Nikons 15mm

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Rogier Willems

Rogier Willems

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:Free diving, Spreafishing, Abalone hunting. Underwater Photography

Posted 19 November 2008 - 08:05 PM

How can I tell the difference between the first and later model 15mm UW Nikkor lens?
The first version had a longer barrel that blocked the light sensor in the Nikonos IV & V camera's.

When searching on Ebay how can I tell the difference?

#2 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8366 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 01:48 AM

The barrel length (outside the camera) is longer on the newer one.

This is a newer one:
Posted Image

Can't find a picture of the old one with Google!

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (waiting for housing).

#3 Eyematey

Eyematey

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 03:05 PM

I would have to go look but the older models were longer on the inner portion of the lens. That interfered with TTL sensor on NIK V. Newer ones are about 1/2" or less from inside glass to o-ring groove. Be sure to ask the seller.

How can I tell the difference between the first and later model 15mm UW Nikkor lens?
The first version had a longer barrel that blocked the light sensor in the Nikonos IV & V camera's.

When searching on Ebay how can I tell the difference?

#4 Rogier Willems

Rogier Willems

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 11:18 PM

Thanks for the reply's :P

But without having the two different ones next to each other to compare the barrel length I still don't know how to see it on a picture.
Is there a difference in name or serial number or some other characteristic that helps me to the differentiate these lenses?

#5 Deep6

Deep6

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 09:31 AM

Thanks for the reply's :P

But without having the two different ones next to each other to compare the barrel length I still don't know how to see it on a picture.
Is there a difference in name or serial number or some other characteristic that helps me to the differentiate these lenses?

Try Nikonusa.com under Service & Support tab. You can submit a question to the techies. There is a fair chance that there is a difference in the SN series. Please post their response.

Regards,
Bob

Carpe carp - Seize the carp

#6 ikan

ikan

Starfish

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 05:32 PM

Thanks for the reply's :)

I believe the original 15mm f/2.8 had serial numbers 15XXXX whereas the later f/2.8N retrofocus model had serial numbers starting at 200001. Apart from the serial number range, there was no difference in the markings on the front dome retaining ring.

The length of the cylindrical section of the lens body that contains the distance and aperture scale window and controls is noticeably different between the two versions. If you view the lens side on with the scale window visible then on the original lens this cylindrical section is not much longer than the depth of the window and the controls are very close to the front section of the lens.

Posted Image
Rear view of original lens with controls close behind rear of dome and showing rear element extended well back from the mount.

In the later lens the cylindrical section of the body is significantly extended with the window being about a third of the length of the cylinder. The cylindrical section is stepped so that it has a smaller diameter nearer the mount. The controls are in this part which puts them well back from the front dome section of the lens (see image in Alex's post).

Posted ImageLater lens showing position of the the controls and window.

Richard

Edited by ikan, 21 November 2008 - 05:42 PM.

#7 Rogier Willems

Rogier Willems

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 08:18 AM

Richard

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR ALL THE EFFORD !!!