Photo

OWU 2009 and DEEP 2009 competitions open for entries!

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 06 November 2008 - 06:55 PM

Posted Image
PRESTIGIOUS INTERNATIONALUNDERWATER PHOTOGRAPHY & VIDEO COMPETITION SERIES ANNOUNCE 2009 COMPETITIONS – OVER $75,000 IN PRIZES AND GLORY UP FOR GRABS

The "Superbowl" of International Underwater Image & Video Competitions Celebrates The Beauty, Mystery & Plight of The Oceans With Categories For All Levels From Novices To Professionals

New York, NY (Oct. 14, 2009) – Photographers of all levels will help celebrate the beauty, mystery and delicacy of the marine environment as the 4th annual international underwater photography and video competition series hosted by UnderwaterCompetition.com kicks off this week. The competition has become the "Superbowl" of international underwater imagery competitions, with over $75,000 of world-class prizes, major industry involvement, and the opportunity to have your images showcased to the world as some of the best. Esteemed judges include leading professional underwater photographers, cinematographers and magazine editors from around the world.

FULL DETAILS HERE:
http://wetpixel.com/...o-competitions/
eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#2 jimbo1946

jimbo1946

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • Interests:Scuba, UW photography, land photography, reading, driving my wife/dive buddy nuts!

Posted 10 November 2008 - 12:21 PM

Eric, I guess I'm just missing it, but where in the rules or the upload form does it mention the categories? ;)
Jim Chambers
Tucker, Georgia

Nikon D300 in Aquatica housing with housed SB800 flash.

#3 yahsemtough

yahsemtough

Great Canadian Mokarran

• Senior Moderator
  • 3495 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 12:39 PM

http://www.underwatercompetition.com/
Todd Mintz
tmintz.com
all photographs posted © Todd C Mintz

#4 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 01:06 PM

Click into the rules and guidelines of a competition, and you'll see the categories...
eric cheng
www | journal | photos

#5 jimbo1946

jimbo1946

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • Interests:Scuba, UW photography, land photography, reading, driving my wife/dive buddy nuts!

Posted 10 November 2008 - 01:28 PM

I need a seeing-eye dog who can also read. Thanks! ;)
Jim Chambers
Tucker, Georgia

Nikon D300 in Aquatica housing with housed SB800 flash.

#6 vetdiver

vetdiver

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • Interests:Running, hiking, attending beer festivals, and coveting shoes and new dive gear.

Posted 20 November 2008 - 05:31 PM

Hi -

Are there photo manipulation guidelines for the Novice category anywhere? (Nothing crazy - 10% crops, dodging/burning, that sort of thing.) I'm not seeing 'em...

Thanks a bunch -

Allison
Canon 7D_Subal housing_ YS250 strobes

www.avitsky.com

#7 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 06:10 PM

Nope! You can do what you'd like -- it's should be an unrestricted category. I'll check on the wording...
eric cheng
www | journal | photos

#8 davichin

davichin

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1104 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 04:22 PM

I am trying to upload pics but keeps telling "Error, you must select a file..." which I have tried several times. Anyone else?
I guess is my fault for waiting until the last day!
D300, D7000. 10.5, 10-17, 16, 10-20, 17-70, 60, 105, 150 Hugyfots, Subtronic Novas, Seacams 350, YS250s, YS-D1s
Aqualung Team
www.davidbarrio.com

#9 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2854 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 04:33 PM

I am trying to upload pics but keeps telling "Error, you must select a file..." which I have tried several times. Anyone else?
I guess is my fault for waiting until the last day!

FWIW I tried just now and it worked fine. Note that if you do not put a location in you will get an error message. Are you able to browse to a file on your computer and select it? Sounds like you have since you tried several times, but figured I would put that out there, the file has to be selected as part of making an entry and if you try to submit an entry without a picture as part of the entry, could be the issue.

Hopefully Eric or some of the others from the contest can see what is happening.

#10 ornate_wrasse

ornate_wrasse

• PipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 11:16 PM

I am trying to upload pics but keeps telling "Error,

It seems you're not the only one that's getting error messages.

I've been able to upload the image from my hard drive, but after I enter all the information they're asking for, e.g. Title, Location, Shutter Speed, Aperture, etc, and hit the submit button, I get a message that says "There has been an error submitting your entry. You must submit your photo to at least one active competition"

I had told it earlier when I registered what competitions I was entering, then it asks again, Enter Photo in the Following Competitions but doesn't seem to have a space to enter it (unless it goes in the Title box)

If anyone has the fix to this situation, I've got my listening ears on. I'd like to enter at least one of my Indonesia pics! :blush:

Thanks.

