39 replies to this topic

#1 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3049 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 20 November 2008 - 10:19 PM

Just wondering if I had missed the release of Alex's DVD. Has anybody seen the place to purchase? I got lost on Alex's website looking at all the images. Maybe I missed it. I'd appreciate any help, Santa is waiting..... :P

Ho, Ho, Ho!
Steve

The Fin Foundation
HSWImages.com        My Images on Flikr

Canon 5D Mk III, 7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#2 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 12:10 AM

Hey Steve,

We're just trying to test the NTSC version (which involves posting one to the States and waiting for someone to watch it). The PAL one is ready and we may make it available from today! But we're trying to wait for both to be right until we make them available. An important element of the DVD is colour - and we want people to be able to watch on their TV (not just their laptop - where the colours can look a bit flatter) - so we want to discourage people in the States getting the PAL version, even though they will be able to play them on their laptop.

I'll try and imbed a clip.

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#3 aussie

aussie

Tiger Shark

• 544 posts
  • Interests:Diving - most weekends, music, photography

Posted 21 November 2008 - 03:11 AM

Looks great Alex! Forget the NTSC version, get the PAL's out for those who want them in other countries!
Pedlow Photographics
My Flickr
On Twitter

Canon EOS 7D. Aquatica A7D. Inon Z240's. Canon, Tokina and Sigma glass.

#4 bruceterrill

bruceterrill

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 04:58 AM

I'm ready for the 'Colonial' (PAL) version right now.
And Steve,
"Buggar Santa, I want it for meself..." . . . . :P

Hooroo,
Bruce...

#5 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3049 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 08:06 AM

Thanks for the update Alex, we'll be patient. I'm assuming you have someone on this side of the pond reviewing it for you. If not I'd be happy to volunteer but you'd probably get it to the east coast faster, Maybe some of the video pros would be better judges of the color quality. Good luck with it, it's a great idea for us "visual learners".

Hey Bruce, my wife started getting the stuff she wanted and wrapping it up and putting it under the tree to her from Santa. I figured I'd try it this year. :P
Cheers!
Steve

The Fin Foundation

Canon 5D Mk III, 7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#6 E_viking

E_viking

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • Interests:UW Photography, Diving,
    Skiing & Mountaineering

Posted 21 November 2008 - 10:25 AM

NTSC = Never The Same Colour :P

Steve, I agree that the Xmas presents that you buy to yourself are the best ones :)

/Erik

Nikon D800, Nikon 60, 105, 16-35, Sigma 15, Nauticam D800, Zen 230mm, Subsee +5 & +10, 2*INON Z240

#7 PRC

PRC

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1163 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 11:35 AM

NTSC = Never The Same Colour wink.gif

When I was in that industry line it was "Never twice (the) same colour".

Just for balance ( do we do balance??) PAL was of course "Picture at last".

Paul C
Nikon D300, Subal, 2 * Inon 240
Water Temp (just cold & Nasty)
My Pictures

#8 bmyates

bmyates

Great White

• Team Wetpixel
  • 975 posts
  • Interests:UW Photography, motorcycles.

Posted 21 November 2008 - 02:17 PM

I've been chomping at the bit to get one, too, Alex! But I do understand you wanting to get it just right before release...just please let us all know as soon as it can be ordered!!

Bruce Yates
www.UnderwaterReflections.com
Canon 5DMkII in Aquatica, 1DsMkII in Seacam, G15 in RecSea...Inon Z240's...too many lenses
"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damned fool about it." WC Fields

#9 bruceterrill

bruceterrill

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 05:43 PM

Geez, that Alex fella is such a pre...?, purr...?, perfeckshun photo taking fella. No wonder he wins so many prizes. . . . :)

Thanks for the update Alex, we'll be patient. I'm assuming you have someone on this side of the pond reviewing it for you. If not I'd be happy to volunteer but you'd probably get it to the east coast faster, Maybe some of the video pros would be better judges of the color quality. Good luck with it, it's a great idea for us "visual learners".

Great ideas coming from your direction Big Stevie. . . . We now need a more 'pocket friendly' visual learning device for us 'visual learners' who can't yet do Elements/Lightroom without constant tinkering...

Hey Bruce, my wife started getting the stuff she wanted and wrapping it up and putting it under the tree to her from Santa. I figured I'd try it this year. :P
Cheers!
Steve

Stevie, my wife gave me an early X-mas present this year. . . . she left!
Now all the prezzies are mine. . . :monkey:

Bruce...

#10 NCmermaid

NCmermaid

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 07:50 PM

Today was my first day out with the filter since I picked it up at DEMA from Alex. OH MY GOD!!!!!! I got incredible results under less than perfect conditions. (ho-hum subject matter, not great viz and sometimes overcast conditions.) Took three dives to really sort it out but I am SO hooked! I can't wait to get back out again! Looking forward to seeing the video.
Nikon D300, S&S MDX300 housing, YS90DX & 110 strobes, ULCS arms, Tokina 10-17mm, Tokina 12-24mm, Nikon 60mm macro

My Galleries:
http//www.karendoody.com

#11 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 09:32 AM

Quick update.

