Posted Image
Eric Cheng - Administrator, Wetpixel -

#2 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 01 July 2003 - 02:53 AM

Info and experience packed review James - of what I think is probably the best DSLR combination available at the moment (I'm sure that comment will cause contention).

One thing I don't understand is why the housing has TTL and manual flash synch sockets. Surely, with the S2 TTL depends on the setting on the flash and not on the housing/camera? Or is this just a carry-over from the D100 housing that won't be on the production version?

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#3 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 01 July 2003 - 05:33 AM

Hi Alex,

Thanks for the kind words about the review. I appreciate them a lot.

The way I understand the "bulkhead thing" is that you can order them in any combination that you wish. The unit I tested had a 5 pin TTL and a manual bulkhead. I think you're right that this is probably the same configuration that comes stock on the AD100 housing. I tried using both bulkheads as I was shooting manual flash.

I personally would order the housing with two TTL bulkheads for the redundancy - even though I don't use the TTL very much anymore.

Cheers
James

And PS - Yes, I agree with you that this is the camera/housing combinaton to beat right now. The 12-24DX lens wrocks!
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#4 CDesperado

CDesperado

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 01 July 2003 - 05:41 AM

From James' review of the Aquatica housing....

"I decided to use buoyancy arm segments to help offset the weight of my strobes -- especially for better balance when shooting macro with the strobes out in front."

James, would you mind sharing a little more about these "bouyancy arm segments"? I am curious... are you using some sort of small device to provide positive bouyancy to the rig to help offset the weight and make it more neutral? I hadn't ever thought about doing that before, but it's a fantastic idea.

#5 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 01 July 2003 - 05:47 AM

They were originally designed for the Nikonos RS.

http://www.ulcs.com/armclamp.htm

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org