on the front page...
eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#24 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1379 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 04:15 AM

I can come across a little unforgiving when this topic comes up for discussion, so apologies if I sound like a raving banshee :bottled: No one wants to fall out with anyone over this and I'm certainly not trying to wind anyone up or make anyone look silly ... however it is a fact that species have become extinct within geographical areas due to commercial fishing and I'm not just talking about the collapse of the fishing stock or individual species becoming not viable to fish commercially.

By geographical limits I'm not talking about individual bays or stretches of coasts either, but entire seas or even oceans. Two recent examples off the top of my head. Firstly the Angel Shark was declared biologically extinct in the North Sea due to commercial fishing. Secondly the Oceanic White Tip was declared biologically extinct in the Gulf of Mexico due to commercial fishing and that was just a bycatch fishery and not even a targeted one. Unfortunately the list goes on and on and on and when you add on marine mammals the number increases yet again as we have had seal, whale and dungong extinctions due to commercial fishing.

Species like Cod are more resistant and despite massive targeted fisheries I think you are correct in stating that they have not been declared extinct due to commercial fishing. However when a targeted fishery collapses it very often never returns. Off the top of my head within UK waters we have had Cod, Sardine, Pilchard, Herring and Haddock fisheries all collapse and never return. Move onto other areas and target them there and eventually you will drive them to extinction. Like I said in my previous post we are running out of 'next targets'.

I'll sign off now, but I hope no one has taken offense. Personally I blame Steve for bringing the topic up and Sri for posting that video in the first place!! :P

Cheers, Simon

#25 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6167 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 06 November 2008 - 05:00 AM

Sri, I wasn't offended but just thinking about the possible reactions. I know the Zoo crew... so Jason, I know you guys wouldn't try that here. :bottled: You still going to Indo later this month? I'm at the island on monday I think.

You figure out where yet?

Join us for our Lembeh and Bunaken Photo Workshop 12-19 May 2014
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#26 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2837 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 06 November 2008 - 09:40 AM

Yeah Simon, go on and blame the poor old guy. Didn't think it would be such an extended conversation but it was a healthy one never the less.
Steve
www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
www.worldfilmsandtravel.com

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#27 jonny shaw

jonny shaw

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1299 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 01:20 PM

No offense taken at all Simon and healthy discussion is always thought provoking.
My true belief is that our oceans are in serious trouble and by saying that there hasn't been any extinctions (total not geographical) does not mean there isn't an issue. There is an a massive one certain fisheries are in a dire problem and certain methods are so destructive that they should be stopped now; shark, deep sea and benthic trawling just to name a few. I also wonder if fishermen were made to count bycatch in their quota then that would actually cause them to address that huge issue and make them fish smarter.

This is always a topic that stirs strong emotions, I don't think the thread has derailed yet either.

Cheers

Jon

www.ginclearfilm.com
www.facebook.com/ginclearfilm
GATES DEEP EPIC Based in Sydney

#28 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 01:39 PM

Yeah I agree with Simon... If you eat fish you suck !!! how do you sleep at night.. I cant believe anyone would eat those stinking, fin wearing, salty tasting freaks of the ocean... ;) :guiness:

Personally i do not like seafood.. 90% because i don't like the smell/ taste 10% ethics... As all stocks dwindle I think we should look at our eating habits... At least for the time being...

Dive safe

DeanB
Facebook me ;)
NOW ON SKYPE !!! ... deanb69
www.waterwolf-productions.co.uk

#29 Jason SZ

Jason SZ

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 08:36 PM

Sri, I wasn't offended but just thinking about the possible reactions. I know the Zoo crew... so Jason, I know you guys wouldn't try that here. ;) You still going to Indo later this month? I'm at the island on monday I think.

Hi Drew,
Where are you now?
We leave for Jakarta on Monday, then Ambon on Tuesday and finally the village the following day - Wednesday.
Where will you be staying and how long for?
My contact still hasn't confirmed the accom is booked so may be sleeping on the beach! We will be there for 2 weeks, hopefully long enough to get some feeding this year.
Just returned from a month in Tonga on a BBC shoot, absolutely knackering but great encounters, have posted a few pics on my flickr - http://www.flickr.co...s/30283068@N02/

Look forward to catching up next week,
J

#30 shawnh

shawnh

Shawk Man

• Senior Moderator
  • 1398 posts
  • Interests:UW Video, UW Photography Diving, Telemark Skiing, Cycling, Travel

Posted 17 November 2008 - 11:39 PM

Sorry I am late to the action...just returned from 2 weeks of conservation filming in Raja Ampat. Firstly Sri, I found this piece truly inspiring and masterfully done. Your work is commendable! It was art, science, and conservation wrapped nicely in one compelling package. And...the footage was stunning.

I am also inspired to see more folks creating more works that call out the conservation message. I seem to be spending most of my film work these days focused on exactly this. And, I have to say at this point there is no way to inflate the seriousness of the state of our oceans. If all the thousands of members of this forum quit their jobs today and went on a crusade to chanting "our oceans are dying now", it would still be a mass understatement of how bad it is.

I have the good fortune (and sometimes burden) of filming projects in some of the most "pristine" and "protected" spots in the ocean. What I am documenting on a daily basis is appalling and tragic. The environmental abuses and species destruction are beyond description. This video offers a real view into this state, and inspires me to keep going and improve.

Thank you again for sharing this!

Shawn

P.S. Jason...sorry I wasn't able to join you but project ran over time and need to get back to the states.
Canon 5D MII - Aquatica Housing - Sola 4000 Lights - Wahoo HD Monitor & Sony EX1 - Gates EX1 Housing - Fathoms UWA Lens
www.bluespheremedia.com

#31 srijiva

srijiva

Sea Nettle

• Industry
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 08:05 PM

Hey

Can I forward a few of you guys to http://forums.creati...dpost/27/857086

Where there is another slant on discussions about this film.

Thanks again

Sri