Ellen
D300, Subal housing, Focus Fix Light, Tokina 10-17mm, 60mm, Sigma 17-70, 105mm VR, Inon Z240 (2)

www.pbase.com/ornate_wrasse

#11 davichin

davichin

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1104 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 12:28 AM

It seems you're not the only one that's getting error messages.

I've been able to upload the image from my hard drive, but after I enter all the information they're asking for, e.g. Title, Location, Shutter Speed, Aperture, etc, and hit the submit button, I get a message that says "There has been an error submitting your entry. You must submit your photo to at least one active competition"

I had told it earlier when I registered what competitions I was entering, then it asks again, Enter Photo in the Following Competitions but doesn't seem to have a space to enter it (unless it goes in the Title box)

If anyone has the fix to this situation, I've got my listening ears on. I'd like to enter at least one of my Indonesia pics! :blush:

Thanks.

Ellen

Hello Ellen,

My pics were already lighter than 5 mb (4.8...) but I made them around 3 mb and was able to squeeze them.

Your error may be because you don´t tick the competition (and then category) prior to hit the upload button.

Good luck!
D300, D7000. 10.5, 10-17, 16, 10-20, 17-70, 60, 105, 150 Hugyfots, Subtronic Novas, Seacams 350, YS250s, YS-D1s
Aqualung Team
www.davidbarrio.com

#12 ornate_wrasse

ornate_wrasse

• PipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 07:07 AM

My pics were already lighter than 5 mb (4.8...) but I made them around 3 mb and was able to squeeze them.

Your error may be because you don´t tick the competition (and then category) prior to hit the upload button.

That's good you were able to squeeze them in :blush:

In my case, I'm sure I checked the competition and category (Novice for me!) boxes before the upload page even appeared. Now, on the page where I'm uploading the image(s), there isn't even a place to check competitio/category.

I'll try again today.

Thanks.

Ellen
D300, Subal housing, Focus Fix Light, Tokina 10-17mm, 60mm, Sigma 17-70, 105mm VR, Inon Z240 (2)

#13 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8374 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 07:09 AM

I have passed on these queries - and hope to have some answers to share soon.

If there are system problems that stop you entering I am sure that provisions will be made to get your images into the competition.

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (waiting for housing).

#14 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8374 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 07:21 AM

Glitches should all be fixed now. So get uploading.

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (waiting for housing).

#15 ornate_wrasse

ornate_wrasse

• PipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 11:05 AM

Glitches should all be fixed now. So get uploading.

Thanks Alex for taking care of these glitches promptly. I do appreciate it.

Ellen

#16 Nakedwithoutcamera

Nakedwithoutcamera

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 12:49 PM

I had absolutely no problems (well, except for entering the f-stop which only let you put in 2 characters so I shot with an aperture of 56. :blush: ) But I let Jason know and he fixed it.

I told him that it was so easy to enter. What a great website. It was a snap for technologically challenged people like me.
Ellen B.

#17 scorpio_fish

scorpio_fish

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1412 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 02:06 PM

In my case, I'm sure I checked the competition and category (Novice for me!) boxes
Thanks.

Ellen

Yup, novice for me too! :blush:
"Me, fail English?.........Unpossible!"

#18 davichin

davichin

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1104 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 02:46 PM

In my case, I'm sure I checked the competition and category (Novice for me!) boxes
Thanks.

Ellen

Yup, novice for me too!

Cheaters!!! :blush: :P
Aqualung Team
www.davidbarrio.com

#19 cor

cor

The Hacker

• Admin
  • 1993 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 10:50 AM

The competition deadline was extended for 1 day due to the glitches. So you can still submit entries today!
Cor Bosman - Nikon D2X Subal ND2 - Nikon D7000 Subal ND7000
website | tripreports/journal | facebook | wetpixel map | twitter

#20 LauadiBaby

LauadiBaby

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 07:24 PM

At 7 PM PST tonight (Jan 16), something happened to the upload page, and the only competition that appears as an option for submissions is DEEP. I though both competitions were extended until 11:59 PM PST on Jan 16. Is it just me?
EQ