I am off to the Red Sea on Thursday am. So I have made the DVD available to buy on the Magic Website. The PAL version is available now and will ship as soon as ordered. The NTSC version seems OK. But we are waiting to hear that they work on a variety of NTSC TVs and DVD players from the several people who we've sent them to. If all is OK, as we anticipate it will be, this will ship as soon as we have confirmation.

So I guess you could say we are on soft opening. The DVD costs 15 GBP, which is $23 USD and €18 at today's exchange rates. If any Wetpixel Admins are reading this - this is not front page news yet!

The price is considerably cheaper than other instructional DVDs for UW video and stills (including Photoshop) that are on the market and I'd like to make the point that "Shooting Magic" is cheaper because it is designed to help you get the most out of our product, which viewers will have either already bought or are considering buying. The total content time is 90 minutes.

Alex

Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#12 Cerianthus

Cerianthus

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 10:36 AM

Is there anything specifically aimed at green water magic in the DVD ?,
Gerard

My photo's on flickr
Crop the world ! (Using Canon 20D, 60mm, 100mm, 10-17mm FE, Ikelite)

#13 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 01:03 PM

No. Sorry Gerard.

We thought about it, but decided against it as the techniques are quite different from in tropical waters (long exposures etc). Also far less people use this filter, and most who do are experienced photogs using it as a tool for getting the results they want already - and not in the market for an instructional vid! Plus our DVD is already pretty full at 90 minutes and a 2 disc set would have put the costs up considerably.

We do intend to address it in the future, but in a different project.

Alex

#14 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3049 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 07:26 AM

Hi all,
Alex mailed me a copy of the new Magic Filters DVD to see if it played well on the US format. My review is on the front page. The short version; It's a beautiful thing. It looks really good on the home player and exceptional on the Blu-ray player. :unsure:

Have fun,
Steve

The Fin Foundation

#15 Beach Bum

Beach Bum

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 06:23 PM

Hey There Steve
I just ordered my DVD, hope it gets here soon, going back to Bonaire in a couple of weeks and want to give the Magic Filter a try. I bought the blue water and green water filter last summer. The green water works pretty well and I can't wait to try the blue water. Thanks for the review.
Mike

#16 aussie

aussie

Tiger Shark

• 544 posts
  • Interests:Diving - most weekends, music, photography

Posted 15 December 2008 - 07:40 PM

Nice review Steve! I have a feeling a mate in the UK is getting me a copy as well as a blue water filter, can't wait to try them out.
Pedlow Photographics
My Flickr
On Twitter

Canon EOS 7D. Aquatica A7D. Inon Z240's. Canon, Tokina and Sigma glass.

#17 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3049 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 08:40 PM

Thanks Guys!
I'm hoping to try mine out in Cayman next month. When you get the DVD be sure to watch both the P&S and the DSLR chapters. Great stuff in both. I'm thinking of putting a filter on my wife's P&S Canon and carrying it in my BC pocket just for fun.
Cheers,
Steve

The Fin Foundation

#18 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2135 posts
  • Interests:Diving medicine, warm water, scenery...

Posted 16 December 2008 - 01:13 AM

Steve:

At the risk of hubris, is the DVD entertaining enough for experienced (-ish) Magickers to justify getting a copy?

Tim

:unsure:

#19 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3049 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 07:41 AM

At the risk of hubris, is the DVD entertaining enough for experienced (-ish) Magickers to justify getting a copy?

Hi Tim,
That's a great question and one I'm not sure I can answer for you. I guess it would depend on how happy you are with your filter images. For me there is always something else to learn and God is in the details.
From an entertainment standpoint I had fun watching it (5 times now) and have shown segments to my wife and even non-diver photography friends to share what we do when shooting. They liked the shipwreck sequences and how the light and color changes with sun angle. I also think it would be very useful for experienced folks who don't get to shoot all the time to take along on a dive trip as a refresher. For 15 pounds it's hard to go too far wrong. Maybe Santa can bring you a copy. :unsure:
Have fun,
Steve

The Fin Foundation

#20 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 08:25 AM

Hi Tim,
That's a great question and one I'm not sure I can answer for you. I guess it would depend on how happy you are with your filter images. For me there is always something else to learn and God is in the details.
From an entertainment standpoint I had fun watching it (5 times now) and have shown segments to my wife and even non-diver photography friends to share what we do when shooting. They liked the shipwreck sequences and how the light and color changes with sun angle. I also think it would be very useful for experienced folks who don't get to shoot all the time to take along on a dive trip as a refresher. For 15 pounds it's hard to go too far wrong. Maybe Santa can bring you a copy. :D
Have fun,
Steve

he,he....5 times, I'm sure if I come over to your place the first thing you'll want to do is show me your Super 8's of the kids. :unsure:
Seriously though, I've watched the video for Alex as well. I think it's great, but definitely aimed more for the new or potential user. As Steve says, there's always something to learn, especially from guys like Alex, though if you've used the Magic Filter a lot you'll find it more of dive video with a few pointers thrown in.
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.