22 replies to this topic

#21 StephenFrink

StephenFrink

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 04:41 AM

That is a difficult question. Neither is 100% perfect, but if you get both set up correctly, both will give entirely acceptable results. A lot of people don't get them set up correctly. I don't think I have reached the optimum on the D700 with the 17-35mm, but if and when I buy a camera, I will experiment in detail and share my findings.

I also think that the pop-up flash/optical TTL option on the Subal D700 would be useful. I should have mentioned the lack of it in my review. The downside of it is that it limits you to using Japanese strobes which all have colour temperatures above 5400K. :)

Alex

Alex - Have you had a chance to experiment with 14-24 on any full frame camera/housing combination yet? I've seen a few posts with images but nothing from a controlled, scientific perspective meant to test corner performance and comparative angle of view.

The comparison of optimal achievable image quality from 14-24 vs. 17-35 (both on full frame) vs. 12-24 (on cropped sensor) would be very enlightening, especially with a Tokina 10-17 thrown in there on cropped sensor just to demonstrate yet another option.

I'd do the test but I shoot Canon, and therefore don't have any of the necessary cameras and lenses and housings. Is there some Nikon shooter out there willing to take on the task?

Edited by StephenFrink, 23 November 2008 - 06:24 AM.

Stephen Frink - www.stephenfrinkphoto.com
Publisher - Alert Diver Magazine
Distributor/North America - Seacamusa.com
Travel - Waterhousetours.com

#22 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8374 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 01:57 PM

Hi Steve,

No, I have not tried the 14-24mm underwater. And I agree it would be great to see some back to back testing of the three options you suggest.

For me it will have to wait until I own a full frame camera - as I don't even feel I have an optimal setup for the 17-35mm yet - and when I get my mitts on kit for review there isn't the time to really experiment.

So I suspect someone will beat me to doing it, and I hope that they will be generous enough to share the results.

I have two moe trips left this year and I might shoot full frame on the second one. If I do I might try and borrow a 14-24mm (they did offer).

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (waiting for housing).

#23 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10629 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 07:22 PM

I remember Ryan the Lion did write something about the Subal 10" dome and corners?

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.